Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
For wattage or temp control use? The principle with either is pretty much the same, and is there to help you deal with getting your coil up to temp quickly so your vape is nice and warm from the beginning. Generally for simple coils that heat up quickly there isn't much need. For builds with large mass, a lot of metal, a high preheat gets that larger mass up to temp and then the "lower" wattage/temp control takes over to keep it heated up.

In temp control (never used in wattage mode but as I said, same principle) I only use a high preheat for something like a dual Clapton something build that needs that punch at the start of the vape. Others might do different.

Reactions: Tadej

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
For wattage or temp control use? The principle with either is pretty much the same, and is there to help you deal with getting your coil up to temp quickly so your vape is nice and warm from the beginning. Generally for simple coils that heat up quickly there isn't much need. For builds with large mass, a lot of metal, a high preheat gets that larger mass up to temp and then the "lower" wattage/temp control takes over to keep it heated up.

In temp control (never used in wattage mode but as I said, same principle) I only use a high preheat for something like a dual Clapton something build that needs that punch at the start of the vape. Others might do different.
thank you for your replay yes i was referring to wattage mod so how much would you use on lats say a single coil 26g 3mm 4wrap Clapton at 40 watts

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
thank you for your replay yes i was referring to wattage mod so how much would you use on lats say a single coil 26g 3mm 4wrap Clapton at 40 watts

Try it and see. Do you prefer a warmer or cooler vape? If you want it warmer, maybe try hitting it with 60W preheat and leave it at 40W after. In truth, after getting to temp, you will not not need as much current to maintain the temp, so you might find 30 or 35W is better after the preheat. I drew this ridiculously poor graph to illustrate. On the left is plain wattage. Hold down the button and the temp will climb in a linear fashion. On the right preheat. Note it jumps up really fast at the beginning (preheat) then continues to rise at the lower wattage setting you choose.
temp graph.JPG

You're just getting the temp higher, faster. Again, with a large amount of metal to heat it's handy. For a plain coil it's really unnecessary.

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
Try it and see. Do you prefer a warmer or cooler vape? If you want it warmer, maybe try hitting it with 60W preheat and leave it at 40W after. In truth, after getting to temp, you will not not need as much current to maintain the temp, so you might find 30 or 35W is better after the preheat. I drew this ridiculously poor graph to illustrate. On the left is plain wattage. Hold down the button and the temp will climb in a linear fashion. On the right preheat. Note it jumps up really fast at the beginning (preheat) then continues to rise at the lower wattage setting you choose. View attachment 627731

You're just getting the temp higher, faster. Again, with a large amount of metal to heat it's handy. For a plain coil it's really unnecessary.
i like the graph lol thanks for the replay i understand now! It does make more since to use it for more thinker builds like claptons and fused claptons to get it warmer faster I like a warm vape but not hot and i mainly build with claptons so i will defenly be playing around with this on my pico and evic mini thanks!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
i'm curious as well, the alien 220 has the option of S/N/H, but i've not bothered with it yet.

The Hard on the Alien represents preheat (not sure how much, but some), Normal is well, normal, and Soft, I have no idea what that's about.

i like the graph lol thanks for the replay i understand now! It does make more since to use it for more thinker builds like claptons and fused claptons to get it warmer faster I like a warm vape but not hot and i mainly build with claptons so i will defenly be playing around with this on my pico and evic mini thanks!

For Claptons, especially dual builds, preheat is great. And as it's at temp quickly you don't even need to keep the power on nearly as high as you usually would as you just want to maintain the temp through the vape (well, that's essentially what TC is, but you can sorta accomplish the same with Kanthal in power mode by playing around with those variables).

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
The Hard on the Alien represents preheat (not sure how much, but some), Normal is well, normal, and Soft, I have no idea what that's about.

For Claptons, especially dual builds, preheat is great. And as it's at temp quickly you don't even need to keep the power on nearly as high as you usually would as you just want to maintain the temp through the vape (well, that's essentially what TC is, but you can sorta accomplish the same with Kanthal in power mode by playing around with those variables).
Thanks how long do i do the duration for?

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
Aug 13, 2016
Georgian Bay, Ontario
yeah i knew about it, but since i haven't put anything fancy in my azeroth etc i haven't tried the settings yet, and there's no point with the q2 coils i have in either of my beasts right now. really wish my dripbox 160 came with the option actually, for when i had the quad coil setup, i hate long ramp ups.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks how long do i do the duration for?

If you have the option to set a time, I'd try something like 1 second. That should be fast enough that by the time you have it up to your mouth you'll already have a warm vape. It's one of those things you'll just need to play with to get dialed in to your preference.

yeah i knew about it, but since i haven't put anything fancy in my azeroth etc i haven't tried the settings yet, and there's no point with the q2 coils i have in either of my beasts right now. really wish my dripbox 160 came with the option actually, for when i had the quad coil setup, i hate long ramp ups.

I think it's a nice feature for those specialty builds, but for everyday simple wire that's not 22G or something it's not a big advantage. The one place it really shines for me is in my L+ with dual Claptons. Then I need to get the temp up with that big chamber so I'll use 125W for 1 second, then fall back to a 60W 440F setting, and it's just a perfect vape. Nice, warm vape, great flavor, and it doesn't get too hot at the end of the draw. That's really why I like TC, I don't like that last hot second if holding the fire button too long. This way, whether it's a 2 second puff or a 4 second puff, it's smooth all the way through. That's off the topic of preheat though.

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
The basic idea is to get the coil up to temperature as soon as possible. It's partically useful for thick wires clapton coils, 24 gauge wires etc. For example I am using dual ss-316 26 gauge, seven wraps each, in my TFV8 rba deck, I have my pre-heat set at 200 watts for one second (I've never seen it come close to that) after the coils hit temperature my watts go down to around 50-70. If I used no pre-heat and just set my device to 50 watts it would take about a second for it to reach temperature if ever. In power mode it's the same idea but you have to adjust the power and time your' self, rather than letting the board do it.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
i've got 3 of the baby rbas now for the beasts, once my current coils are toast, going to toss in some alien SS wire and try out the H option and TC. i've used it in TC when i had the azeroth on and it worked well in TC with the SS then.

It's funny how some tanks will behave with TC. When I first got the L+, I figured big deck, lots of power, and all would be good. I didn't associate TC with high wattage use. Used it for a while in power mode and found lots of cloud, flavor was eh, and it always got too hot. Figured it was the nature of the beast and didn't use it much after.

Got some SS Claptons and decided lets experiment in TC for yuks. Suddenly with preheat and a temp regulated 460F it was great! Smooth, warm, and flavorful from start to finish, and no worries of getting scorched by hot vape at the end of the draw. Now it's gone back to a tank that sees more use.

Reactions: Cheallaigh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread