Hybrid or Provari

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechJ

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2012
Alaska
Either or. A provari mini and zap will run you 300 + shipping an iHybrid and kick will run you about 270+ shipping. Both would need batteries and a charger. The iHybrid doesn't include wicks or wire. Either way you will be spending about the same.

I own both and use them daily. They each have their own traits that makes them incomparable.

MrKV

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
Japan to NoVA
Either or. A provari mini and zap will run you 300 + shipping an iHybrid and kick will run you about 270+ shipping. Both would need batteries and a charger. The iHybrid doesn't include wicks or wire. Either way you will be spending about the same.

I own both and use them daily. They each have their own traits that makes them incomparable.

Please enlighten us to the differences in vapor/throat hit/flavor between a good genisis atty on a provari and a iHybrid.

TechJ

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2012
Alaska
That's a tough comparative to do. Both are quite capable in the terms of creating great clouds of vapor, awesome flavor, and great throat hit.
The provari has a lot of protections built in. These protections can make it challenging for a beginner to use a genesis atty on. To make this little beauty shine you have to have knowledge of ohms law. It has a current limit of 2.5amps and a voltage ceiling of 6 volts. Running it hard at the ragged edge WILL give you a thermal protection error. It will also give you a lo resistance error if you try to use a coil under 1 ohm.
The iHybrid is a mechanical mod with only one built in protection. It has a vented switch which allows for the pressure released from a runaway battery to escape. As long as you clean all the contact points, switch, and threads it is a pretty dependable device. Add a kick and you have the ability to set your wattage and it will regulate the resistance of the coil accordingly to maintain a constant wattage regardless of voltage. The kick also has a cut off effect at 3 volts to keep from over discharging your batteries.
Any way you look at em genesis attys can be tuned to the users taste. Each user is different and so are tuning and effects of any genesis atty.

From a cost standpoint setting up a kit with either mod is pretty even. For ease of use I would give the iHybrid an advantage. For built in safeties the provari has the edge. ( add a kick to the iHybrid and it is on par in my honest opinion )

My best advice would be to study up on genesis devices, how to set them up properly, battery safety, and materials needed to maintain them. Obtaining a good understanding of how they work and the safety factors involved is paramount.

I really can't give you an explanation of vapor/ throat hit / flavor differences between the two set ups because different coil, wick, voltage/wattage gives different results.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I'll second getting the Provari 1st, with a cheap genesis style RBA like the Birkshire (aka aga-T) from gotvapes.com. If you get a Hybrid first, you'll need to buy an ohm meter along with it. Despite what you may think, your first few times trying to make an RBA work aren't going to be a peachy walk in the park lol. Your going to need an ohm meter (which comes built into the Provari) & you'll want a device that can tell you if you've made a set-up with a short or not. (provari) With protection from said short(s) (.....provari)

So I'll 2nd the provari. With the Provari... No matter what ohm coil you build, you can set your provari's voltage to match it well. If you decide you dislike building coils, you can switch back to cartos and clearos and clearo tanks easily and no matter what ohm cartomizers or clearos or vivi nova heads you've got, you'll be able to easily tailor your voltage to their resistance with the provari.

If your going to WANT to get into fixed voltage hybrids and gennys, you need to first get a good understanding for a good vape. Variable voltage with an ohm meter is exactly what you'll need starting out. an ohm meter can be had cheaply, but that provari is gonna help a lot, especially with shorts. A provari has enough safety features to allow you to screw up without worrying about harming your PV or your battery or yourself. So I highly recommend the Provari first if your serious about becoming hobbyist.

Its really no contest in my opinion.

Last edited:

TechJ

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2012
Alaska
I can see your point. I picked up a provari for my first battery mod using carto tanks and clearos. Then I got an iHybrid. Shortly after finding my Vaping sweet spot I picked up a zap for my provari. I use both everyday. I don't leave home without em. However, where my provari has failed me due to all the finicky setup issues, my iHybrid has always worked flawlessly.

I

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
Asking if you should get a Provari or a hybrid is like asking if you should get a Krell CD player or an Oracle turntable...

They both use VERY different approaches to do essentially the same thing.

They are both more expensive for what they do than what 99% of the people on the planet are willing to pay.

They both have unbelievably solid build quality, impeccable craftsmanship, and fabulous aesthetics.

They both are going to give you outstanding performance out of the box, and with some geeky tweaking will put you very near to that unattainable goal of perfection.

They both will give you serious bragging rights among vapers who are impressed by things like how your gear looks, and how much it costs.

And they are both hard to get, but have very high resale value so if you decide you don't like them, you will probably be able to get most of your money back on the second-hand market...

I decided to go with the ihybrid. I love my RBA on my kicked bolt so the ihybrid with changable tubes for different batteries works well in my opinion. I wanted a provari back when I started vaping but playing with them and hearing people having to deal with all the errors turned me off. This is my first genesis style atomizer but once you know how to make your setup work its so simple and cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread