Hydrate While You Vape This Summer – Tip

Status
Not open for further replies.
originally posted here Hydrate While You Vape This Summer – Weekend Tip « Big Vapers

----

Not everyone experiences the symtoms but vaping can lead to dehydration, especially when you’re first starting out. This is very common when your body is adjusting to this new activity and the introduction of vg and pg.

I remember when I first started vaping, I was dehydrated often: dry mouth, itchy skin, etc. The solution, simple – drink more water! I stil find myself dehydrated sometimes when chain vaping or vaping juices that have a higher percentage of pg.

Some basic science

Every day you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements. For your body to function properly, you must replenish its water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water. You can add vaping to the list of activities that cause a loss of water.

So how much fluid does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. The average intake for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.

However, we have all heard the advice “Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day.” That’s about 1.9 liters. Not exactly what the Institute of Medicine recommends, but pretty close. I think most doctors would agree that at least eight 8-ounce glasses a day is a good start.

During summer months when the humidity is hugh you are loosing almost twice sa much water through the same basic activities, so make sure to keep hydrated when outdoors.

In terms of vaping – I’ve heard that the 8×8 rule still applies but add 2 extra glasses for good measure. Personally, I will drink water while I vape if I found my mouth is getting dry.

So this summer make sure to consume plenty of water while you vape on the beach, on a terrasse, or in a park.

bodrell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Michigan
Actually the "eight glasses of water a day" is a myth.
Also,
Water: How much should you drink every day? - MayoClinic.com

Fluid comes from everything you drink (not just water, although it's certainly a better choice than soda or beer!) and much of what you eat - most fruits and vegetables are 80-90% water.

Great advice to stay hydrated, especially when vaping - but the "eight 8 oz glasses of water per day" recommendation is really a myth; or at the very least an inaccurate rule of thumb.

a big ol' bottle of water should be a part of every vapers kit. It does really help when the flavors you love start to get a little stale and ya don't get the background notes of your flavors. As well as on a hot day you will not feel good if you aren't downing water while ya vape because what is in the fluid is hydrophilic so it actually removes some water from your body each time you exhale it. more so than normal respiration.

sahilm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2010
New Delhi India
thanks for the great advice , i am trying to go through about 4-5 litres of water + some gatorate everyday . its 115 here in new delhi , India and i am zonked due to the heat ... lots of water is good and certainly something to replenish the essential and non essential salts in the body .

wishing you well
warm regards
Sahil.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
Yeah, the 8 glasses of water each day is a myth. If I was only to drink 8 glasses at work, without vaping. I'd surely be dehydrated. It all depends on how much water we lose on a daily basis. I have to be careful how much I vape. I've been dehydrated. Heat stroke doesn't feel too good either.

Be careful out there this Summer folks :)

bodrell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Michigan
Oh yeah lots of variables. I often work outside in summer (painting contractor) and sometimes literally drink gallons of water without having to pee fort 8-10 hours because it's evaporating so quickly! :D
OTOH, if I'm sitting on my .... inside, I don't drink nearly as much water. And I'm weird; loathe any form of pop/soda/sweet carbonated drinks, so I do drink a lot more plain water than the average bear. Definitely when vaping, I get dry mouth if I don't.

bodrell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Michigan
Yep I think Gatorade-type drinks are unecessary for most people most of the time, but when it's really hot and I'm outside working really physically hard all day...I sometimes drink that too.

sahilm, 115 degrees: YUCK! I've spent plenty of time in the Southwestern US where it routinely gets that hot...and don't care for it at all. :p

Actually the "eight glasses of water a day" is a myth.
Also,
Water: How much should you drink every day? - MayoClinic.com

Fluid comes from everything you drink (not just water, although it's certainly a better choice than soda or beer!) and much of what you eat - most fruits and vegetables are 80-90% water.

Great advice to stay hydrated, especially when vaping - but the "eight 8 oz glasses of water per day" recommendation is really a myth; or at the very least an inaccurate rule of thumb.

agreed, it is a myth ... but it is a good start - most people have a hard time drinking that much water to begin with :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread