I cant get the hang of this help me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan diy

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2017
Ive been rta ing for a couple of months now i have an obs engine.. but the coils get burnt every week or so, and i dont seem to be enjoying the vape as well as i did with drop ins... i was wondering if anyone can think if theres something obvious that im missing? This is to much of a hassle allready for me..
Would love some feedback.
Thx

Reactions: stols001

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
I like the whole idea of rtas and own a few. But I've always got better flavor with rdas and less hassle with drop in tanks. My only suggestion to prolong your cotton would be to vape it dry. Constantly soaked cotton jells up and gets thicker then cruds your coils faster. I vape till the flavors gone but not burnt and my cotton stays white for a long time.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
Sounds like it could possibly be a wicking issue. Gets dry and gets burnt. There is a learning curve to these kind of tanks. The engine nano is my fav but its single coil. Same wicking thou. I know you have heard it before but youtube can be a lot of help on this. Best thing I learned was to not push the cotton down into the wicking holes. Just let it sit kind of over them

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Sounds like it could possibly be a wicking issue. Gets dry and gets burnt. There is a learning curve to these kind of tanks. The engine nano is my fav but its single coil. Same wicking thou. I know you have heard it before but youtube can be a lot of help on this. Best thing I learned was to not push the cotton down into the wicking holes. Just let it sit kind of over them
I was going to suggest the same thing. I just slightly push the cotton into the wicking holes. Also make sure you're not using too much cotton. If I use an RTA I grab my Engine.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I have an Engine Nano. I really like it. You say you're vaping at 40W - what's the resistance of your build? Cotton needs to be relatively loose in the coil(s). I wick with rayon, and I do tuck the tails in the wicking holes.

You might just have to play with it. Hang in there.

Also, what kind of juice are you vaping. A week on a coil isn't that bad. Just pull the wick and do a light dry-burn to get the gunk off the coil. I've just cleaned and rewicked about 8 tanks and RDAs this evening. Depending on builds and juice, I have to maintain some toppers more often than others.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Coils will gunk up no matter what wicking material you use, but cotton is inferior to rayon. I was a cotton wick guy for years before trying rayon. There's a small learning curve with rayon, but all you have to do is make the wick tight enough that you have to twist it to get it through the coil and the vape will be fine. Trim the tails after you get it through the coil to make the tails the width of the coil. Cut the wick to length so that it just touches the deck. Rayon wicks better, so less width is more on the part that contacts the coil deck.

I used to replace cotton wicks every 3 days. Rayon lasts a long time, but you still have to dry burn the coil to get the juice crud off. That's when I change a rayon wick (about once a week). When I take the wick out and wash it it's still clean, but once it's out I just rewick.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ive been rta ing for a couple of months now i have an obs engine.. but the coils get burnt every week or so, and i dont seem to be enjoying the vape as well as i did with drop ins... i was wondering if anyone can think if theres something obvious that im missing? This is to much of a hassle allready for me..
Would love some feedback.
Thx

Life span of a Coil is hard to Evaluate when measured in Time.

Because a week of Vaping at 15W where you use a total of 10ml is a whole lot Different than a week vaping at 40W where you use 60ml.

There is also the issue of How Heavily Flavored/Sweetened you e-Liquid Is or Isn't.

If I used an RTA all day long, I would go thru about 4 ~ 6ml's per day using 15 ~ 17.5 watts. If I got a week out of a Coil, I would be Happy.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I didn't get much "joy" from cotton personally, I much prefer rayon. It's a more forgiving wick in many builds, I have found. Cotton swells when wet, which can make wicking more complicated. Rayon shrinks when wet, which plays to my strengths (overstuffing the coil). With rayon you want things tight in the coil but to do a fair amount of trimming and thinning of wicks. It withstands heat better and is a longer lasting wick, so you may find it useful.

You know you can dry burn your coils (as long as they're not titanium or nickel you don't want to dry burn those metals) but otherwise, you can remove your wick, do whatever combination of dry burning/ coil cleaning and be able to continue using your coil usually. So you may be tossing coils before you need to.

I will say, there is a long thread on rayon if you are interested, although you don't have to read the whole thing, but those folks solved ALL my wicking problems with like 3 or 4 posts in answer to my questions. I'm so glad I found rayon and it's all I use.

It is possible that your build isn't quite what you need for satisfaction and it's certainly true that no one RTA is for everyone. I might continue playing with wicks and coils a bit, to see if you can get something more satisfactory going for you. If it really just isn't working, you could try an RTA, or even just a different RBA, and see if your experience is different.

Personally, I find single builds easier than dual coils (and experimenting is far easier when you are only dealing with one variable) so if things remain not so good, you could consider trying another atomizer of some sort, but I would continue to experiment for a bit.

Some folks just prefer drop in coils for convenience and etc., but I think you are new enough to rebuildables so I wouldn't give up quite yet. They can be fantastic when built and wicked right. If I had stopped with my FIRST RTA (tiny, dual coil MTL deck) I doubt I would have had success with rebuilding in the end.

Best of luck, Ethan :)

Anna

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
True certain tanks/RDA's are not for everyone. I personally love my Engine and use it religiously. I have also read all the threads that people are having trouble with or hate it.

Have you tried using SS316L for a coil(if you have forget this) because that is what I use in mine 6 wraps and I get an intense warm flavorful vape. If you find you still do not like the tank,look for something else f you feel it will not suit your vape style.

EDIT: As far as going thru coils. No matter what coil you use (material)you will have to rebuild at some extent due to being gunked up from sweeteners in the juice. I rebuild once a week with mine due to the flavor dropping off,and sometimes twice a week if I use a sweetened juice. That is part of what comes with building,you either love this part of it,or you hate it.
I think the part of rebuilding instead of just dropping in a coil might be causing you some hessitation with this??

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um... what wattages are you using if the coil is actually breaking? And what type of wire? You may, as was said, need a thicker gauge of wire, I have burned very thin prewrapped coils that I use for some of my (MTL low wattage tanks) by accidentally turning up the wattage to 55 and taking a few vapes. The coil just burned right up, there was no way it would remain working under those conditions.

If you are using high wattage, you may need a thicker wire (which may also wind up more flavorful for your needs, as you will have more surface area). You're less likely to burn a coil in two that way, either. You could also (if you have the space in the engine) try a spaced coil. The only other times I see coils snapping in two is when I overstuffed the coil, the wick (and sometimes the coil) can snap in two. Spaced coils avoid overwicking, so if that's what you are doing to cause shortened coil life, I'd try a spaced coil (again, if it will fit).

Good luck,

Anna

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
Wow i absolutely did not know all of this i actually thought that coil replacement and wicking is suppose to occur once every three months.. amazing thank you all so much for the valuable info.
I usually rewick and dry burn every couple days. I have claptons in many of my devices and coils last for months. What guages are your Claptons? You were saying the coil actually broke? Maybe a hot leg? I never had an RTA only RDAs. Now I have a squonk box and I couldn't be happier. RTAs always seemed kind of fidgety for my taste.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread