• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

How to succeed quitting tobacco with the e-cig. A newcomers SA guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaporista

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Cape Town, South Africa
Ok Boys and Girls. I thought since I've now been around the block and have managed to kick the tobacco habit and make the successful crossover into the wonderful world of the e-cigarette, I'd share my experiences with you. This is just a guide based on my experiences and it is intended for those of you who are currently heavy tobacco users, smoking between 20 and 40 cigarettes per day.

Of course everyone is different, BUT if you smoke between 20-30 filtered or unfiltered strong cigarettes per day and you want to make the successful and painless transition into e-smoking this guide is for YOU.
I've removed the trial and error and share my direct experiences.

1. Bigger e-cig is Better e-cig Actually, buy the biggest e-cigarette starter kit you can afford. Get the penstyle. Do not waste your time and money with anything smaller Forget the small cigarette lookalike e-cigs.
If it's not a penstyle with a flat mouthpiece extension like the DSE 801 or the M201 you are wasting time and money. Here's why: You need a big atomiser (to create lots of vapour and throat hit) and you need a big battery (to power that atomiser which allows it to create big vapour and big throat hit). It's as simple as that. Manual or Automatic? It doesn't matter. An automatic is just that. You draw as you would on a normal cigarette and the vapour is created. With a manual or push button e-cig, the vapour is only created when you push the button. You draw and push the button the same time. If you can afford it, buy two starter kits.
Here's why: You need a back up. It's as simple as that. Atomisers will fail.They have a lifespan of anywhere between 1 week and 2 months. The longest I've had in daily use lasted 3 months. Batteries will fail constantly and need to be recharged on average every 3-4 hours. If you are out and about it's always a good idea to have two chargers going at home and two fresh batteries in your pocket. Therefore the solution is to have a pair of e-cigs should one component fail (which it will sooner or later) and you will be prepared and you will not panic when there's a failure.
But don't stop with a pair of e-cigs. Once you quit smoking regular cigarettes you will need a big gun for a big nicotine fix in a hurry. The biggest gun we have currently available to us in South Africa is the Janty Stick. We cannot get the Prodigy yet. Both of these devices and others like them known as "screwdrivers" do not look like e-cigs at all. Think of them as nicotine Intravenous delivery devices without the needles:D
I find the best solution is to have the e-cigs like the M201 and or a DSE 801 for mobile use and have the Janty Stick for fixed home use. By fixed I mean have it plugged into a wall socket via usb or into your ipod charger (gives more power than your computer) Have it where ever you spend the most time in the house. It's ok for mobile use though without being plugged in- unplugged, it will be about as effective as the M201 with a filled cartridge- which in my experience is by far the strongest battery powered automatic e-cig. (excluding the e-cigar) The DSE 801 runs a close second place. However if you drip your e-liquid directly onto the atomiser in the DSE 801 you will have have a good clone of the M201 with its filled cartridge. Both then perform the same. But if you drip onto the M201 you will get more throat hit than the DSE 801 and considerably more vapour. The M201 delivers far more throat hit than the DSE 801 but this comes at a price as the batteries suck. So in short if you like to drip then the DSE 801 is the tool and if you like to fill your carts then the M201 is the better tool. The nice thing about the M201 is that the atomiser will fit on the Janty Stick and it's bigger than the atomiser on the Janty so you have interchangable parts right there.
The Janty stick is most useful for getting your nicotine blood levels up in a hurry, like first thing in the morning. Stick in a cart with your morning coffee or tea, plug it in and vape away. It's good when you are really craving cigarettes on the first day or three of quitting tobacco. It kills the cravings dead where the M201 and the DSE 801 just take off the edge. It's good for when you want an intense vaping session like when you're working on your computer or even watching TV and you don't want to worry about batteries. The usb powered Janty delivers unbelievable throat hit and generates vapor second to none. Even the M201 lags far behind. Be warned though, you can get carried away and suddenly realise you've had too much nicotine. So easy does it. You'll know when you've had too much.
Now for the liquid nicotine or e-juice or e-liquid. In my experience only 24mg juice will make the transition from tobacco to electronic cigarettes a painless and craving free one. Get some favours in 24mg and start with these. Then have a few flavours at 18mg and 15mg (Twisp high is 15mg by the way) Try a few suppliers and find some liquids you like. Your best starting point is to find a reputable supplier and we have them on the forums. I've tried vaping101's juices. I highly recommend them. Ask the supplier what is his/hers most popular juice. Some flavours sell and others don't. Get your 24mg and don't waste time with anything under 24mg if you are a 20 or more a day smoker, because you won't get enough nicotine to remove the cravings completely. Once your initial cravings are satisfied you can experiment with lower nicotine content juices.
In the beginning you will have a honeymoon period with e-cigs. You will experiment a lot to try and find what works for you. You will alternate between e-cigs and regular tobacco. What you will find is that you will begin to prefer the taste (but definitely not initially) of e-cigs over tobacco cigarettes. When you are ready to quit smoking tobacco cigarettes it will be easy as long as you are vaping 24mg juice. That has been my experience. 24mg juice (and higher) is very hard to find in this country at the moment. None of the e-cig companies like NPRO and TWISP supply it. You wont find it on the shelves of any pharmacy or store. You will find it via online suppliers and it's but a phone call or a click away.The time will come when you try a tobacco cigarette and you simply will find the taste unbearable. You will inevitably put it out halfway and you will notice at the same time that your brand no longer satisfies the "throat hit" requirement you've now come to expect from vaping.
An easy way to make the crossover for good is to remember just how bad your regular cigarettes tasted and how weak they felt when you've been vaping a bit. Chances are you will not look back. However you must have spare parts-spare batteries, spare atomisers, spare cartridges, and most important of all, you must have the right juice and don't run out. We've got some great liquids out there and we've got some really horrible watered down liquids out there of unknown origin. There are scammers and people out there in it for a quick buck. You need to avoid these and find the reputable suppliers. When done right, with the right tools and right supplies, your e-cig experience will be a positive and very pleasurable one.
Give up those nasty tobacco cigarettes for once and all. I never thought I could until I discovered vaping and I still have all the pleasure without actual cravings for tobacco. I hope you will too.

stephenrowley

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
We have found a manufacturer that can mass produce the screwdriver, they will be sending samples to us over the next few weeks, they have yet to give me pricing, seen as it will be mass produce I am sure we will see prices drop, I will keep you all posted, we will only be ordering 20 to see if we have a market for it, in our experience no matter what you tell people they still want the one that looks like a real cig when they 1st make their purchase, hopefully they will see your post and take note

Stephen

Last edited:

Vaporista

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Cape Town, South Africa
Thank You Mr. L and I'm sure I've left a few penstyles out though...but no matter as long as it's a big e-cig and none of that mini nonsense.
Mind you the Janty Stick is not the be all, end all, If I could lay my varnished fingertips on a screwdriver the Janty Stick would be consigned to a dusty shelf, but alas, for now it will have to do.:D
The only gripe I have with the Janty Stick is that because it gets so hot, it burns the filling material in the carts pretty frequently and that's the grossest taste.
Maybe Stephen will send one of the new screwdrivers my way. I'll be the Lab rat.:D

Great write up Vaporista. Nice one.

I would like to add to what has been said - also from personal experience.

I totally lacked the will power to quite smoking. I took up vaping as a last hope. Over a period of 2 months vaping naturally took over until cigarettes just tasted horrible and I never wanted another one. 2.5 months now and counting. And with absolutely zero effort.

Doug_Dread

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Jo'burg, South Africa
HI Vaporista, I will send you one to review, keep in touch with me, we will have them hopefully by 13 November, we are only brining over 20 units if all goes well we will import them more often.
You can't base your market on only one person's opinion, simple marketing 101!! You need at least one more opinion...... mine. :thumbs:

stephenrowley

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Hi Doug,

Nice try :D. However I am sure Vaporista will do a fair and honest review, if what she says sounds good to you, you can get yourself one, we will see if we can bring the price down some more, will not know till we have cleared through customs and VAT has been paid but could be less the R799:thumbs:

The Specs

3.7V by 900 Mah battery with 901 atomizers

Hi Doug,

Nice try :D. However I am sure Vaporista will do a fair and honest review, if what she says sounds good to you, you can get yourself one, we will see if we can bring the price down some more, will not know till we have cleared through customs and VAT has been paid but could be less the R799:thumbs:

The Specs

3.7V by 900 Mah battery with 901 atomizers

Vaporista is very much a HE Stephen :) I was also caught out by this until he decided to show himself off via skype vid :)

stephenrowley

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Hi Vaping 101,

Sure no problem. I hope they really perform up to standard, I have been using the 510 for a while and charging batteries all the time is a pain in the ..... The 900 mah battery should last most of the day. Although I am not sure if I will use it in public people may think I am using a crack pipe 8-o

Mr Lamco

Sep 8, 2009
South Africa
Sounds good Stephen, would like to try it before I commit though! I am really enjoying the cigar, so would hate to lash out out cash on something that is almost on a par with the SD. Saying that though I think the Voltage is just about right, because the Prodigy for example burns out the attys very quickly! Glad you bring em in, should sell like hot cakes

Aucorium

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2009
Cape Town, South Africa
I am going to the UK later this year and was thinking about picking up a screwdriver, however they are (comparatively speaking) quite expensive and there isnt a great deal of accessories for them like USB passthroughs and what would it be like getting spares through. So Stevens supply would be quite appealing.

Then there is the Janty stick (or Twisp stick here) looks like it has a few more accessories for it and a supply locally but all I see all there is on the Twisp site is spare batteries. Once again quite an expensive device.

Looking at some of the China suppliers websites they are starting to produce some of their own versions of the stick, so I am thinking of waiting until they get a bit more mainstream.

The thing is, I am currently maintaining stocks for about 3 e-cigs and I cant just settle on one, all have pro's and con's. For my next cig i'd like to buy a good all rounder so its one set of spares for everything.

I am thinking in the interim (to settle my curiosity) of getting a M201 or M401, but not sure which one would be the best to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread