HV atties..voltage vs resistance question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
I had no idea where to post this question so I thought I'd post it here..

It was to my understanding that HV atties have a higher resistance that will essentually tale 1 or 2V off the source voltage..so for example if I were using a 4.2 ohm atty on a battery source providing 6V..it would essentually provide 1V of resistance and be like vaping at 5V..

Here's where my question comes in..I got said atty and tried putting it on a 3.7V battery...it was to my understanding that it shouldn't even work (produce any vapor at all)...however it does..and that's what confuses me..so how can we tell it's actually a HV atty short of buying a voltmeter and learning how to test these things?

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
This is not my area of expertise, but Ohms Law is Ohms Law, no matter who quotes it. Actually, I think Joule's Law is more relevant here:

P = V(squared) / R

V is voltage, measured in volts
R is resistance, measured in ohms
P is power, measured in watts​

Power is what drives vapor and throat hit. So, to use your example:

Power = 6V X 6V / 4.2 ohms = 8.57 watts for that atty on a 6V battery

Power = 3.7 X 3.7 / 4.2 ohms = 3.26 watts for that same atty on a 3.7V batt

Significantly less, but not zero.

Kewtsquirrel

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2009
DFW, TX
moddersupply.com
This is actually my area of expertise, as I spearheaded the whole High Voltage atty thing after a late nite chat with Cisco and some ideas were thrown around.

The goal of the HV atomizers is to produce the wattage of a standard atomizer on 5v using different voltages. I ordered a bunch of atomizers of various ohm ratings and a bunch of modders ordered them to test, and we all found that the sweet spot is somewhere between 7.5-10 watts.

A fresh 3.7v battery /may/ power a 4.2 ohm atomizer, but the vapor production and throat hit should be very, very weak. Without knowing where you got it, I can't tell you with 100% certainty that it is indeed a high voltage atomizer, unless you special ordered it from me, or bought it from Nhaler (Drewsworld).

I worked very closely with Nhaler to bring the high voltage atomizers to the vaping public after the testing was complete, and drew is a good guy - if you order a HV atomizer from him, you'll get an HV atomizer, I'd stake my reputation on that.

As far as actual testing goes, you'd need an ohmmeter, but sometimes atomizers start giving funky readings once they have liquid in them, so that's not always viable either. Good suppliers are the key here, you have to trust who you're buying from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread