Not open for further replies.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Yesterday I witnessed the most biased piece of reporting by a BBC unit that I have ever seen. It cleverly ignored the facts, and used an interview with a doctor who is suspected of extreme bias in order to present a 'shock, horror' news item that fits into the finest Sunday Sport 'aliens ate my baby' tradition.

Here are just a few of the questions raised by this extraordinary news item from BBC North:

1. Why are we not being told the most important, the most crucial item of information in this case? If someone dies from Paraffin Lung (lipoid pneumonia), why were we not told specifically that the patient had never used paraffin for the alleviation of constipation? This is like a death occurring from cyanide poisoning - but then we are told the Police are not investigating. Eh?

Paraffin lung is the occupational disease of fire-eaters, as they hold wads of paraffin (kerosene) in the side of the mouth, and ignite the fumes. Doing this also causes them to breathe the fumes in, resulting in lipoid pneumonia. Few (if any) die though, since they are mainly young, fit people. The elderly and infants though, if exposed to paraffin fumes, are not so strong, and can die. Paraffin Lung is seen in those who frequently use paraffin for the alleviation of constipation, since the fumes can be dangerous and indeed deadly for older people or infants.

So in the case of a death from Paraffin Lung, the most important aspect of the case would be: did the patient ever take paraffin for constipation? Because if the answer to this were negative, we would then be looking at an unusual case and another possible cause would have to be investigated.

2. In the event of rare and unique cause of death, it is normally the case that further investigations are carried out. Why are we not being told about the investigations that the pathologist would have carried out in order to determine the agent that was the cause of death?

Firstly, oil samples from the lung would have been analysed; and then several samples from the intestine would have been taken, in order to determine whether paraffin was or was not present in the digestive tract. Why are we not being told the results of these analyses?

If it is being suggested that no such investigation took place, then it seems that we have to assume that Paraffin Lung was not the primary cause of death. Instead, perhaps it was one among several items listed on the Death Certificate as the possible cause of death. In this case we should not be discussing Paraffin Lung as the cause of death, since emphysema and heart disease (for example) might also be listed, and be equally likely (or more likely) as the cause of death.

3. The BBC team were told that the deceased was a smoker with decades of use. He is reported to have used an e-cigarette for a few months. It is reported that he suffered from numerous smoking-related conditions including but not limited to emphysema and heart disease.

Since they were also told by the UK trade association that e-cigarettes are known to be safe, and that there was a wealth of research on the ingredients, why did they present a highly-unbalanced news item as a result? Whose agenda is being followed here?

4. Because of the notable lack of balance in the news report, it is necessary to question either the integrity of the news team or the doctor involved; or the possibility that the film editor made a series of critical errors by removing all the important facts of the case. For example it appeared that the widow had not been told that deaths from Paraffin Lung are caused by the use of paraffin for constipation in older people, since neither she nor anyone else mentioned this crucial fact. Or is it the case that lipoid pneumonia was not in fact the primary cause of death? In which case, why did the BBC present it as the cause of death (and also remove any and all relevant information)?

5. Then, we find that the doctor concerned may be a supporter of the WHO type of pseudo-medical opinion that all tobacco use is fatal and should be banned - overlooking the fact that some forms of tobacco use, such as smokeless tobacco products, are proven 1,000 times safer than cigarettes. This is after all why Sweden has the lowest rate of male cancer in Europe. Or is that something that the BBC are unaware of?

All-in-all this was one of the worst cases of biased reporting that has ever been seen from a BBC local unit, who cleverly managed to conceal or omit all the facts. Full marks for editorial bias - or extreme naivety - whichever you prefer.

Emphysema patients are at risk of developing pneumonia; and it is known to be difficult to diagnose which of the many types of pneumonia is involved (especially if no investigation is carried out). This is increasingly looking like a smear campaign by the doctor involved, assisted possibly unwittingly by the BBC, whose naivety was certainly a bonus.

Last edited:

skye

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
Texas
The BBC must have been short of other stories to run. The man died last August. Does it normallly take half a year in the UK for the coroner to determine the manner of death? Gosh, if it were a case of murder, the trail would be frigid by now.

I agree about how long it has taken to report on this mans autopsy, as well.
I feel there is much more to this story, and we may never hear the truth of it all. Still, I strongly feel that e-cigs had nothing to do with his death. May be something in the juice? I don't know. He only vaped for 8 months!!!! I'm thinking he most likely had this 'lung condition' long before he picked up an e-cig. Developed from decades of smoking analogs. Shame on his doctor!!!!!!

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
The BBC journalist contacted ECITA for a quote.

He told me that the coroner had found an ‘oily residue’ in the man’s lungs, and that the man’s doctor had some concerns about his use of the ecig, since so little is known about these devices.

He asked me for a statement, and I explained some of the basics about the fact that we don’t use oils in eliquid, that the base liquids are PG, VG or PEG, which are all GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) and that there are between 4,000 and 10,000 chemicals in cigarettes – many of which have yet to be identified – which we know can leave oily residues in the lungs.

I explained that I would need to know how long the gentleman had been smoking for, and how long he had used an ecig before I could provide an accurate statement on behalf of ECITA Ltd. He said that he would make some enquiries and get back to me.

After a few minutes, a reporter called me to provide more information. She told me that the deceased gentleman had been using an ecig between October 2009 and June/July 2010. He stopped using the ecig after having respiratory problems, she said. He passed away in August last year.

I asked her if the coroner had performed any analysis on this ‘oily residue’ in the lung, and if so, what did it turn out to be? The reporter was unaware of any such analysis being undertaken.

The reporter told me that interstitial lung disease was the official cause of death.

BBC Look North 28th March 2011 - UK Vapers

Interstitial (in-tur-STISH-ul) lung disease actually describes a group of disorders, most of which cause progressive scarring of lung tissue. This eventually affects your ability to breathe and get enough oxygen into your bloodstream. Beyond this, the disorders vary greatly.

Most cases of interstitial lung disease develop gradually, but some come on suddenly. Doctors can pinpoint why some cases of interstitial lung disease occur, but many have no known cause.

In all cases, once lung scarring occurs, it's generally irreversible. Medications occasionally can slow the damage of interstitial lung disease, but many people never regain full use of their lungs. Researchers hope that newer drugs, many still experimental, may eventually prove more effective in treating interstitial lung disease.

Interstitial lung disease - MayoClinic.com

Questions:
1. Why did the BBC run with this statement, instead of mentioning the official cause of death?

Mr Miller, who used large quantities of the substitutes, had suffered from a lung disease - severe lipoid pneumonia.

2. Why was there no mention in the story that ECITA stated that oils are not used in the e-cig liquids?

3. During the course of the discussion with ECITA, the reporter stated that the doctor had mentioned Intellicig. Why did the reporter not contact Intellicig and ask, "Are there oils in your e-cigarette liquid?"

Or maybe they did contact Intellicig and when the answer was "no" decided not to include that, since it didn't support Dr. Allcock-and-bull's story.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Addendum:

The story gave the false impression that the cause of death was lipoid pneumonia, as opposed to the official coroner's ruling on the cause of death: interstitial lung disease. If the man had scarring on his lung tissue, the most likely cause of that was years of smoking.

The manner of death is what was left open: Was it a natural death, suicide, murder, negligence? If the latter, was the negligence on the part of the medical team treating him while he was in hospital?

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
I think there were so many things wrong with that report that a professional journalist would be able to make a list several pages long. It actually appears that there is no editorial control within that BBC unit, or that they have decided that Sunday Sport standards can now be freely applied (it's a trash UK rag with large pictures - you know what type - and comic-book stories).

Why did the doctor not mention the crucial fact that in cases of Paraffin Lung, the person who died was normally a frequent user of paraffin to alleviate constipation? (Or of course a fire-eater, as this is their occupational disease.)

Why did the widow not mention the fact that although her husband died of Paraffin Lung, he had never used paraffin as a laxative?

Why did the BBC not ask a senior medical figure with knowledge of e-cigarettes for their opinion on the matter? There are enough resources listed here, after all.

Why did the BBC take the doctor's statement that, "We don't know what's in them" (or similar) at face value - when there are reams of research that state the opposite?

The list just goes on and on. It was trash reporting of the worst kind and the BBC should be thoroughly ashamed.

[edit after V's edit :) ]
Yes - the story gave the strong impression that the cause of death was lipoid pneumonia / Paraffin Lung. Another distortion of the truth. I guess if the story isn't good enough, it needs a little embroidery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread