hybrid mech questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannon walker

Aug 4, 2015
Ok to start I do know a little bit about hybrids I know to only use attys with protruding 510. My question is more about how do I know when to swap out my batteries because I wouldn't want to drain them past a safe point.

I'm asking because I have a SMPL mod and derringer rda coming in the future and I just want to be safe do I pull the battery out and test it with an ohm meter?

This will be my first mech and I will be sure to be as safe as possible so any other tips or things I should know about would be really appreciated thank you in advance guys also I plan on doing more research before it arrives but figured I would start here as any other questions I ever had were answered great Herethanks again

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Most of the batteries we use are safe (not harmful to the battery) to discharge down to about 2.5V (this varies a bit, so do a google search for your own battery's "specifications"). If you pull/swap/charge your batteries when the vape becomes noticeably weaker, that'll probably be around 3.5V. So, there's a big, fat margin for interpretive variation there.

Won't hurt to check the battery's voltage the first handful of times you go to charge it. That'll give you a sense for what various levels of discharge feel like.

Reactions: Verb

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I wouldn't recommend a SMPL mech mod for a first mechanical, but at least you seem to know the dangers. (?)

voltage-tester.png

You can purchase an inexpensive inline voltage meter to measure the battery voltage as you vape. Don't drain your batteries lower than 3.4 volts. (An ohm meter only checks coil resistance in ohms, not battery voltage.)

Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod

18650 Safety Grades -- Picking a safe battery to vape with
List of battery tests

Last edited:
Reactions: Hans Wermhat

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Ok to start I do know a little bit about hybrids I know to only use attys with protruding 510. My question is more about how do I know when to swap out my batteries because I wouldn't want to drain them past a safe point.

I'm asking because I have a SMPL mod and derringer rda coming in the future and I just want to be safe do I pull the battery out and test it with an ohm meter?

This will be my first mech and I will be sure to be as safe as possible so any other tips or things I should know about would be really appreciated thank you in advance guys also I plan on doing more research before it arrives but figured I would start here as any other questions I ever had were answered great Herethanks again

That is not a hybrid mech question.

With any mech you learn from experience when your battery needs changing.

Yes you can take it out and test it; after a few weeks of that you get a good idea.

shannon walker

Aug 4, 2015
Reactions: Baditude

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Mods like the OP is inquiring about are "hybrid Look" mods, not hybrids.

Hybrid mods don't have 510 threads.
The atomizer fits into the mod body on a hybrid mechanical.
Hybrid atty:

image.jpg

Hybrid mechanical:

image.jpg

Hybrids are less dangerous to use than most mechanicals and much more safe than "hybrid look" mods.

Reactions: bwh79

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
I'm pretty sure that taking an 18650 below 2.5v is a good way to kill it, so skirting close to this is bound to stress it.

yeah . . . . we'll have to keep our eyes peeled for anyone recommending that. :blink:

smile.gif

(I'd imagine anything under 3V is a lot like vaping a parsnip. I mean, you can do it; but it feels a little . . .. . no-vapey.)

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
Most of what I have read says to charge around 3.5 - 3.6V to prolong battery life. At that point there is a VERY noticeable reduction in vapor production. You will get a feel for it. Remember that as batteries age, the CDR drops off. A good way to test them is to charge them and let them set for a couple of days, then test the voltage. If there is any drop from a full charge they are aging. Sounds like you are educating yourself, but please be careful with the SIMPL mod. :thumb:

Reactions: pdib

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Ok to start I do know a little bit about hybrids I know to only use attys with protruding 510.

↑this, OP, I assume means that you know that your biggest safety concern is creating a hard short with a pseudo-hybrid setup. You didn't state whether the gear your buying is authentic, so there's a question as to whether the +pin on the "Derringer" 510 protrudes far enough to avoid an explosion. Or whether that +contact will continue to sit proud of the surrounding 510 negative body with use/time. You also know that you can (over time) dimple the top of your battery, with this arrangement, and that can cause a hard short too (leading to thermal runaway. . .boom).

So, these are, by exponential degree, your biggest safety concerns with running this setup. And your statement (quoted) is, I assume, why this thread isn't focusing in on the real safety concerns here.

You are not going to run into safety issues with how deeply you discharge your battery. You would have to be dead-stupid-drunk to run your battery so far down as to create safety issues. There is a noticeable drop in vape quality around 3.5V. At 3V, you're almost not even vaping.
If, if, if you were to continue to "vape" (when it's no longer producing any steam) all the way down to 2.5V (manufacturer's specified discharge limit), you still wouldn't be instigating catastrophe. (you might want to buy some new batteries, sooner rather than later)

Over time, how deeply you discharge your batteries will have some effect on their performance and longevity. This, also, wasn't your question tho. (whether you'll need to drop another $8 in 7 months or 12 months for a new battery). The only scenario in which you might have a bit of a concern is if you repeatedly tax your batteries by running them down too far and then demand the highest degree of output from them. Meaning, don't discharge your batteries to 3V a bunch, and then decide to super-sub-ohm with those batteries to where your drawing most of the Continuous Discharge Rating.

So, the topic of *safe* discharge levels is moot, really. Both in the sense that your safety concerns lay elsewhere (pseudo-hybrid mod paired with "whatever" atty), and in that it takes comatose numbness to vape a battery down to where it's dangerous. So, don't worry about it. (worry about the other thing!!)

smile.gif

A NOTE: I'm posting this, not in reply to anything . . . it's almost out of context. I just realized that others will come along and read this thread, and we didn't cover the real safety issues here . . . not specifically anyway. Which could be misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread