How to tell if your coils are ruined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdubbie

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2013
Dallas
So this is driving me crazy, but determined to figure it out ... My first protank head hit perfectly for 5 days, then out of nowhere it started dragging very anemically. Then the next three heads after had the same weak fire. (I thought it was my vamo, but after taking all the suggestions here, it still fires my cartomizers, t3, mt3 heads like a champ, loud and continuous, just the protank and viva nova are bad)

So after doing a lot of reading on protanks heads, coils, etc ... i see a lot of people say things like ... "You probably popped your coil" or "Your coil is bad" ... "Just replace the coil"

My question, how do you know if the coil is actually bad? Can you tell by looking at it, or only by performance? What does a "popped" coil actually mean? The vamo still reads the ohms correctly, just weak fire ... I did pop the center post off the protank head, but not really sure what to look for in a "ruined" coil.

Thanks for any feedback.

ps - I am going to start rebuilding my coils, nuts to buying new ones if it's as easy it looks in the videos I have seen

Last edited:

kdubbie

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2013
Dallas
If you pop a coil the vamo will read 9.9 on the resistance check, meaning the wire has broke somewhere in the coil

Great thanks a lot ... Since I can read the ohms on the Vamo and no visible breakage on the coil on each head I tried, I assume I didn't pop the coil...Can coils go bad without popping them?

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
Great thanks a lot ... Since I can read the ohms on the Vamo and no visible breakage on the coil on each head I tried, I assume I didn't pop the coil...Can coils go bad without popping them?

Gunk builds up on as previously stated, this can cause them not to function correctly and to have increased resistance. You said you tried dry burning and now it taste burnt. Other members soak the head in a Pure Grain Alcohol, like everclear or cheap high proof vodka overnight to reduce the buildup. Just make sure you rinse them under water and allow to dry before using, high proof alcohol burns pretty easily. If you aren't getting the 9.9 reading, your coils probably haven't popped.

Steven Pye

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2012
Herkimer NY
Gunk builds up on as previously stated, this can cause them not to function correctly and to have increased resistance. You said you tried dry burning and now it taste burnt. Other members soak the head in a Pure Grain Alcohol, like everclear or cheap high proof vodka overnight to reduce the buildup. Just make sure you rinse them under water and allow to dry before using, high proof alcohol burns pretty easily. If you aren't getting the 9.9 reading, your coils probably haven't popped.

vinegar works pretty good too with hot water

Glen Snyder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I did do a dry burn on one of them and since that, it totally tastes burned ... probably fried the wick
You need to thoroughly remove all the gunk from the coil, pulse fire the coil until it glows evenly and quickly and the wick is pure white. If your flavor wicks have black on them toss them and replace with silica or cotton.

Steven Pye

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2012
Herkimer NY
Really? How hard is it to flush it clean after?

I remove my atty head from my clearomizer and use 1/4 vinegar to 3/4 really hot water and let sit for a few hours- I then drain, and soak again using 100% hot water.

not only does it get the coils cleaned of gunk, it removes tough flavors like menthol and bubble gum

using this method I have had my Innokin iClear 16 heads last for weeks on end

if you are using clearos that dont have removable heads I would think that taking the vinegar solution and letting it soak for a few hours then flush 3-4 times with hot water

:vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread