I am both excited and terrified. Now that I have VV/VW what do I do with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdebrecht

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
So I am a proud owner of a new iTaste mvp v. 2. It's so cool! But I have absolutely no idea what to do now...

Just what is all this VV/VW stuff for? Am I going to break this thing if I use it wrong? Am I going to kill all my coils? Will I vaporize my dog if he gets too close and I have it set wrong?

I feel like I am switching from a rotary dial landline to the iPhone. I mean I know how to dial a phone number but beyond that I have no flipping idea lol.

HELP! Can someone please give me a newbie primer? Thank you!

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
Haha - well, if you're like me, you never touch the vv/vw and just leave it at the original setting. :)

Seriously, I'm no help. I have only one vv/vw device and rarely change anything. Every once in a while, I flip through different settings but I really don't taste any difference. (I guess I have an unrefined palate or something.) But that's fine. The thing I like about regulated devices is that the voltage will remain constant as the battery loses power instead of gradually dropping.

Good luck. I'm sure someone will come around that actually knows what they're talking about.

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
Dang it all... bummer... I'm still a huff-un and a puff-un with a couple of old 1300maH vision spinners an vivi mini dodads
Feels like I'm back in the dark ages seeing all the Mod stuffs out there... sure makes a fellar jealous.. :glare:

Oh no, a 1300mah spinner qualifies for at least the Middle Ages :p ... The original Joyetech Ego 450mah batt with a 510 atty, polyfill plastic carto, and cone .. now that is the Dark ages, lol.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I vaped for several months with a 650mAh eGo, before I got a Twist and even then variable voltage was lost on me. The point of VV and VW is to be able to adjust the power output of the device, which changes the temperature the liquid is vaporized that affects the taste, and to a lessor extent throat hit and vapor production. Unfortunately, I could barely taste anything, so the benefit was lost on me. Slowly I came around and now I can taste how some juices are more flavorful at lower temperatures and some at higher.

I'm currently writing a blog explaining variable power as simply as possible, so if you would like more in-depth information let me know. It's too long to post.

Last edited:

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
no.... lol... you are going to be just fine :toast:

there isn't really any risk involved... but:

It's a good idea to start with a low voltage/wattage when trying out a new atomizer/cartomizer
and then adjust upwards to find your sweet spot to avoid any burnt taste.
I'll second that. I always dial down to the minimum when I swap devices, then bump up until I find my sweet spot.

GregoTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lewisville, TX
I recommend using the VW option...start with 7 watts and go from there. I like the VW because it automatically adjusts the voltage based on the ohms in your coil. Using VV, you have to adjust the voltage based on the coil resistance. I have the iTaste 134 and have mine set at 7.0 watts, which for me is perfect. Set it, and forget it! Produces a nice throat hit and clouds of vapor with my 60/40 juice...er...liquid, and I don't have to factor in the resistance of my coils. :vapor:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Oh no, a 1300mah spinner qualifies for at least the Middle Ages :p ... The original Joyetech Ego 450mah batt with a 510 atty, polyfill plastic carto, and cone .. now that is the Dark ages, lol.

As long as what you have is working for you, you don't really need to jump up to a mod in a hurry, although you might consider a Twist, Spinner or other inexpensive device (I'm not up to speed with all the new ones) to get your feet wet in the vv world. The Twist and Spinner will work with the charger and any juice toppers you already have. I got my first "advance" mod to celebrate 6 months tobacco-free. During the proceeding 6 months I learned about top coils, bottom coils, carto tanks, dripping, etc. By the time I was shopping for a mod, I had a very good idea of what I wanted.

You can also vary the wattage of the device you are currently using by changing the resistance of the devices you screw onto it. The range isn't as broad as with a vv/vw device, but it will be noticeable. One of my favorite mods is an unregulated little box mod that I use as much, if not more, than my ProVari (it's a bottom-feeder).

Jayvaps

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
South Florida
when you get a new juice, start out on low wattage, and raise it slowly every so often and see if the taste changes. go up and down to find the 'sweet spot' you like the flavor at. Remember that setting. Adjust to that setting when using that juice. Done.

If you are using voltage instead of wattage, you need to adjust the voltage to match the resistance of the device you are using to get to the wattage the juice tastes best at, so it is just easier to use wattage instead of voltage.

Or do like me. Play with it for a few days, set it at 7 watts and forget it. lol

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Well, I am a lady, and I am blonde, and not a math freak *grins* - let me try to explain it the way I understand it and the way I use it.

Variable voltage allows you to "feed" some higher voltage to your vaporizer. This causes more vapor and thus, is more satisfying. (Once I got used to that, I was no longer content with those batteries that deliver only 3.2 volts).

Start on the low voltage, like 3.2 volts. Then turn up the dial / twisting thing slowly (!). Vape a little with that, see how you like it. If you notice no difference at all, turn it up like 0.2 volts higher, and vape a little with that. And so on until you are satisfied with the output. That is what is meant by "finding your sweet spot" for that particular vaporizer. - And yes, it does make a difference. And it is very pleasant.

Caution:
do turn it up slowly please. Turning it up too fast can cause a burnt taste (very yucky), and turning it up much too fast / much too high can break the vaporizer (burn out the heating coil, no outside "breaking" visible. It is just "broken" then = no longer works)

Please excuse if I talk funny. All my vaping vocabulary is in German. :)

In Germany, we work with "rule of thumb" for the non-technically minded, for different vaporizers:

eGo goes up to about 3.7 volts
IMIST works well around 4 volts.
Vivi Nova (1.8 ohm head) works well at about 4 - 4.4 volts

This is all not rocket science :) And if you turn up the volts carefully, you will find your sweet spot in no time.

Happy Vaping!

Edit:
About that Watt stuff, I have no idea, and I am not going to mess with it.
I was given the "rule of thumb" about the volts for different vaporizers over a year ago, when I bought my first VV batteries (the eGo Twist), and that works well for me. No idea about Watt, except for that there is some mathematical formula involved.
Nawww.. can't teach an old dog new tricks ;)

Last edited:

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
As long as what you have is working for you, you don't really need to jump up to a mod in a hurry, although you might consider a Twist, Spinner or other inexpensive device (I'm not up to speed with all the new ones) to get your feet wet in the vv world. The Twist and Spinner will work with the charger and any juice toppers you already have. I got my first "advance" mod to celebrate 6 months tobacco-free. During the proceeding 6 months I learned about top coils, bottom coils, carto tanks, dripping, etc. By the time I was shopping for a mod, I had a very good idea of what I wanted.

You can also vary the wattage of the device you are currently using by changing the resistance of the devices you screw onto it. The range isn't as broad as with a vv/vw device, but it will be noticeable. One of my favorite mods is an unregulated little box mod that I use as much, if not more, than my ProVari (it's a bottom-feeder).

Oh I have already moved into the world of VV/VW,Ego Twists, and glassomizers ... I was just poking a little fun at old set ups( I actually hated my first Ego kit) . But I agree with you in that if ain't broke, there is no need to fix it. I think it is silly to try and keep up with trend, unless said trends offer some additional benefits.

I was plenty happy with my cartomizers and Ego T batts for a long time, but eventually I wanted more from my vaping/tasting experience, and VV/VW give you that ... but answer me this if you can, do mech mods offer something that VV mods do not?

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
What ever you do dont use it backwards or!
800px-Mushroom-Cloud.jpg

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Oh I have already moved into the world of VV/VW,Ego Twists, and glassomizers ... I was just poking a little fun at old set ups( I actually hated my first Ego kit) . But I agree with you in that if ain't broke, there is no need to fix it. I think it is silly to try and keep up with trend, unless said trends offer some additional benefits.

I was plenty happy with my cartomizers and Ego T batts for a long time, but eventually I wanted more from my vaping/tasting experience, and VV/VW give you that ... but answer me this if you can, do mech mods offer something that VV mods do not?

Yea VV mods have a amp limit so you wont fry it. Mech mods you can push the limits as long as you take some time and know how to use your battery's safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread