How would you shorten a tank glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
I have a spare glass that I want to use on a tank but its a few hundredths of an inch too long.
Is it feasible to try and shorten it to fit?
How would you go about it? Would wet & dry paper work?
Has anyone done this?

I should explain, I was sanding down a syringe tube to put on a tank when I wondered if I could do the same thing with glass.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: listopencil

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Right type of glass? I've no idea what it is made of (pyrex?)
Or right sandpaper? What would you recommend ?

I was referring to the sandpaper, needs to be a harder material than the glass type (carbide?) and a high enough grit count so it doesn't chip the glass (why it will take a looong time).

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I have use a diamond cut off wheel on a dremel and has good luck with cutting glass. I also have the Modfather rda and it came with a glass barrel/chuff cap and it had AF channels cut in it but it was too restricted so I used the diamond cut off wheel to make the AF larger. AF is awesome now and no cracked or shattered glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have a spare glass that I want to use on a tank but its a few hundredths of an inch too long.
Is it feasible to try and shorten it to fit?
How would you go about it? Would wet & dry paper work?
Has anyone done this?

I have cut down a piece of Glass to use on a Shorter Tank. So Yes, it is Feasible. Is a Humongous PITA to do that makes Big Mess that is can be Very Hard to Fully Clean Up Afterwards? Yes... Yes it Is !

I would just suggest doing a Fasttech Search for whatever Size glass you are looking for. Replacement Glass is Cheap.

But if you are Dead Set on cutting down the Glass you have, you are going to want to put something Inside the Tube to support the Walls (Like a trimmed piece of Styrofoam or Expanding Spray Foam) while you Cut/Grind it with a Diamond Wheel.

And Do It Outside. Using Full-On Eye and Skin Protection.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
You could try using a diamond grit knife sharpening stone. It would be relatively easy to keep it flat that way. I think it would be hard to get a square cut end with a power tool.

If it worked I'm guessing you would end up with very sharp edges on the glass. That would be hard on orings, and fingers for that matter. I can't think of any way of easing the edges. Maybe the outside edge, but for the inside edge you would need some kind of round shaped grinding tool. I'm sure you can buy round diamond grit sharpeners but you might end up spending a bunch of money to save the cost of a new tube.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I do not think a few hundreds is a problem. The main thing it to keep you glass tube vertical. I remember polishing off millimeters of glass with sandpaper, but sandpaper was attached to a polishing wheel. I do not really remember, but I think it was 100-150 grit.

bwiggins

Oct 27, 2017
I did the same thing to make a spare glass fit a different tank. I used a stone cutting wheel on a dremel, and checked every 10 seconds with digital calipers. I was in a proper rush though, so if you have time I suggest doing a quick search on ebay, amazon etc because a lot of tanks share glass sizes/diameters/thicknesses etc. Sounds like a PITA but trust me the end result looks better

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
Good luck. This sounds exactly like the kind of stuff that drives me absolutely insane. Using fine motor skills where precision is a must over a very long period of time. I'd probably have to take breaks to go punch a squirrel or something just from the unnerving frustration.

mattrix

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2013
AU
Cool, it is feasible.

I did not think sanding would work but I'm happy to be proven wrong :)
Thats what makes this forum such a great place, there is always someone who has tried what your thinking and willing to share their experience.

a lot of tanks share glass sizes/diameters/thicknesses etc. Sounds like a PITA but trust me the end result looks better

I don't have much luck getting glass that fits. Hence the reason that I have glass that doesn't fit any of my tanks.

The PITA is actually getting the dimensions in the first place, many shop measures are inaccurate and none that I've seen give the InnerDiameter. Most of my tanks seal on the inner surface, and need to be within about 5 (or maybe 10) thousandths or they won't fit.

Edit: On closer inspection, some of those tanks have both side and end seals, and some are more forgiving about glass size than others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread