I am making a new juice calculator (this one is different), I would love your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Please follow my blog for the latest updates! I will be following this page, but my blog will be the main place I will post updates. JuiceMaster Development

Hey everybody,

I have recently made the transition from Windows to Linux, on all of my systems. As far as I know, there is no real calculator available on Linux.

So.. I have decided to make a new calculator, but my calculator will be cross platform. That means that it runs on Windows, Linux, Apple, Android and iOS (and most likely a web-app in the future).

I have decided to call it JuiceMaster. I have greater imaginations with my application, such as cloud syncing recipes beween devices/platforms, but that is a plan for the future.

My application will be released for free, and will be open source for Linux users.

JuiceMaster is still in very early development, and this is the time for your ideas and opinions. I want to develop the calculator that is invented by the community, not by me!

I am very well aware that there are plenty of good calculators out there that are web-based and thus cross platform, but I want to make a dedicated application that is not relying on browsers and web-agents.

There are a couple of questions I have right off the bat.

1. Do you want a calculator based on drops, on % or both?
2. Is 10 different flavourings enough for a single recipe?
More to be added.

I would absolutely LOVE your input, together we can make this application pop! If you have any other or offtopic feedback, please do not hesitate to contact me as well. You can contact me via MAIL or via telegram @ivohulsman

This is the developement so far, to give you an idea of the structure of the application. Of course this is NOT a final build, and is extremely subject to changes!
hFeJJ2F.png

Last edited:

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
I would recommend you need to add drops, percentage AND grams to cater to everyone. I use my own spreadsheet i've made, but yes, on linux there's only online calcs and scubabatdan's xml calc I believe(atleast for grams) stickied in this subforum(you can get all calculation logic needed from that btw, to not need reinvent the wheel).

What GUI toolkit are you using to make it with and what language in general? I personally think it will be hard to compete with hotrod's recipe calculator(or what it's called) stickied here and ejuiceme-up on windows, but as you said, crossplatform is something new to be able to offer.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
I would recommend you need to add drops, percentage AND grams to cater to everyone. I use my own spreadsheet i've made, but yes, on linux there's only online calcs and scubabatdan's xml calc I believe(atleast for grams) stickied in this subforum(you can get all calculation logic needed from that btw, to not need reinvent the wheel).

What GUI toolkit are you using to make it with? I personally think it will be hard to compete with the recipe calculator(or what it's called) stickied here and ejuice-meup, but as you said, crossplatform is something new to be able to offer.

Good luck :)
Thank you very much for your reply, I will work on adding drops and grams calculation. I am not trying to compete with any other calculators out there. I am only trying to make a calculator based on everyone's opinions and ideas, to potentially make the most rugged calculator on earth. (I know I sound passionate, that's because I am haha.)

I am using Qt, which is cross platform written in C++.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I agree %, Drops and grams is a must. As well as:
Save function
notes section
Material cost calculations, very few calcs have this and the ones that do are missing other vital components so this would make yours unique.
Cross platform would be a big plus as well as a mobile device component.
tools such as NIC combining function, Flavor combining function, PV tuning etc...
Flavoring zero out for alcohol flavoring.
dilution compensation field (For those high VG mixes)

I agree %, Drops and grams is a must. As well as:
Save function
notes section
Material cost calculations, very few calcs have this and the ones that do are missing other vital components so this would make yours unique.
Cross platform would be a big plus as well as a mobile device component.
tools such as NIC combining function, Flavor combining function, PV tuning etc...
Flavoring zero out for alcohol flavoring.
dilution compensation field (For those high VG mixes)
I have added those functions to the to do list, thank you so much for your input!

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
As you're making this open source, a few suggestions.

Do NOT make this distro centric. Bear in mind that different distributions have different packaging methods and installation methods are going to differ from one distro to the next. As such, ensuring that the source files are available for individual compilation is going to be critical for success.

Make sure your dependency list is complete. Nothing irritates me more than reading a README file, installing the required dependencies for the program, and the compile still bombs due to a dependency that was not listed. Especially if the dependency is for something that's not in the repository. That REALLY chaps my hide.

And last, but not least. Make sure your documentation is complete. I generally don't mind figuring minor things out, but when I install something and it bombs the first time I use it, I look for issue resolution in the documentation first. If I have to go digging in the system logs in an attempt to find out why something isn't working right, there's a good chance I'm going to be ripping the program out by the roots if I have to dig too deeply.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
If you are doing grams, I would recommend a control box per ingredient (this is how I attacked the problem). Since liquids vary in density it will affect their weight. So you could add the default weight for VG, PG, flavoring etc and let the user manually change it if it is different for their ingredient due to mixture, altitude or pressure density.
You can also add drop per ml as a control source as not all liquids drops are the same, and using a different size orifice from different bottles/syringes will result in different drops/ml.

If you need to use any calculations, just grab my v14 calc (in my sig) and feel free to use as needed.
Good luck!
Dan

Reactions: IDJoel
What I would like to see is an inventory report. You can list all of the components you have with the quantity in ML's and the calculator keeps track of how much you have left after each batch you make. Plus the system could warn you when you are low and make a shopping list for you.
Noted! Thanks for your input.

I'll echo the request for gram. Also, it's exciting to have a calculator available for iPad. Save the trouble of printing to PDF and sending to Kindle.

Good luck!
Grams calculations are planned for the first release ;)

As you're making this open source, a few suggestions.

Do NOT make this distro centric. Bear in mind that different distributions have different packaging methods and installation methods are going to differ from one distro to the next. As such, ensuring that the source files are available for individual compilation is going to be critical for success.

Make sure your dependency list is complete. Nothing irritates me more than reading a README file, installing the required dependencies for the program, and the compile still bombs due to a dependency that was not listed. Especially if the dependency is for something that's not in the repository. That REALLY chaps my hide.

And last, but not least. Make sure your documentation is complete. I generally don't mind figuring minor things out, but when I install something and it bombs the first time I use it, I look for issue resolution in the documentation first. If I have to go digging in the system logs in an attempt to find out why something isn't working right, there's a good chance I'm going to be ripping the program out by the roots if I have to dig too deeply.
I absolutely agree to everything you said. I will make sure that it is not distro centric, as I am aiming for the best cross platform compatibility. I plan on using no external deps at all (as of yet, that is still possible, I am not able to guarantee that if advanced features get added in the future). I also truly hate it when there is poor documentation for an application, so I will make sure that the documentation is top notch. Thank you so much for your input, it's good to see a vaper using Linux ;)

If you are doing grams, I would recommend a control box per ingredient (this is how I attacked the problem). Since liquids vary in density it will affect their weight. So you could add the default weight for VG, PG, flavoring etc and let the user manually change it if it is different for their ingredient due to mixture, altitude or pressure density.
You can also add drop per ml as a control source as not all liquids drops are the same, and using a different size orifice from different bottles/syringes will result in different drops/ml.

If you need to use any calculations, just grab my v14 calc (in my sig) and feel free to use as needed.
Good luck!
Dan
Thank you so much for your input! I feel truly honoured that I may use your calculations, that will help me greatly! (Please remind me to credit you if I forget)

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Thank you so much for your input! I feel truly honoured that I may use your calculations, that will help me greatly! (Please remind me to credit you if I forget)

No problem, it is all about community and what is good/helps it.
Hope it goes well!
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread