The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How to tell glass from polycarbonate?

Discussion in 'Carto Tanks' started by irehc77, Apr 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. irehc77

irehc77 Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 3, 2013
    Northern Michigan
    I purchased several protank mini's that I knew were clones. What I did not know was that they were plastic and not glass tanks! Found out the hard way filling them with a Mountain Dew type of e-liquid. They felt heavy like glass and I thought they were. Is there an actual way to test or know if they are glass without having to wait and fill them to see if they melt or break?
    Any help would be appreciated!

2. Giraut

Giraut Moved On

Dec 6, 2013
    Hit it with a hammer. If it shatters, it's glass :)

Joke aside, plastic should feel slightly warmer to the touch. Also, if you press a razor blade sideways lightly on the edge of the tube, it'll bite into the material, while it should skip and make a slightly "crunchy" noise on the glass.

3. Rat2chat2

Rat2chat2 ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2013
    Fantasy Island
    Most of the vendors I have used will say if they are glass or poly. If they do not I would email them the question. Thank you for posting this because it is good information to know. :) After I crack a brand new vivi tank.......I started buying nothing but glass and I think they cleanup better and you can change the flavors easier without the flavor lingering in the tank. Good luck to you.

4. GeorgeWachsmuth

GeorgeWachsmuth Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 19, 2014
    Riverhead, NY, USA
    Frankly, I think its unethical to keep selling plastic tanks without cautions or warnings on the packaging. Clear warnings. I will never recommend or buy one ever again.

5. dice57

dice57 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 1, 2013
    Mount Vernon, Wa
    I prefer using juice with cinnamon in it, will frost out and crack any poly/plasti type tank instantly, well at least by the end of the first vape, if not sooner. Hate doing the hammer test, cut my foot last time. lol.

Personally, I won't buy any tanked atomizer, unless it comes in a full Stainless Steel version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.