Huge variation in vape quality between wattage/TC modes with identical settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Apalachicola, FL, United States
Ok Friends, long time mech vaper/n00b TC user here. Using a DNA250C board. SS316L coils. I have not yet connected with Escribe, so all of the settings I’ve done through the mod (Boxer 2X700 x3).

What I notice is that in TC mode I entered in my approximate wattage preference (~100W) and swag’d the other settings based on some research. Set the TC at 450F. The vape was very cool and sparse, poor flavor, and not at all satisfying.

I then switched to wattage mode, put in the same wattage setting and got the type of vape I expected: warm, dense and flavorful. Very satisfying. Used these same values in Replay mode, also very nice. I’ve tried several different RTA’s (all at ~0.15-0.20 ohm) and get the same result with all of them.

I obtained the mod with the intention of using it in TC mode and would like to dial in the settings to obtain the vape I enjoy while gleaning the benefits of TC. I’m certainly missing some critical setting, but am lost in unfamiliar territory.

Any guidance from you old Pros?

Last edited:

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
image.jpg

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Best to set up with eScribe for building profiles. The wattage and temp selections are fine, but you likely need to change the preheat around. I'd also suggesting downloading the TFR curve for 316L from Steam Engine and using that in place of the factory 316L set.

Then when you're in eScribe open Device Monitor and adjust everything in real time so when you fire it goes to the temp point quickly and stays there. What kind of coils are you using?

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
What kind of coils are you using?

Fused Clapton’s, 4.0mm ID, two 26g SS316L cores wrapped with 40g SS316L. 5/6 turns.

I definitely need to connect with Escribe, though mildly intimidated by that learning curve. Time to jump into the deep end I suppose...

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
I obtained the mod with the intention of using it in TC mode and would like to dial in the settings to obtain the vape I enjoy while gleaning the benefits of TC. I’m certainly missing some critical setting, but am lost in unfamiliar territory.

With replay mode all you need to do is find the wattage which gives you the best vape. As long as you are using a temp sensitive coil the Replay once sets will adjust itself to the correct wattage and temp to give you the same good tasting vape. If you go to escripe and use device monitor and take some puffs you will see the watts rise some and fall some to maintain the best vape. I have replay set for three different profiles and named them the atty I'm using. I dial in each of them and if I change the atty I change the profile. Replay takes all the guessing out of finding the right vape. Now if your coil is wonky and resistance jumps around a lot Replay might not work well. Replay uses both cold and hot coil resistance to give you the correct amount of watts.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Replay is great but it's not true temp control on that the temp is not what drives the algorithm. You can create a temp dominant Replay profile but it's a little easier to simply set up a plain profile first.

The trick to eScribe is to ignore stuff you don't need or do. At first you'll click around to check it out, but when you're sorta comfy there are really only two options you need to watch in device monitor, the temperature and the wattage. All the voltage, amps, all sorts of other options make for cool looking graphs with dozens of lines, but you don't need them. You'll see the temp you want, the wattage you select, and the temp of the coil. When you make the temp hit your preference fast (450 for example) and then stay there as the wattage is adjusted to keep it there you have your profile. My typical preheat is mo more than 1 second, and you'll be surprised to watch how little continuous wattage needs to be applied to keep it there.

Realize the profile is for that coil build in that rta. If you change to say a single simple round Clapton it'll need all different settings.

Once you have a feel for the interrelationshops between the power and temperature you can pull a theme off the Evolv site that gives you control of the preheat, wattage, temperature and all with a real time simplified device monitor. Then you can do it on the fly including throwing a new profile together on the fly ( probably the biggest reason I like the C series, you can do all this stuff without hooking up to eScribe once you're comfortable with how it all fits together).

It seems a lot at first but after a little time clicking around it should become comfy. If you run into problems or questions the Evolv forum us great for support, and asking in the temp control area on this forum will get you help pretty fast. One thing that does help if stuff keeps going sideways is to grab screenshots of eScribe as you're using it so folks can see exactly what's going on and offer specific advice. Another advantage to using eScribe on your PC (it Mac whichever).

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Replay is great but it's not true temp control on that the temp is not what drives the algorithm. You can create a temp dominant Replay profile but it's a little easier to simply set up a plain profile first.

The trick to eScribe is to ignore stuff you don't need or do. At first you'll click around to check it out, but when you're sorta comfy there are really only two options you need to watch in device monitor, the temperature and the wattage. All the voltage, amps, all sorts of other options make for cool looking graphs with dozens of lines, but you don't need them. You'll see the temp you want, the wattage you select, and the temp of the coil. When you make the temp hit your preference fast (450 for example) and then stay there as the wattage is adjusted to keep it there you have your profile. My typical preheat is mo more than 1 second, and you'll be surprised to watch how little continuous wattage needs to be applied to keep it there.

Realize the profile is for that coil build in that rta. If you change to say a single simple round Clapton it'll need all different settings.

Once you have a feel for the interrelationshops between the power and temperature you can pull a theme off the Evolv site that gives you control of the preheat, wattage, temperature and all with a real time simplified device monitor. Then you can do it on the fly including throwing a new profile together on the fly ( probably the biggest reason I like the C series, you can do all this stuff without hooking up to eScribe once you're comfortable with how it all fits together).

It seems a lot at first but after a little time clicking around it should become comfy. If you run into problems or questions the Evolv forum us great for support, and asking in the temp control area on this forum will get you help pretty fast. One thing that does help if stuff keeps going sideways is to grab screenshots of eScribe as you're using it so folks can see exactly what's going on and offer specific advice. Another advantage to using eScribe on your PC (it Mac whichever).

Thank you for this. You’ve anticipated some of my questions and provided answers.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Just one last bit of advice. When you have your mod hooked up through the USB and do real time actual draws on the tank while watching the screen, use two hands to hold that setup. That tank has enough juice in it you would need a wet dry vac to clean up after that. :D

Nice looking setup! The great part is you can play with it in all different configurations but also just get a great vape with Replay. It's all a matter of how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Just one last bit of advice. When you have your mod hooked up through the USB and do real time actual draws on the tank while watching the screen, use two hands to hold that setup. That tank has enough juice in it you would need a wet dry vac to clean up after that. :D

Nice looking setup! The great part is you can play with it in all different configurations but also just get a great vape with Replay. It's all a matter of how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

I used to run that tank on a Hammer of God. This is the first mod I’ve had in a while that the thing even remotely fits on.

I think the key to the whole thing is to simply experiment. As I become more familiar with the DNA and eScribe the vape quality will improve.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I used to run that tank on a Hammer of God. This is the first mod I’ve had in a while that the thing even remotely fits on.

I think the key to the whole thing is to simply experiment. As I become more familiar with the DNA and eScribe the vape quality will improve.

Yeah, that's one of the few other mods that will hold that properly (and the Titan, another toe breaker if it slips).

Yes, with a little reading time and head scratching it pops together. And I find does for me it is a great experience. It also depends on your earlier use and preference. It doesn't vape like a mech. It won't be getting super hot at the end of a long draw. I like 3-5 second draws, and if I started out with a warmer vape by halfway through its hot and by the end too hot (for me). I never enjoyed the short deep quick 1-2 second draw. What's great when it's set to your preference us the consistency from one draw to the next. And you'll never dry hit. It'll just stop producing vapor if the wick dries out.

But there are times and places for everything. I still like my mech squonks so it's not like there is ever one single solution for all situations. But I build a lot different there than I do on my RTAs for temp control.

• Winner
Reactions: entropy1049
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread