How well does a JUUL help in quitting smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
There are a few issues with the juul. The main one being there is no option to reduce nicotine so while you would switch from cigarettes to the juul fairly easily switching from the juul to nothing would be very difficult. Assuming you want a pod mod I would suggest instead one of the devices with the ability to choose nicotine level such as the peas which also has the advantage of being much cheaper to operate.

dsites

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2017
Nederland, Colorado
Many people like JULE. I started with VUSE which is a similar product. As far as I'm concerned, anything that gets you off cigarettes is a good thing.

One of the many nice things about vaping is that you can get as fancy as you like. Many people start with devices like JULE and move up the ladder as they gain experience.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The Juul has helped people transition from vaping. It's a fairly weak delivery system, made up for by the fact that the pods are 50 mg/ml of nicsalts, meaning that even with that vaping delivery system, you'll be getting a very high level of nicotine per puff. It's kind of easy to use, as a pod mod.

I don't rule it out of hand as a first device, although I do think there are better options out there (oh my especially when it comes to pricing), and the pods are proprietary and it can be near impossible (although folks have done it) to reuise and refill pods. If that's not your goal however and you want an easy, low maintenance (until your first Juul breaks) option. The price is probably among the highest out there, per puff.

If you are interested in the nic salt option, you can buy juices to put in another pod (or other type of vape) and probably achieve a similar effect, although there are many folks who started with the Juul for convenience and then transitioned later.

It's hard to say what your "perfect" vape gear is as of yet (usually a certain amount of experimentation is required) but as far as quitting smoking, if I could only choose from the gas station, it would probably be my #1 choice. If you want to look at things that may be a bit more complex, and require a bit more learning, well you could still use the Juul as you did so, and eventually get a "backup" vape that you may actually enjoy more and find yourself keeping the Juul as a backup, etc.

But, people can and do quit using the Juul and while I personally didn't like the idea of the Juul, I certainly never really say it's an awful idea, either. The Juul isn't a terrible device, and many of its shortcomings.... It could still be a good starter device for you.

A huge part will be the motivation to quit smoking. If you are really there, and the Juul doesn't help you, well, you'd then need to move on to other types of setups which work differently and which might (not necessarily will) work better for you. Etc.

Best of luck,

Anna

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi, I've been smoking about 20-25 cigarettes for about 3 and a half years and I'm really looking to quit or slow down dramatically. How well do JUULs aid in quitting smoking?
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might like to look at another alternative:
Hi!

Dandelion Puffball

Apr 3, 2018
Pennsylvania
There's no doubt vaping helps hugely in reducing or quitting smoking. I just bought my Suorin Drop with the intention of using it occasionally but ended up liking vaping so much I went from 40+ cigarettes a day to 8-10 without even trying. I increasingly find myself craving the taste of my choice e-liquids instead of cigarettes.

The problem with the Juul is that you're limited to the flavor and nicotine choices of the pre-filled Juul cartridges. That obviously works for some people, but part of the fun of vaping for me (and a lot of others) is being able to change around and try new flavors. Plus what if you don't like the Juul flavors, or get tired of them? There are so many pod systems out there that are made to be filled with the liquid of your choice, I don't really see the logic in choosing one that limits that. You can read about lots of them down in the "Vape Pod Systems" subforum here. And that's not even considering the cost factor. You'll likely be vaping heavily at first if you're trying to quit smoking, and that could easily burn through several Juul pods a day, which would add up really quickly.

HeidiB

Mar 14, 2018
The Juul is what made me realize that I can vape nic salts. I never heard of them before but was shocked when a friend told me to try and it didn't choke me out like vaping did before. For that I am grateful. I ended up getting my own but quickly moved on and I'll explain why. 1. The cost. The pods can be rigged to be refilled but only last 1-2 refills going that way and they are not built for that. I cannot afford to buy the pods going through at least 2 a day. When I run out I have nothing to vape. 2. Battery life. It last hours and when the battery is dead I have nothing to vape. 3. The Juul has been unreliable for everybody I know. They just quit working. If it quits working I have nothing to vape. 4. I hate the mouth draw. Half the time I ended up sucking on air unable to draw out of the Juul. Well more of the same. When I'm not vaping I'd be smoking. 30+ years smoking I'm getting my nicotine somehow, so I'd go to the store for a pack of cigarettes.

I looked at my options and decided to go with the box mod and tank option. I do MTL like a cigarette, but can pick my own juice (make my own to save $), choose my mod that lasts more than a day, my tank that lasts a day, and start building my own coils for more $ saved, and I'm not running out because I have a reliable system. No cigarettes! For the first time ever I do not feel deprived. I am grateful for the Juul that it introduced me to nic salts and without it I would still be smoking.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I’m sure if you’re committed to quitting the juul show work quite well. I’ve never used one but I know it’s better than the vaping gear I was using when I quit. Some vv adjustment capable cig a likes and mechs. The vape equipment back in 2012 when I started vaping, and quit smoking, was nowhere as good as today’s gear. The best devices from when I started wasn’t anywhere near as good as the worst devices today. Having said that I and Anton of other people quit using gear far inferior to the juul. All you need is the commitment to stick with it. Good luck and future happiness, you can do this.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Any vape device will help you quit smoking but it's all up to you. If you choose to smoke while vaping it won't work very well or it will take longer. If you take up vaping and throw the cigs away and not buy/smoke any more than it will work.
People are different. I had no intention to quit my 36 year smoking habit when I got my first (eGo style) starter kit in 2013. In fact, I have never "quit" as in forbidding myself from ever having another cigarette because I knew a part of me would rebel against that. I just don't smoke anymore, and I have a couple of packs left from the last carton I'd bought a few days before that starter kit arrived.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Hi, I've been smoking about 20-25 cigarettes for about 3 and a half years and I'm really looking to quit or slow down dramatically. How well do JUULs aid in quitting smoking?
Juul is relatively expensive (especially recurring cost of the the pods) and inflexible (limited flavor choices and no choice at all with respect to the nic level). However, they do have a very appealing form-factor, making them easy to carry and easy to charge, and they of course they are really easy to use.

I tried 'em out of curiosity when they were new on the market in 2015. I had already been a non-smoking vaper for a year and a half by then. I ended up deciding they weren't really my cup of tea, but I gotta say, they are effective at scratching the nicotine itch.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)

BrianBonish

Welcome and congrats!! Waaay Kewl.
Over five years away from tobacco I can tell you its all about the satisfaction. what ever you choose to vape with, these criteria are crucial:
  1. Nicotine- youve got to get enough to stop your tobacco cravings. you can ask a shop, here, do your own research. Youll be able to research/estimate how much nic. is in your tobacco presently. Many new to vaping start higher nic.then reduce mg.nic.after tobaccos gone from your life. Get enough to stop cravings.
  2. Flavor- as many brands of cigarrettes, theres more choices/flavors liqiud. Some go from smoking to vaping with direct substitutes. Menthol to menthol staight tobacco to straight tobacco followed by flavor experimentation.Almost all tobacco brands have flavor equivalents in vaping. (With choices you can lelarn as you go)
  3. Availibility-Like cigarrette smokers that buy cartons, you dont want to run out of vape and go back to tobacco. Whether its back up batteries, pass thru batteries, back up devices,...BE Prepared. (CYA for first few weeks:car, work, home, etc).
Vapings evolved so quickly in ten years, theres more choice than you need by far. You dont need to concern yourself with subohm or cloud chasing, unless its your passion. To stop tobacco you only need to substitute the nicotine satisfactorily.

check out the ECF library?? Theres great info., if its of interest. Remember theres as many opinions here as there are tastes in cigarettes. ask. Dont be shy. We all were there! Theres heaps to noodle arund through at ECF.

Cheers.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
People are different. I had no intention to quit my 36 year smoking habit when I got my first (eGo style) starter kit in 2013. In fact, I have never "quit" as in forbidding myself from ever having another cigarette because I knew a part of me would rebel against that. I just don't smoke anymore, and I have a couple of packs left from the last carton I'd bought a few days before that starter kit arrived.

Many of us ended our tobacco use with eGo products. In my case, they were brand new, so not too mamy choices back then. The vape ladder (from original devices to what a vaper uses currently) seems far more preferencial than necessity. Any # stats on how many quit smoking then quit vaping?
Cheers.

ericbnc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2012
Piedmont Triad, NC
Should work fine helping you get off smoking. Unless you work a desk job buy two, that way you have a charged up back up battery.

If you want to get into vaping long term they will become back up's, or you can pass them on to someone else trying to quit if they work for you.

• Agree

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Unless you work a desk job buy two

f6cUsOG.jpg

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

My experience was similar. I knew myself well enough to be sure that swearing off cigarettes was not the way to go, so I told myself it would be nice if I could cut down a bit and save some money. My smoking gradually dropped off as I got used to the vape. After three or four weeks I was approaching the end of the carton I'd bought before my mod arrived and I thought "why don't I see what happens if I don't buy more smokes right away? There's a 24-hour shop one block away, so I can get my next pack whenever I want." That was five years ago, and somehow I still haven't gotten around to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread