Hussar Project X RTA Clone (by Coppervape)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Ange if you wrap your coil legs around the inner sides of the screws, versus outer like yours, you will end up with a tighter spaced coil. Works great and is perfect for TC. Even with your 5 wrap coil. Your coil is what, 0.5Ω???

My coil is a 7 wrap spaced ss316L 32*3/40 twisted fused clapton with a 2.5ID coming in at 0.7Ω. Basically my wire is the same overall thickness as your clapton wire.
    View attachment 834689
    @ChelsB , do you see how my coil is centered? It is centered with the cutouts and the 3 air holes on each side. I use my CM coiling rod and insert the coil in the deck cutouts as @Janusz mentioned in his post. It will line your coil up perfectly to center and the proper height for the X. After I tighten the screws, and while the rod is still in the coil, I will push the coil downwards so that when I am looking at the deck from the side the inside of my coil lines up perfectly with the cutouts on each side. All you need to do then, while your coil is still on the rod, is position/center your coil so that the 3 air holes on each side are lined up with the middle of your coil. After you remove the coil rod look to see that your coil is centered to the cutouts and the air holes. Then wick your coil and don't move, or re-position, the coil while doing so. Check again after you wick your coil to make sure it is centered. Hope that helps.

Next time I pop a coil in one of my X's I will shoot some photo's and post them. :D

You know I'm gonna rebuild at least one of my X's tomorrow now :lol: Thank you for pointing that out. I only did outers not innies due to the yt vid I watched :facepalm:. Innies suit me much better and I promise to show off the results ;)

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    @AngeNZ , per your request...

Building on the Project X.

@ChelsB and @johnpalley this is for you too. Honestly for anyone looking for a "how to" on the X.

I will start with the coil and add from there. I want to make a coil that will be used in TC mode (it can also be used in wattage mode). So I selected 26/36 ss316L clapton wire. My target is 0.45-0.5Ω. That will be 6 wraps on the 2.5mm coiling rod.

Coil wrapped and an explanation on how to get spaced coils.
    IMG_1166 copy1.jpg

Removed 2 wraps and tightened.
    IMG_1167 copy1.jpg

Installing the coil on the X deck.
    IMG_1168 copy1.jpg

Coiling on the deck and proper aligning.
    IMG_1169 copy1.jpg

Coil centered.
    IMG_1171 copy1.jpg

Coil alignment and height.
    IMG_1173 copy1.jpg

Just another angle.
    IMG_1176 copy1.jpg

Trimmed and pulsed. Coil p0rn!!!
    IMG_1179 copy1.jpg

That's it for the coil. Next we will do the wicking.

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Building the Project X - wicking.

Inserting the wick into the coil.
    IMG_1182 copy1.jpg

Evening the wick side to side inside the coil.
    IMG_1183 copy1.jpg

Trim and tuck.
    IMG_1184 copy1.jpg

That's it for wicking. Next I will go over putting your X together so it works correctly.

ETA: I also posted on wicking with photo's some pages back.

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Building the Project X - putting it together so it works correctly.

juice Flow Control (JFC) and how to get it working smoothly.
    IMG_1185 copy1.jpg

Lubing o-rings.
    IMG_1186 copy1.jpg

Saturate the wick.
    IMG_1187 copy1.jpg

Lubing the deck o-ring makes it easy to rotate and remove the tank section.
    IMG_1188 copy1.jpg

Fill the tank. Make sure the JFC is closed before doing so.
    IMG_1189 copy1.jpg

Done!!!
    IMG_1190 copy1.jpg

The deck after vaping one tank.
    IMG_1191 copy1.jpg

Sittin' pretty on a Colossal and running TC (temperature control) in TCR mode.
    IMG_1192 copy1.jpg
    Note regarding the TCR setting on the Colossal (photo above). Daniel from DJLsb Vapes did TC/TCR testing with the Colossal and determined setting the TCR value to 0.00140 worked in line with the normal suggested TCR settings on other mods. That is in line with what asMODus suggests. I tried the normally recommended ss316L TCR's and Daniel's setting and I do agree with him. As always YMMV.

ETA: My coil ended up at 0.43Ω. It's a 6 wrap 2.5mm ID 26/36 ss316L clapton and running at 18w in TC/TCR.

Last edited:

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    What resistance coil are you using... and at what wattage you vape? If you wicked it OK the only reasons you got muted flavor is either bad coil positioning, too low wattage, bad juice... or "vapors tongue" ...Project X is providing me the best flavor from dozen of other RTAs I own.

It’s probably a combo of bad coil placement and bad wicking job

ETA: I’m going to build another coil and follow @ShowMeTwice pictures exactly. I may also watch another wicking tutorial, it’s been over 2 years since I’ve watched a wicking video!
    ETA 2: this time I used the coil master, so my coil isn’t so messy!
    1c2e5f7477fa483d577736e4208ee10e.jpg

http://www.sincemylastcigarette.com/banners/1472238000_20_1_USD_8_default.png[/img

Last edited:

ChelsB

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 12, 2016
    California
    I’m hoping one of you fine folks can help with another issue I’m having. Maybe my tank is just super tight but I can’t get it off the mod without the bottom coming off and I have to screw it in SUPER tight to get to the 3 air holes . I also have a very difficult time adjusting the juice flow. I hope this makes sense!
    @ShowMeTwice thanks for those helpful pics and taking the time to explain them!

http://www.sincemylastcigarette.com/banners/1472238000_20_1_USD_8_default.png[/img

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    I’m hoping one of you fine folks can help with another issue I’m having. Maybe my tank is just super tight but I can’t get it off the mod without the bottom coming off and I have to screw it in SUPER tight to get to the 3 air holes . I also have a very difficult time adjusting the juice flow. I hope this makes sense!
    @ShowMeTwice thanks for those helpful pics and taking the time to explain them!
    If you lube the o-rings as I show in the photo's it will come off as it should. Same with rotating the tank to adjust to your desired airflow. Same with the JFC (juice flow control).

All covered in my tutorials above and explained in detail in the photo's.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2018
    Illinois, USA
    If you lube the o-rings as I show in the photo's it will come off as it should. Same with rotating the tank to adjust to your desired airflow. Same with the JFC (juice flow control).

In my case even with lubing it was struggle but after changing o-rings to spare ones that came with tank my problem is gone... on cap I changed only one because when I changed both it was little too loose to my liking. Spare rings that came with my tank are thinner...adjusting airflow or taking off cap for filling is now very easy.

Janusz

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2018
    Illinois, USA
    It’s probably a combo of bad coil placement and bad wicking job

ETA: I’m going to build another coil and follow @ShowMeTwice pictures exactly. I may also watch another wicking tutorial, it’s been over 2 years since I’ve watched a wicking video!
    ETA 2: this time I used the coil master, so my coil isn’t so messy!
    1c2e5f7477fa483d577736e4208ee10e.jpg

Looks nice but coil is still a little tine bit off center... if you push it a little tine bit to the right it would be perfect :)

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

Juice Flow Control (JFC) and how to get it working smoothly.
    View attachment 834869

Lubing o-rings.
    View attachment 834871

Saturate the wick.
    View attachment 834873

View attachment 834875

View attachment 834877

Done!!!
    View attachment 834879

View attachment 834881

View attachment 834883
    Note regarding the TCR setting on the Colossal (photo above). Daniel from DJLsb Vapes did TC/TCR testing with the Colossal and determined setting the TCR value to 0.00140 worked in line with the normal suggested TCR settings on other mods. That is in line with what asMODus suggests. I tried the normally recommended ss316L TCR's and Daniel's setting and I do agree with him. As always YMMV.

ETA: My coil ended up at 0.43Ω. It's a 6 wrap 2.5mm ID 26/36 ss316L clapton and running at 18w in TC/TCR.

You rock :D

My morning's effort. Only aim was to have inside legs - I did center it better after seeing it close-up in pics. Which really means I will start wearing glasses for coilology ;)

claptonX.jpg

It's a ss316L 28/40 2.5mm id coil @ 0.7ohms and vapes amazing :wub:

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 2, 2018
    Maine, USA

Juice Flow Control (JFC) and how to get it working smoothly.
    View attachment 834869

Lubing o-rings.
    View attachment 834871

Saturate the wick.
    View attachment 834873

View attachment 834875

View attachment 834877

Done!!!
    View attachment 834879

View attachment 834881

View attachment 834883

This tutorial is so beautifully thorough, I may have to build the Project X next just so I can savor it.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    This tutorial is so beautifully thorough, I may have to build the Project X next just so I can savor it.

Get cracking young lady! And yes, I agree completely. SMT needs to start a blog and adding these amazing guides :thumb:

johnpalley

ECF Veteran
    Mar 24, 2010
    boston
    @AngeNZ , per your request...

Building on the Project X.

@ChelsB and @johnpalley this is for you too. Honestly for anyone looking for a "how to" on the X.

I will start with the coil and add from there. I want to make a coil that will be used in TC mode (it can also be used in wattage mode). So I selected 26/36 ss316L clapton wire. My target is 0.45-0.5Ω. That will be 6 wraps on the 2.5mm coiling rod.

Coil wrapped and an explanation on how to get spaced coils.
    View attachment 834847

Removed 2 wraps and tightened.
    View attachment 834849

Installing the coil on the X deck.
    View attachment 834851

Coiling on the deck and proper aligning.
    View attachment 834853

Coil centered.
    View attachment 834855

Coil alignment and height.
    View attachment 834857

Just another angle.
    View attachment 834859

Trimmed and pulsed. Coil p0rn!!!
    View attachment 834861

That's it for the coil. Next we will do the wicking.
    Thanks for taking the time to explain everything I really appreciate it.

I have my x working very good right now. In the past few days ive been running tests on wicking. What I now realize is the tighter the wick is in the coil the more crackle/pops you will get. I also now know how to tell if the wick is too tight. When the pops are very loud and are in no specific pattern the wick is being choked. The crackles will be all over the place like very big pops to smaller pops in the same inhale. Im also noticing that when this happens theres a slight delay with the draw. I think thats cause the air and vapor are struggling to escape. Whenever I wick it like this the cotton never lasts that long. In a very short period of time like two to three days max you start tasting burnt cotton.

When its wicked at the correct tightness I'll get a steady pattern of pops on the inhale. Vapor comes out immediately and the pops should be steady and pretty much at the same volume level. The pops won't be as loud as when its being choked but it should be loud enough to know your getting a good vape.

When its too loose theres barely any crackle and less vapor. I have my x wicked too loose right now and I dont get any crackle until after like 1-1.5 seconds after the inhale and its at a lower volume. Also the pops will be further apart from each other and less of a steady rhythm. Theres also less throat hit and less vapor. If I turn up the wattage though it'l crack more with more vapor. Theres probably alot of people out there that won't mind if it vapes like this but I dont like it. Its much better when its a little tighter.

This is what me and Chelsb were trying to figure out so I wanted to post my experience. I feel way more confident about wicking now.

Oh and these tests we're done with cotton at 23 watts. Ive never used rayon before.

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    You rock :D

My morning's effort. Only aim was to have inside legs - I did center it better after seeing it close-up in pics. Which really means I will start wearing glasses for coilology ;)

View attachment 834981

It's a ss316L 28/40 2.5mm id coil @ 0.7ohms and vapes amazing :wub:
    I take my glasses off for building. That build looks awesome!!! :D
    Thanks ... I'm rockin' :headbang: although if I tried that my neck would hurt.
    FWIW it's a Rolling Stones kind of day here. Cranking the "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll" album.

• Love
    Reactions: AngeNZ

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Go for it. I'm confident you will nail it. :) And thanks.
    While posting that yesterday I noticed some minor things I need to clean up in a couple photo's. Also thought of a few more items to add. I hope I can go back and swap photo's.

• Agree

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Get cracking young lady! And yes, I agree completely. SMT needs to start a blog and adding these amazing guides :thumb:
    A blog??? I guess that would be a good place to have it. Easier than hunting through pages searching for something.

That is a bloody brilliant idea Ange!!! :D

In each of the authentic Kayfun threads Bronze has everything needed listed in the first post for each Kayfun model which is super handy. Too bad we can't go back and insert a new first post with all the videos and helpful info. Hmmm...

Ange how come you don't have a Kayfun?

Last edited:
    • Winner

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    You're welcome. :) Excellent!!! Good to know and I'm very happy to hear it's working for you. :D

The Project X is just an awesome RTA. Great flavor and hits. I vape from 12-16w with the Project X MTL version to 16-30w with the standard version. Both in TC and wattage modes. The X is one of my favorite atty's. I will be grabbing a couple more of the standard version for stash.

Thanks for taking the time to explain everything I really appreciate it.

I have my x working very good right now. In the past few days ive been running tests on wicking. What I now realize is the tighter the wick is in the coil the more crackle/pops you will get. I also now know how to tell if the wick is too tight. When the pops are very loud and are in no specific pattern the wick is being choked. The crackles will be all over the place like very big pops to smaller pops in the same inhale. Im also noticing that when this happens theres a slight delay with the draw. I think thats cause the air and vapor are struggling to escape. Whenever I wick it like this the cotton never lasts that long. In a very short period of time like two to three days max you start tasting burnt cotton.

When its wicked at the correct tightness I'll get a steady pattern of pops on the inhale. Vapor comes out immediately and the pops should be steady and pretty much at the same volume level. The pops won't be as loud as when its being choked but it should be loud enough to know your getting a good vape.

When its too loose theres barely any crackle and less vapor. I have my x wicked too loose right now and I dont get any crackle until after like 1-1.5 seconds after the inhale and its at a lower volume. Also the pops will be further apart from each other and less of a steady rhythm. Theres also less throat hit and less vapor. If I turn up the wattage though it'l crack more with more vapor. Theres probably alot of people out there that won't mind if it vapes like this but I dont like it. Its much better when its a little tighter.

This is what me and Chelsb were trying to figure out so I wanted to post my experience. I feel way more confident about wicking now.

Oh and these tests we're done with cotton at 23 watts. Ive never used rayon before.

johnpalley

ECF Veteran
    Mar 24, 2010
    boston
    You're welcome. :) Excellent!!! Good to know and I'm very happy to hear it's working for you. :D

The Project X is just an awesome RTA. Great flavor and hits. I vape from 12-16w with the Project X MTL version to 16-30w with the standard version. Both in TC and wattage modes. The X is one of my favorite atty's. I will be grabbing a couple more of the standard version for stash.
    I agree I love this freakin thing. Great flavor plus it’s easy to fill and get to the deck. Appreciate everything.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    A blog??? I guess that would be a good place to have it. Easier than hunting through pages searching for something.

That is a bloody brilliant idea Ange!!! :D

In each of the authentic Kayfun threads Bronze has everything needed listed in the first post for each Kayfun model which is super handy. Too bad we can't go back and insert a new first post with all the videos and helpful info. Hmmm...

Ange how come you don't have a Kayfun?

Yep, I'm a frickin genius ;)

I don't have a kayfun cause:
    My first RTA was a doggystyle and that was also my 2nd, 3rd and 4th
    The doggy unfortunately made me absolutely love shorter RTAs
    Kayfuns are taller tanks? If there are shorter ones in my airflow bracket 2.5mm id af let me know
    And finally, I really don't know - suggestions on good kayfuns are very welcome :D

• Love
    Reactions: ShowMeTwice
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread