Hussar Project X RTA Clone (by Coppervape)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
From what I've seen of the Olympics, the Chinese are terrifying.

I also don't get.... In this day and age..... Like, the Olympics at all of course I always watch. I guess it's a way to rub like, other countries noses in our physical prowess without actually killing them.

The US seems to approach it that way, I mean the endless medal counts? LOL

Anna

Reactions: muth

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hmm...@AngeNZ... I haven't tried everything, but my experience has been the coil 'down' provides 'more' hit...the air is more certain to strike the coil & wick dead on. Going by memory (which isn't that great anymore), the higher the wick, the airier (less dense) the vapor. I've gotten into a routine mode where I don't experiment too much. lol...like my work, when I got to a point where I had forgotten more than I currently knew, I figured it was about retirement time. :)

I was presuming :facepalm: - I figured since you like throat hit, the coil would be as high above the airflow holes as possible.

Anyway - I'm a firm believer in once you have found something that works for you, and gives you the result you were after - there's no need to change it :thumb:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Great. I need to look at mine. Any tips on that? I've done it once with a larger size and it wasn't as easy as I thought it might be.

fine tipped tweezers - I replaced my lil tank ones a few months ago and it's a pita, but at least tweezers keep hold of them better than my butterfingers ;)

Janusz

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2018
    Illinois, USA
    Use 2 flat head screwdrivers. Press o-ring into indentation with first screwdriver and keep it pressed and with second screwdriver keep pressing o-ring in small steps all around until whole o-ring will rest in this indentation. With thinner o-ring it is much easier than with fatter one.

muth

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 20, 2014
    Boston, MA, USA
    @Janusz @AngeNZ and all Xers. I didn't have to change out the o-rings. Besides, the spares looked to be about the same size. Here's what I did notice. The JFC holes in my long mode tank were plenty big. I could fit a 3mm mandrel in there. The smaller tank. I could only fit a 2.5mm. I also noticed that when tank was in JFC open position it over shot the juice holes a bit making the openings smaller. I just have to bear this in mind and back it off a little.

So, all in all, there's a lot to learn about these clones. For one, we all seem to have different experiences with them. It takes time and effort to sort through if the problems are user error or clone tolerances, etc. I shouldn't be surprised given that there are many moving parts to the X.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to have a quick checklist of all the points we've hit on for anyone else wanting to try the X? I hope there aren't any new discoveries:rolleyes:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    @Janusz @AngeNZ and all Xers. I didn't have to change out the o-rings. Besides, the spares looked to be about the same size. Here's what I did notice. The JFC holes in my long mode tank were plenty big. I could fit a 3mm mandrel in there. The smaller tank. I could only fit a 2.5mm. I also noticed that when tank was in JFC open position it over shot the juice holes a bit making the openings smaller. I just have to bear this in mind and back it off a little.

So, all in all, there's a lot to learn about these clones. For one, we all seem to have different experiences with them. It takes time and effort to sort through if the problems are user error or clone tolerances, etc. I shouldn't be surprised given that there are many moving parts to the X.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to have a quick checklist of all the points we've hit on for anyone else wanting to try the X? I hope there aren't any new discoveries:rolleyes:

SMT has already done the hard work - in his user guide to the Project X :thumb:

And that guide is stickied at the beginning of this whole thread so it's easily found by anyone.

There's always going to be differences in clones - the base will be made in one factory, the tank in another, the o-rings in another, and in another one - they are assembled :lol:

Until I win the lottery and can afford high end luxury attys, I'm perfectly happy with my RDA-like flavour galore cloned Project X :wub:

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 10, 2011
    Kentucky
    Hussar X Pros & Cons

Pros
    * Great Deck - I like the screws offset from perpendicular to the line of the coil. This makes for easy installation of the coil legs.
    * Smooth Hit
    * Can switch between 2ml and 4ml (extra cost) tanks.
    * Great Drip Tip!

Cons
    * Seems to require ~2x the wattage for the same level of vape that I'm acustomed to. - 2x battery use..?
    * Sometimes awkward operation in opening closing (mine is currently locked up). Curious logic to assembly / disassembly. Inconsistency in disassembly.
    * Seemingly uses more juice (per 1st con above...haven't actually measured).
    * 4ml ultem tank bottom flange separating. Hairline cracks in the flat areas of the tank.

Conclusion
    * Hussar X is now in retirment

Last edited:

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Hussar X Pros & Cons

Pros
    * Great Deck - I like the screws offset from perpendicular to the line of the coil. This makes for easy installation of the coil legs.
    * Smooth Hit
    * Can switch between 2ml and 4ml (extra cost) tanks.

Cons
    * Seems to require ~2x the wattage for the same level of vape that I'm acustomed to. - 2x battery use..?
    * Sometimes awkward operation in opening closing (mine is currently locked up). Curious logic to assembly / disassembly. Inconsistency in disassembly.
    * Seemingly uses more juice (per 1st con above...haven't actually measured).
    * 4ml ultem tank bottom flange separating. Hairline cracks in the flat areas of the tank.

Conclusion
    * Hussar X is now in retirment
    You know I was wondering why I'm not getting flavor out of mine .. I mean there's flavor but it's on par with a mediocre sub tank. I tried my 4th build on it today and it didn't make any difference. Then to see if I'm going crazy I used a actual subtank and put the Project X back on afterwards and didnt reset the wattage so I Vaped it at 25 watts and there was flavor. So apparently there is some flavor it's still not fabulous but I have to use twice the wattage that I usually use. I honestly thought I was crazy I don't understand why it would be so different from the beserker or the doggy style. I imagine eventually I will keep trying to work it out where I can use a simple round wire build and still get flavor at a lower wattage but I think for today I'll just go back to my doggy. I am absolutely positive that it's still user related error in my case

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    All right well I decided after reading everything well reading through some things in the thread to give it another Go Changing just about everything about the way I built it. I aimed for .5 ohm on stainless steel round wire and wicked it (for the first time ever) with rayon. Still using the peanut butter and jelly juice that I can't believe I love but I do and it is definitely improved this round no clue why because I changed almost everything so in hindsight that probably wasn't the best idea but whatever I found something that works better and I can build on that. Yay it's still not up to where I would like it but at least I can taste the peanut butter in the peanut butter and jelly which is definitely the strongest flavor I think I might taste a hint of jelly

classwife

Admin
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 9, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    @AngeNZ, hey Ange ... how did ya all get my original guide on the front page? :confused:

Can we do that with the new PDF guide and get rid of the old there? :wub:

Please let me know if I need to do something. Thanks and appreciate it! :)

I saw your post and just got it added in for you.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    @classwife , hey Classy can I bug you 1 more time to ask if you can get rid of everything except the PDF link? Please?

Ya know, just the part, like below, and the other links can go to the bit bucket. I think it would make more sense and easier for people. The other links are just my old info anyways whereas the PDF is the latest.

Edited to add :
    ShowMeTwice's Comprehensive Tutorial

.....now a PDF file
    Hussar Project X RTA Clone (by Coppervape)

TIA :nun: :thumb:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread