The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How To: The New and Improved NicoStick

Discussion in 'Battery Mods' started by nicowolf, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. nicowolf

nicowolf Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Nov 9, 2008
    near Akron, OH, USA
    In light of the responses I have received both on the forum and in private messages, I have decided to revamp the NicoStick and its ECF thread. Safety has become a concern of mine and I feel it is my duty to incorporate safety into any instructions I give.

So without any further ado, let me introduce to you the New and Improved NicoStick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The safety features are: a kill switch to prevent accidental activation during transport, a PROTECTED battery to prevent explosions and fires due to unintentional misuse of batteries, a switch large enough to handle the current, and a recessed atomizer to avoid excessive stress on the atomizer/battery joint.

2. LuckySevens4U

LuckySevens4U Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 8, 2009
    USA
    Wowowowowowow!!!!!!!!!! Very nice! I'm also glad about all the safety features. Very smart!

3. Sun Vaporer

Sun Vaporer Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida
    NicoWolf --that is the best MOD I have scene to date--I think we can all say that Nicowolf deserves a full round of applause for this one!!!!! With all those protection fetures and a battery life to beat the ban---this one gets the full thumbs up--------Thanks again for all your hard work and I think Janty will now have a run for its money!!!--Sun:thumb:

4. LuckySevens4U

Mar 8, 2009
    USA
    I agree, Sun, just awesome. Safety should be #1 with these mods and I do hope others follow! WTG Nicwolf!!!!!!!!!

5. nicowolf

Nov 9, 2008
    near Akron, OH, USA
    Here is a side by side comparison of the New NicoStick and the previous version.

[​IMG]

Both have the kill switch. Both have the recessed atomizer. The size of the box and the battery have gone up to accomodate a PROTECTED battery ( I keep using all caps because that word is extremely important). The battery used in the earlier versions of the NicoStick is not protected. That means that I, as the end consumer, must be extremely careful NEVER to overdischarge the battery and to ALWAYS use ONLY a charger with overcharge protection circuitry. If I run that battery down too far and then put it on a charger I run the risk of the battery being unable to accept a charge, or worse yet, causing an explosion and/or a fire. Please research your battery carefully and do NOT use any li-ion battery that is not protected. The new box already has the kill switch in it so requires less effort.

6. nicowolf

Nov 9, 2008
    near Akron, OH, USA
    Thank you both soooooo much for your support in this. In my zeal to make the smallest mod I could dream up, I neglected the battery safety issue. I posted and instructed a mod using an unprotected cell. Now, there are people in the world with Shortcutters' Disease (I was among them), who will run off follow the instructions to the letter without researching first. That would be a very real risk to life and property. That is why the original how to will be deleted once I have finished this one. I also hereby promise not to make any mod for anyone else that does not accomodate a protected battery and include instruction to purchase a protected battery and a protected charger. This issue is even more important to me after getting some PMs from some folks with Shortcutters' Disease - the desire to do it right now and cheap and without research and knowledge scared the bejeebas outta me8-o.

7. Multisync98

Multisync98 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 17, 2009
    Stephenville, TX
    Hey Nico! You've once again done a FINE job! I agree with everyone else, Safety is a MUST now days! So the fact that you took the time to impliment these is not only safe for you, but safe for any customers you may have. (Didn't know if you planned on selling these)

I do have a question for you, that is, if you know. Are CR2's Protected?

-Jim

Again, GREAT work!

8. LuckySevens4U

Mar 8, 2009
    USA
    I so respect what you have done Nico. So what if it's a bit bigger when it's truly safety that matters the most! I think it looks awesome!!! How does it vape?

9. pipe6078

pipe6078 Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 8, 2009
    texas
    looks great i love these mod threads

10. Sun Vaporer

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida

Jim--you need to buy PROTECTED CR2'S --here is a link to a source I use---Sun

See Ultrafire 3.6V 880mah Protected Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery RCR123A CR123A 16340 CR16340

11. fenez

fenez Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2009
    N.Y
    nico you make such nice mods, you are an inspiration to every modder I am sure.

12. TWiz

TWiz Full Member ECF Veteran

Feb 24, 2009
    Canada
    Hey Nico -

This design looks phenomenal!

Would you mind posting a complete parts list with sources?

13. Multisync98

Multisync98 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 17, 2009
    Stephenville, TX
  14. nicowolf

Nov 9, 2008
    near Akron, OH, USA
    This time I will go through the parts list more thoroughly and provide links since the parts are from more than one place.

The box came from Battery Space.
    Battery holder: 2 x AA Covered Battery Holder with On-Off Switch - RoHS Compliant - BB2AA
    It already has a kill switch in it and does not require any extra modification like my RS box did. The price is better than RS, but shipping is more unless you order several at once (the shipping price is the same for one or 20).

The switch came from Radio Shack.
    3A 125V SPST Pushbutton Momentary Switch - RadioShack.com
    This switch is widely available elsewhere too. The important things to look for are: Pushbutton, Normally Open (aka N.O., Off{On}), Momentary action (this means that the button must be held down to be on as opposed to one click on next click off like a flashlight). I have also used this switch with BAD luck 12VDC 50mA SPST 6.2x6.2 mm SMT Tact Switch, 9.5mm High - RadioShack.com. It could not handle the current and failed. I have had another modder tell me his did the same, so I went with a very amply rated switch for the tutorial.

The atomizer connector also came from Radio Shack and is also widely available elsewhere.
    Size N Coaxial DC Power Jack w/Switch - RadioShack.com
    Size M Panel-mount Coaxial Power Jack w/Switch - RadioShack.com
    It does not matter which one, both work the same. For the UK folks, I hear the one at Maplin's needs the center pin built up a little to make contact. There is a separate thread detailing the use of this part. I have also seen other DC parts in these sizes that may work but have not tried them yet.

15. Sun Vaporer

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida

Jim --they are the same as used in the SD--what are you using them in? Sun

16. nicowolf

Nov 9, 2008
    near Akron, OH, USA
    I have not seen a protected CR2 anywhere yet. The Cr123A is very close in size (about 1mm larger in diameter and about 7mm longer). If you can find a way to make your battery area about 14mm longer, you can use the CR123A. This is one of the reasons I never went to CR2 with my Magnum mods. I have an idea about a different flashlight to use that might accomodate the larger battery too. Just shoot me a PM. I will work on getting a link for you.

17. Ron43

Ron43 Full Member ECF Veteran

Mar 3, 2009
    U.S.
    Very nice work!
    Can you please post a link to where you bought the protected battery and charger that is in your pic? It looks like it says 14500 on the battery. Also, does anything change in putting together this mod?

Thanks!

18. Sun Vaporer

Jan 2, 2009
    Florida
  19. kinabaloo

kinabaloo Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nico - Nice work, as ever :)

Sun - I suggest adding one of those collapsible warning messages to the top of the modders forum that disappear once the reader has read it once and closes it; as we did for the experimenters forum.

Unprotected batteries is one obvious thing to mention - plus some common examples and alternatives. And there are some other topics we could add too.

To use lead-free solder is another.

Perhaps suggest employing a mechanical first hand to make soldering safer.

To not experiment with mains or usb mods without being cometent to do so.

Slideable on/off override switch.

Patience !

20. nicowolf

Nov 9, 2008
    near Akron, OH, USA

You folks around here are all so supportive. You make these things labors of love, really:wub:. I feel a stronger sense of community here sometimes than I do in my own apartment.

The parts list is complete and posted. My intention is to post the entire pictorial instructions just like in the other how to threads, and then get a mod to lock this thread and delete the other how to thread about the NicoStick. I will include a link at the end to the thread to discuss it. It will be the same thread where we have been discussing it. It may take me a few days and many installments to finish this as I must work and sleep in between, but it will get done and it will be as thorough as I can do.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.