Status
Not open for further replies.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Summer's around the corner, which undoubtedly means hanging out by the beach for many vapers. What I'm wondering is, how sensitive to water are li-ion batteries? I'm talking about 18650s and that crowd, IMRs of course. I know that my mech can handle being dropped in the water, but what about the battery? Will it simply suffice to dry off the battery and pop it back into the mod, should it be left alone to dry over night, or should it be discarded?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
Everything I have read said to treat them like a cell phone battery and place in a bag of rice to absorb all moisture. I am sure someone will come along and be able to help you more than me and I will learn something too so thank you for posting this question. Just another reason why I love ecf so much.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
batteries are pretty well sealed as far as their inner components, and should be water tight.

However, on some batteries the protected circuit on the button top variety has air vent holes which might be harmed if exposed to water or other liquids. I'd attempt to dry them off and allow to evaporate before I'd use them.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Batteries are pretty well sealed as far as their inner components, and should be water tight.

However, on some batteries the protected circuit on the button top variety has air vent holes which might be harmed if exposed to water or other liquids. I'd attempt to dry them off and allow to evaporate before I'd use them.

this.

though, i'd add the caveat that if exposed to salt water, they should be rinsed well with fresh water with as low a mineral content as possible before drying. tap water will likely do in a pinch, but reverse osmosis / deionized or distilled water would be ideal. the harder the tap water (more minerals) the better it would be to search out an alternative.

think about it like clothes with a possible stain on them. the batterys are the clothes. the minerals are grape juice. if you throw the clothes in the dryer before removing the stain, it will likely be set in forever. only in this case, the stain is conductive, oxidating, ionic particles of minerals. running current through them hyper charges them and speeds the degradation of the cell outer walls and contacts by speeding the oxidation process.

plus, if the cell ever gets wet again in a device, the ions can travel. if they're in a regulated device at that time, it could be the difference between just a drop of water to be dried out and instant, certain death of the pcb.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread