I am an authentic buyer, tempted to buy a mech. Yes or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxximusRevelation

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2016
So I have always been one of those types to always choose an authentic over a clone. But over time the more mods I purchase the less I can justify paying 100+ for a piece of metal tubing lol. Was wondering what peoples experiences in mech clones are? I have a few in mind I will link to that I am interested in.

Apocalypse GEN 2 Style Brass 18650 Mechanical Mod 24mm RDA Kit

Kennedy 25 Style Hybrid Brass Mechanical Mod Kennedy 25 Style RDA Kit

Now if anyone has experience with these two particular clones I would greatly appreciate it, but any input at all about any clones would be greatly appreciated too as I am always wanting to expand my collection and am always open to advice.

If that Kennedy clone performs even half as good as the authentic, for 22.00 than my bank account is about to take a real heavy hit. :drool:

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
So I have always been one of those types to always choose an authentic over a clone. But over time the more mods I purchase the less I can justify paying 100+ for a piece of metal tubing lol. Was wondering what peoples experiences in mech clones are? I have a few in mind I will link to that I am interested in.

Apocalypse GEN 2 Style Brass 18650 Mechanical Mod 24mm RDA Kit

Kennedy 25 Style Hybrid Brass Mechanical Mod Kennedy 25 Style RDA Kit

Now if anyone has experience with these two particular clones I would greatly appreciate it, but any input at all about any clones would be greatly appreciated too as I am always wanting to expand my collection and am always open to advice.

If that Kennedy clone performs even half as good as the authentic, for 22.00 than my bank account is about to take a real heavy hit. :drool:
In recently got my first mech and thought about the same question.. I went authentic.. the reason being I believe that my first one should be from a trusted source. Didn't want to over worry about any possible problems. But I would never buy a clone regulated mod either. To many things that could potentially go wrong. I am not against people getting clones at all. Getting a clone tank or rda is a lot easier to see if there is a problem with them and the worst is it just won't fit together correctly, cheap screws, or leak all over the place..

There are other options to save costs and not spend $100+.
You can check the classified for a used one or there are mech mods that are older authentics you can get new that came out maybe 1 or 2 years ago. You gotta hunt for them but there out there... what is your top $$ you will spend?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I have well over 100 mechs.
Both authentic and clones.

We dont buy authentics because of an imaginary level of quality or performance, because its just not there.

We buy authentics to own an original example of a mod.

Its a metal tube with a horn switch and a cool logo.

If all you want from your mech is a good solid vape, go for a clone and save 90%.

If you want an original example of a particular mod, a clone just wont scratch the itch.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
Not everything is a tube mod.

If your budget is $30, so it goes. i'll not lecture you on safety and so on because i'm sure you're a grown-arsed man and can do it yourself.

You might want to consider the resale value too if it's something you are unsure about, or are dabbling in - some authentics are gold dust.

T

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I can't say about mechs but I can discuss clones verses authentic pieces - at least where concerns RTA's.

1:1 clones come out almost as fast as the authentics. The Chinese have r&d theft down pat, and they sell their clones at pennies on the dollar.

Once something goes from New to used, it looses some value, so unless you get the authentic on sale, you will probably loose a little money on the piece, maybe not much but some, in the event you don't enjoy the piece and need to resell it. Plus, you have the hassle of selling..

If I buy a 1:1 clone, it's to try a piece out and see how I like it.. if I like the clone, I will purchase the authentic, because the authentic is usually better made, better quality, so what I enjoyed about the clone, that enjoyment will only increase with the authentic.

If you don't like the piece and it's a clone you've invested in, your out 20 bucks and have something for another person to try out without the hassle of resale. If you like it.. hey buy authentic and have a back up of something you like.. it's a win win.

I can't imagine mech mods being any different, if your buying a 1:1 clone.. if it's not an actual 1:1 clone, I wouldn't invest personally, because you then have no idea if you would even like the authentic. But that's just me..

nebulaskin

Dec 6, 2016

If all you want from your mech is a good solid vape, go for a clone and save 90%.

Mostly this!
Started with clones too and now I'm only on authentic AvidLyfe mechs, collecting them and spending quite a lot of money on them.
It's not a superior vape compared to a clone, it's just about having something original and nice to collect!

Think about Louis Vuitton bags. You can buy 1:1 replicas but when hanging around with it, you're not so "happy" and "satisfated" if you know it's a replica.
The same goes for mech mods in my case.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I have had great success buying positively reviewed mech clones from Fasttech. Out of the 20+ I have bought, only a few were duds and they didn't have many positive reviews.

Bad Ninja is right, the quality difference between good clones and authentics is getting very minimal due to good CNC machines, 3D printers, etc.

I own over a dozen authentics and my Gus and GP mods are better than any clone I have tried..... But at $5-10x the price.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY

We dont buy authentics because of an imaginary level of quality or performance, because its just not there.

If you want an original example of a particular mod, a clone just wont scratch the itch.
Very well said ....my opinon exactly..............................

Reactions: Bad Ninja

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Thanks everyone for their replies. I do think knowing the mech its self is a clone would eventually get to me as I do like collecting authentic pieces. I just need to be happy with what I have and stop wanting to buy every single mod I see :cry:
The feeling of a new and different ....Shiny........never really wears off I been buying since November 2013.....and am still looking for something new and

exciting I don't have yet.....lol.......whether I need it or not.........lol

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I have had great success buying positively reviewed mech clones from Fasttech. Out of the 20+ I have bought, only a few were duds and they didn't have many positive reviews.

Bad Ninja is right, the quality difference between good clones and authentics is getting very minimal due to good CNC machines, 3D printers, etc.

I own over a dozen authentics and my Gus and GP mods are better than any clone I have tried..... But at $5-10x the price.

Here's the catch:
Most authentics are made by a small crew or a couple machinists in a small independent shop on equipment they can afford.
None are large companies with large budgets.

Quality Chinese clones today are made in very large state of the art factories with top of the line milling equipment subsidized by goverment funding.

Thats the reality of producing mechs.

This is also why some clones today are better made than authentics.

Reactions: MMW

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
I can't say about mechs but I can discuss clones verses authentic pieces - at least where concerns RTA's.

1:1 clones come out almost as fast as the authentics. The Chinese have r&d theft down pat, and they sell their clones at pennies on the dollar.

Once something goes from New to used, it looses some value, so unless you get the authentic on sale, you will probably loose a little money on the piece, maybe not much but some, in the event you don't enjoy the piece and need to resell it. Plus, you have the hassle of selling..

If I buy a 1:1 clone, it's to try a piece out and see how I like it.. if I like the clone, I will purchase the authentic, because the authentic is usually better made, better quality, so what I enjoyed about the clone, that enjoyment will only increase with the authentic.

If you don't like the piece and it's a clone you've invested in, your out 20 bucks and have something for another person to try out without the hassle of resale. If you like it.. hey buy authentic and have a back up of something you like.. it's a win win.

I can't imagine mech mods being any different, if your buying a 1:1 clone.. if it's not an actual 1:1 clone, I wouldn't invest personally, because you then have no idea if you would even like the authentic. But that's just me..
Excellent, exactly how i buy Mechs,,72 clones 25 authentics, About..

Reactions: Kprthevapr

CoreyDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham, UK

^^^This^^^

I'm in a similar position, but only one two! I have an Authentic Kennedy 24 Ruby and a Rogue Clone... honestly, I prefer the clone! It cost over 1/6 less than the Kennedy, prefer the button and I'm more willing to take it out and about as if I lose it or damage it, no big deal.

The Kennedy us a stunning looking piece of kit (Went for Steel) but, to actually use as a vape, I'll take my Rogue Clone.

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
I got some of the authentic mods I wanted as authentic
This is what I wanted as authentic and got
7de7893ba383b016e8c4ce1390230a57.jpg

d5db54c76304c0e3c57815af7c44d26a.jpg

5919ee5c3db4fb19e0b22893eacba9ac.jpg

92f5fb681c890f706812b6caff52354d.jpg

662d3f8b2a654abc9f72877ce60cd814.jpg

Left on my hit list is
mcv cherry bomber "will prob end up with clone if I can find a clone brass"
Mcv raptor brass or copper
And mcv panzer copper

I'm going to get clones of
TK and able brass
G2 raptor when brass or copper comes out
nemesis brass and copper
Then look around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Here's the catch:
Most authentics are made by a small crew or a couple machinists in a small independent shop on equipment they can afford.
None are large companies with large budgets.

Quality Chinese clones today are made in very large state of the art factories with top of the line milling equipment subsidized by goverment funding.

Thats the reality of producing mechs.

This is also why some clones today are better made than authentics.
It all depends, Clones are the very hit and miss. You can get a fair Clone, be happy with it and order another that turns out to be a a complete piece of $41t. I've found that Clones of Chinese gear generally is very close to the Authentic, not so much with Clones of Filipino, USA, etc gear. It's just not the quality of machining it's also materials used.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: nalo_b

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I got some of the authentic mods I wanted as authentic
This is what I wanted as authentic and got
7de7893ba383b016e8c4ce1390230a57.jpg

d5db54c76304c0e3c57815af7c44d26a.jpg

5919ee5c3db4fb19e0b22893eacba9ac.jpg

92f5fb681c890f706812b6caff52354d.jpg

662d3f8b2a654abc9f72877ce60cd814.jpg

Left on my hit list is
mcv cherry bomber "will prob end up with clone if I can find a clone brass"
Mcv raptor brass or copper
And mcv panzer copper

I'm going to get clones of
TK and able brass
G2 raptor when brass or copper comes out
nemesis brass and copper
Then look around

FYI, I have the cherry bomber clone and after 2-3 hits the spring lost its springiness so I ended up getting a set of replacement magnets to go in it in place of the spring. I would say get the magnets so when the spring is shot you can replace with magnets and not have to worry about the slings.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
It all depends, Clones are the very hit and miss. You can get a fair Clone, be happy with it and order another that turns out to be a a complete piece of $41t. I've found that Clones of Chinese gear generally is very close to the Authentic, not so much with Clones of Filipino, USA, etc gear. It's just not the quality of machining it's also materials used.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Well many authentics are also hit and miss. Ask any SuperT owners.

As far as the "Materials used" myth, its just that. A myth.

None of the metals used are expensive or cost prohibitive, and China has access to more raw metals than any other country on earth.

Just another myth.

Yes, some authentics are made better than their clones, but making a generalization that are better made would be a mistake.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
Think of close as generic brand grocery items. Some are great, just as good as the name brands, some are okay, but the name brand is better and, some are not worth even a penny for them. Same with cloned hardware. I have some that are just as good as the originals, a few that are okay, but not as good and, have trashed some that weren't worth the time it took to order them, much less the money.

Reactions: r055co
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread