The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

HR 4742 nic tax passes house

Discussion in 'Legislation News' started by nomore stinkies, Oct 27, 2019.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. nomore stinkies

nomore stinkies Gee, Who did that? ECF Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    IL
    Go to Vape 360 for a download of the bill.
    Sorry if this is a duplicate.
    20$ Nic tax on 60 ml. Passes house . Let's get on Senate.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I was Unaware that HR 4742 had Passed the House.

The last I heard, it was still in Committee.

Actions - H.R.4742 - 116th Congress (2019-2020): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to impose a tax on nicotine used in vaping, etc.

It also appears that the Tax Basis has been Changed from the as introduced rate of $50.33 per Gram of Nicotine to $50.33 per 1,810 Milligrams.

https://docs.house.gov/meetings/WM/WM00/20191023/110145/BILLS-116HR4742ih.pdf

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Ceejay0875

Ceejay0875 Super Member ECF Veteran

May 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. GOMuniEsq

GOMuniEsq Self-Proclaimed Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    I may be north of the border, but this article encouraged me to buy another liter of nic base and a freezer to store it in. I've now got a ten year supply.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. nomore stinkies

nomore stinkies Gee, Who did that? ECF Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    IL
    My error. So sorry. I guess my outrage out paced my brain. But I am sure it will pass considering the current events.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ceejay0875

Ceejay0875 Super Member ECF Veteran

May 24, 2016
    Oh yeah, certainly just a matter of time. No apology necessary. It's all just one big ball of mess.

• Like Like x 2
  7. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    IMHO the greedy, OTT tax and the likelihood of it passing MAY be connected to the announcement about "vape shops" being exempt from flavor bans. They are the big buyers of nicotine wholesale after all.

So, there will be a supplier's tax obviously passed on to the consumer, who will probably also get taxed.

Don't get me wrong I would rather have a tax than a BAN in case my nic ever goes wonky but if they make a HARM REDUCTION product MORE expensive than tobacco I am NOT super pleased by a LONG shot,

Anna

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ShowerHead

ShowerHead Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Don't forget, It's for 'The Children'
    Makes it all better don't you know?

I had to buy a chest freezer this weekend to store my growing nicotine supply. I already do unflavored juice, kinda like it.

Funny, here in my glorious state, vaping has a worse social status than shooting .......
    Smoking pot? Welcome friend!
    Vaping? Ugh, baby killer!

Odd how all the ultra liberal states and the religious state of Utah are the ones hot to ban things.

• Love Love x 1
  9. Infernal2

Infernal2 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    The Oil Coast, AL
    File that one under "groups that are more concerned with you than themselves."

10. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    The House is Democrat controlled. What more needs to be said? The tax would make a $50 liter of nic cost $2780. The Senate is Republican. That might hel. It's the President who'll get the blame for anything that severely interferes with access to product regardless of how it happens. That might explain why Democrats want to be so hard on ecigs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. dripster

dripster Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    Hell is the right choice of word, no doubt. :)