I’m new...so here’s my life story...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad-Daddy

Jan 10, 2020
Hello,

My name is Greg, but you can call me what ever you want. Really, call me “what ever you want” if you want...lol I often answer even when you’re not talking to me anyway, so I’m pretty used to being ignored. I’m not trying to be rude...I just can’t say 1 thing without saying 100. Some people say I like to hear my own voice, but, actually, I’m a career salesman, so it’s just what I do.

A little about me... I’m a married, father of 2 kids. I’m not quite 40, but one of my kids is already an adult, so I’m a very young old man. In fact, both my kids will be 18 before I’m 40, so I’ll get my freedom my friends had in their 20s in a few short years. As I said, I’m a career salesman, but it’s almost more than that. I grew up in a car dealership. I literally sold my first new car at 14, and I’ve held every major position in a dealership accept “owner” and “general manager”. It’s not exactly a “family business”, because no one in my family was ever an “owner” but my grandfather, father, older sister and my wife have all worked at car dealerships, so it kinda is. My grandpa, my dad, and I are the only three that made careers out if it, but my son also wants a shot, so who knows how long the tradition will continue.

I smoked cigarettes for 14 years before I quit on my wife’s birthday in May of 2012. I quit cold turkey and promised myself I would never pick another cigarette. I did really well until I got sick in March of 2017. My diagnosis was very stressful and I started smoking cigars instead. After a few months I was smoking 8-10 a day, and I had to stop. One day I stopped a the gas station to pick up some cigars, and I decided to by a Vuse Vibe instead. It worked like crap, but it helped, and, most importantly, it showed me that I could quit with vaping!! A few days later I googled the local vape shop and went to talk with the stoner that worked there. I don’t think we were speaking the same language, but I left with a $20-30ml bottle of flavored sweetener and a Smok Prince Stick. To this day, Ive kept my promise and I haven’t touched a cigarette!!

My wife also smoked for about 12 years, and she quit the day after me. She never relapsed like I did, but she quit using the gum, and never stopped chewing it, so it was doing a number on her teeth. As I learned more about the equipment and e-liquid itself, I thought my wife might be able to switch from the gum to a pod device. The gum was very expensive, and I thought this might help us save money. She instantly fell in love with vaping and hasn’t touched the gum since. However, soon the pods weren’t cutting it, and she wanted her own setup. Now, she has more mods and chucks fatter clouds than I do...and I’m so proud!! It wasn’t long before I learned that juice and coils are expensive too, but there was a cheaper way...

I started with the coils. At $5 a piece, using 4 a week, we couldn’t maintain that, but I wasn’t sure if I could even build my own coils. I finally pulled the trigger on a Dead Rabbit RDA. It didn’t go well at first, but I slowly go the hang of it. The problem was...it’s really hard for me to drip all day. It didn’t matter. We couldn’t afford to keep buying coils, so I had to do something. At one point my wife mentioned using our tax return to stock up on coils and juice. I talked her into letting me get 5 different RTAs so we could try them all and see what we liked. We got Dead Rabbit RTA, Serpent Elevate, Ammit Dual, Kylin V2, and the Zeus X. We both agreed that we liked the Kylin V2 the best, but the Zeus X was a close second. We decided to get a second Kylin V2, but the second one started leaking...a lot. I assumed we got a bad one, and I know that happens, so we just ordered a third. Unfortunately, that one leaks too. Fed up, I got a second Zeus X, and, although we both agree the Kylin V2 has better taste, it’s not that much better that it’s worth the leakage. The Zeus X tastes pretty darn good, and it never leaks!! I’ve since ordered 4 more, so, if you’re counting, I have 11 RTAs in my house. I only use 6 on a regular basis, but they each have their good qualities. Either way, I went from spending $20 a week on coils, to less than $5 a month for cotton and wire. So I solved the coil problem.

Then I turned my attention to juice. We were going through 60ml a week, and paying almost $40 for that. I thought “they can get these prices in the store, but it’s gotta be cheaper online“. Spoiler alert...it wasn’t. I mean, it was less money for more juice...but since I paid $20 for 240ml, and I threw 236ml in the trash, I basically wasted $20, and wasn’t going to make that mistake again. While I was looking for cheap juice, people kept telling me to make my own. I was skeptical, but I did some digging, and it actually seemed plausible. The more digging I did, the more plausible it seemed. Finally, in late October of 2018, I placed my first DIY order. Since then I’ve accumulated over 300 concentrates and enough nicotine to last us 7 years at our current strength. At my one year DIY anniversary, I gathered all my DIY receipts and totaled it up. I had spent less than a thousand dollars, which was far less than I would’ve spent on retail juice, and I now have stock piles of juice that will last me for years.

Wrapping up, I’ve managed to get the cost of our nicotine habit down from about $60 a week to under $10 a month. It took me a few years, but I finally feel like I beat the almighty cigarette!! We’re coming up on 8 years cigarette free, and I haven't spent a dime in months. Along the way I’ve met some amazing people, and had some awesome experiences. I enjoy this lifestyle, but I also think vaping Is a better alternative to a nasty problem. If I can, I’d like to leave you with a quote from a family guy that’s always on TV. He was talking about stem cell treatment, but I say this all the time about vaping. “WHY ARE WE NOT FUNDING THIS?”

FlyerTom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Nor'Eastern PA
mjHJuAF.png

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
“WHY ARE WE NOT FUNDING THIS?”
Welcome and glad you joined.
The same reason we fail to keep getting into conflicts/wars (industrial/military complex) and put down universal health care(big pharma Et al) in this country. IT'S NOT PROFITABLE !!!
Re:

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Dripping can be a pain in the seat, especially while driving. But I have a dead rabbit RDA going on 2 years now and it still kicks hiney. Kicking honey right now with it as I type this lol. But it does sound like you got this vape thing figured out, congrats! Welcome to ECF!

Reactions: Opinionated

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Welcome and congrats! (I always say that but especially mean it this time!) Very impressive... I'm finally into building and DIY juice but took awhile (was sick on being a slave to drop-in coils) and making your own juice is so cheap (and challenging... but also fun)
You didn't mention what you thought of the Serpent Elevate (that's next on my wishlist... also the vapefly galaxies MTL RDTA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread