I am now officailly one of you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catanonia

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
UK
extraview.dnsalias.com
I'm curious how people's transitions to esmoking from analog smoking went for them? Is it an easy move? or did you slowly move over to esmoking from smoking? Basically what I'm wondering is, is this transition one where you were able to throw down your smokes and instantly switch over to your ecig, or was it a slow transition?

Yes threw down with 18mg high strength and only had 2 analogs in 1st 2 days when I messed up charging, atomizers etc.

Now 1 week later, not touch real things, smelly horrid things for about 3 days.

Tell yaself, no more.

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
1 full day without a analog

That's something to sing about!!!
cool-smiley-026.gif

Today is my first full day with my e-cig and this is my first post to this forum. I like lists :) so here goes.

1. I've been through a few careers, but for the last 10 years I've been a computer analyst, so the whole concept of replacing stinky 'analog' cigs (as the users of this forum like to call them) with odorless 'digital' e-cigs appeals to my geeky side.

2. I'm very glad I found this forum...I'm too cheap for real therapy, so I'm going to 'dump' on y'all here if that's ok? LOL!!

3. I've tried patches (my girlfriend HATES my smoking habit, so use these when we travel), but the most satisfying smoking-alternative device was something a former girlfriend gave me. She is now a retired nurse and sent me a couple sample boxes of Nicotrol Inhalers (company: McNeil?). This thing has what I can only describe as something resembling a plastic cigarette or cigar holder, but instead of sticking a cigarette or cigar in the end, you open it and stick a little nicotine cartidge in it. It has some menthol, so when you inhale it 'feels' like you're dragging on something, but no 'smoke' (vapor). I have NEVER seen these in stores..."prescription-only" according to the box. Anyway, long story short, I liked these and used them occasionally to help with my hand-to-mouth fixation...frequently supplemented with nicotine patches. Nothing has cured my 40 year tobacco habit yet, but I'm pretty optimistic about the e-cig. Wish me luck.

4. My smoking habit is kind of like this: I am basically a 'closet-smoker'...rarely smoke around friends, don't like to smoke indoors (I really hate smoke, which is why some of my closest non-smoking friends have always wondered how I ever acquired the habit...er...addiction?). At home I go out to the garage to smoke in the winter...outdoors in the summer (it's cold as h*ll in ND in the winter in case you've never been here). I have a little kerosene fan-forced heater I fire up in the garage and have my chair, table and ash tray...bring out my cup of coffee in the morning for those first couple of cigs...sounds pretty sick so far, eh? As if the poison from the cigs isn't enough, I'm probably inhaling all sorts of toxic stuff from that kerosene heater too. I never smoke at work...weird, but I can work all morning and not even think about smoking, but when lunch time comes it's like a race to the car to fire up a cigarette. So my car stinks like my garage. So, bottom line is I'm a smoke-a-holic but I don't want to be. I've always said I only have two vices: (1) I smoke, (2) I'm in total denial of all my other vices. LOL!! :D

4. So what made me buy the e-cig kit? I've been hearing more and more about them recently and, as is typical around the first of each year, I think about 'resolutions' that include kicking the smoking habit, and as is also typical, I do nothing about them. However, I just missed several days of work last week with one of the worst sinus colds I've ever had in my life and even through that, I had to 'sneak' out to the garage a few times a day and torture my poor sinus membranes with a smoke. Now, that's bad! Last night I got in the car to run a few errands and the last errand was to stop at the neighborhood gas station/convenience market to get my lottery ticket. The young guy who waits on me frequently asked if I needed cigarettes. I told him I bought a carton last weekend so didn't need any (I never buy cartons...always one or two packs at a time like they're going to be my last pack...been doing that for about 30 years now...). Then I mentioned to him I'd been hearing and seeing ads recently about e-cigs. I no sooner got the words out of my mouth than he pointed behind the counter to their display. We talked...he showed me some literature on them...the price list, etc., and I left thanking him for the info, appreciating the fact that my neighborhood gas station had them and I could buy them when I was 'ready' to take the plunge. I went back to my car, reached for a cigarette, put it back down in the console, walked back in the station and said, "Gimme one of those kits and a box of 5 cartidges". We had a good laugh, I walked out, opened it, started reading the info in the kit, got on my cell phone and called the girl friend, excited about my new purchase.

So...as I said, today is my first full day trying to make the switch. So far, so good. My observations so far:

1. The 'tobacco' flavor doesn't exactly taste like cigarette tobacco, which is ok. I hate the taste of cigarette tobacco. I swear I must smoke because I have a death wish or something. Besides, I'll get used to the taste. I'm in it for the nicotine and NO TAR, carbon monoxide, etc.

2. I'm looking for a case to carry two e-cigs and a couple of extra cartridges and the brand I bought wants $29.95 for a little designer case in 5 different designer colors. I'm tempted to go buy a box of Marlboro 100's, throw out the cigarettes, and just use the box! LOL!! Any tips or ideas are appreciated.

3. I STILL feel the urge to go to the garage, turn on the kerosene heater, and smoke my e-cig with a cup of coffee!! Isn't it weird how habits/addictions work? Glad I can laugh about it...hope you can too.

Again, I'm very glad to have found this forum...the messages I've read so far seem to make me believe there are a lot of people here with perhaps a lot of different reasons, but everyone seems nice and the forum seems to be well monitored. I won't be leaving long messages like this again, but will be reading often and commenting occasionally. In another life I actually had an addition to forums on Compuserve, but that's another story :)

Best wishes to all...

Calaban

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Newmarket, NH USA
I'm curious how people's transitions to esmoking from analog smoking went for them? Is it an easy move? or did you slowly move over to esmoking from smoking? Basically what I'm wondering is, is this transition one where you were able to throw down your smokes and instantly switch over to your ecig, or was it a slow transition?

It was immediate for me. Effortless. I went from 20 cigarettes per day to zero, instantly.

39 days and counting :D

Good luck to you!!

Calaban

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
Newmarket, NH USA
Welcome to the forum Billy....and welcome to e-cigs!
Congrats on making the switch....I think you'll be happy.

1. The 'tobacco' flavor doesn't exactly taste like cigarette tobacco, which is ok. I hate the taste of cigarette tobacco. I swear I must smoke because I have a death wish or something. Besides, I'll get used to the taste. I'm in it for the nicotine and NO TAR, carbon monoxide, etc.

No, they have not yet perfected 'tobacco' flavored liquid. I also hate the taste of real cigarettes, but for some reason I still want them to concoct a realistic tobacco flavor eventually. Yes, addiction is bizarre! But I have a feeling if they ever do recreate the tobacco taste convincingly, I will probably think it's gross and just stick with the poor imitations I am using now.

About 2 days after I got my first e-cig, both my batteries went dead at the same time. I still had half a pack of Camel Lights laying around so I figured I'd have one while I waited for my batteries to charge. After 4 drags I threw it out in disgust. It tasted horrible. My e-cig tastes so much better, despite the fact that the 'tobacco' flavor isn't quite accurate.

I think you are in it for the right reasons and you will find your e-cig to be a great replacement for analogs.

Good luck to you!!

-Calaban

Last edited:

Idahojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Bonners Ferry, ID
I did both at first. I had to wait till my supplies could handle my heavy smoking habit and I did have some withdrawal issues from analogs at first. But the ecigs definitely helped. Once I decided tho I was done! In fact I still have 2 unopened packs of analogs that I kept for about 10 days and then gave them away. You know yourself better than anyone. Do it so it's the most comfortable for you and then your chances of success are much greater. I've been analog free now since St Patrick's Day! Don't plan on going back either.

PSS Congrats to MarcB!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread