I call it ADP Mod.. Auto Drip Mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

waywardsister

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Toronto, ON
Tried this on my 801's this morning. Tried the spring both ways, horizontally and vertically, and both ways seem to work really well. Can't tell how the taste is compared to dripping, because I have a cold :) But this is great, esp. for the huge 801 carts! The poly does compress a little after a while, but this is usual...might try those buff puffs, or a PTB since I have a whole box now.

This is so simple, and so brilliant! makes you wonder why carts weren't designed like this in the first place, with a reservior at the bottom and a plug at the top.

Thornbyrd

Feb 18, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I'm so glad to find this mod. Can't wait to try it out!!!

Bought my first e-cig a week ago and I've been struggling with the switch from analog to digital. The problems been I actually prefer the vap - analogs taste like crap now but I've been getting so frustrated with how to keep a good drip from my cartridge. I've tried several different varieties of the PTB but still seem to have to top off constantly and it seems that the juice is just sitting at the top of the cartridge.

This mod seems simple and mechanically brillant. Damn no I have to go buy a click pen or 3- lol.

Thanks for the idea, I'm reall excited!!

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
Just curious...for anyone who has been using this for a while... are you getting any metallic taste in your vape?? I'm just asking because I tried the 'screen mod' a while back and it worked great for a while. Then after about a week, it started tasting like sucking on an old penny. Took forever to get that taste out of my atty :(

I was using a straw to hold up the filler for a while, then realized it was unnecessary and just taking up valuable juice realestate. ;)

SCOTTYBALLS

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Greenville, S.C.
Just curious...for anyone who has been using this for a while... are you getting any metallic taste in your vape?? I'm just asking because I tried the 'screen mod' a while back and it worked great for a while. Then after about a week, it started tasting like sucking on an old penny. Took forever to get that taste out of my atty :(

I was using a straw to hold up the filler for a while, then realized it was unnecessary and just taking up valuable juice realestate. ;)

You need to find some stainless steel springs or go back to the straw.. the straw really dont take up much space maybe a drop..

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Just curious...for anyone who has been using this for a while... are you getting any metallic taste in your vape?? I'm just asking because I tried the 'screen mod' a while back and it worked great for a while. Then after about a week, it started tasting like sucking on an old penny. Took forever to get that taste out of my atty.
I'm using the stainless steel springs shown in post 431 of this thread.
No metal taste at all, and the springs still look brand spanking new.

markrm

Feb 7, 2010
London
Only been vaping for just over a week now and after a few days was looking into a mod as a fresh top up tasted great but after a few hits, flavour was very low due to top of filler not wet enough but lots of juice left in bottom of cart.
I guess thats the reason for many dripping instead of topping off as the liquid in the bottom of the cart is redundant.

I was thinking of a similar idea to meatballs until I searched out this thread and I have to say, like others that it works very very well and the hits just keep on comin! :lol:

As siad, I think the standard design of a cart is flawed.
It works well to hold the juice in, but not so good at delivering it to the attie.

A reservoir of juice, with just enough filler to stop leaking is the way forward without a doubt. It will always stay saturated at the attie and give a good draw every time, with maybe the exeption if the user were laying on their back :p

A cart with a small horizontal shelf or slats integral with the cart placed in the same position as the spring mod would secure the filler from dropping down the cart and would maximise the amount of liquid a cart would hold.

It is such a simple design that it would cost no more for companies to produce them either :cool:

The other method with the pop off cap is the same principle and would be slightly more simple to refill as there would be no messing around with the filler as it would be part of the cap.

Anyhow, Scottyballs, simple yet brilliant design. Brilliant because its simple, and brilliant because it works :D

Get a patent on this now lol

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
A cart with a small horizontal shelf or slats integral with the cart placed in the same position as the spring mod would secure the filler from dropping down the cart and would maximise the amount of liquid a cart would hold.

It is such a simple design that it would cost no more for companies to produce them either.
That's what I've been hoping for.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
You need to find some stainless steel springs or go back to the straw.. the straw really dont take up much space maybe a drop..

Yeah, the metallic taste I was getting was from the "screen mod" not your spring mod, but I was using a stainless screen when I did it.
Like I said before though, the spring is unnecessary, same mod minus the spring works just the same.
Thanks for this thread though scottyballs. It's what inspired my (simpler) cart mod a few months ago. :thumb:

CadillacmanATL

Jan 14, 2010
gerogia
i'll huff and i'll puff and I'll suck the cart dry!! this is the FIRST mod that i have been able to use with an 801 that didn't leak horribly...i tried the dart, the straw, the blue foam, the ptb, the plug and nothing worked for me...i had completely given up on using an 801 completely...they have been sitting in a box for almost 2 months...i went to 501 then 901 and then cartos...i like the 801 because of the size of the carts and not needing to fill them as often...i have pretty much be strictly using cartos because i felt they gave more bang for the buck as far as ease of refill and leak issues...it has been hit and miss with the 501 and 901 and this is the end all for me!!! thank you so much for posting this idea...i has ended a long time bout of frustration for me to get this things to work to the best of their ability!

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Since Scottyballs first posted this mod, this one remains my favorite. Indeed, it is the only one I use now. Been using the same one for weeks now, no maintenance, no leaks, cart drains fully, every hit optimal.

I generally use a syringe to fill the cart, but I recently found that one can simply use a dropper bottle. What I do is add one drop, which will often make a bubble over the hole. I touch the bubble with a finger, breaking it. The Si plug is now "primed" and all subsequent drops, if added just to the side of the hole, will just go right on in.

The 510 atty is very happily operating perfectly now. Between scottball's mod at one end, and the Bartleby on the other end, its in heaven! :thumbs:

pm2006

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2010
S.E. Michigan
I've actually been thinking of something similar, but couldn't figure out what to use to keep the filler material from getting pushed down into the cart. The spring isn't a bad idea at all, though I'm not sure that the shape or material is ideal.

Ideally I think a piece of extremely coarse/porous filter material would be ideal to fill the majority of the cart - especially if it could be permanently bonded to the thin layer of filter that would touch the bridge.

cart.gif
Something like:

Aquaclear. An extremely coarse/porous aquarium filter material. I bought a box for $1.68 that will last for a year. I fill my 401 cart one drip from the top . . . cut a piece of this material just a little wider than the cart in a cube shape (1/4" x 1/4") approximately . . . twisted it into the cart . . . . then topped with one more drop. It seems to take up no room and doesn't leak. When I buy blank carts, I immediately remove the polyfill and only use this now. I don't like refilling anymore than I have to and I hate leaks.

Pegasus7

Jan 27, 2010
Oklahoma
Bravo!
Scottyballs you ROCK!
Finally did this and it is the best Mod out there with little to none on the effort. the only I did different was turn the spring long ways to the 501s reservoir one spring, brass or bronze coated, cut in 3 sections for 3 e-cigs.
Again this is the greatest lasted all day without refill for 3 e-cigs!
Good Job!:thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread