I can't make nothing that sticks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIYNoob

Moved On
Jun 20, 2019
I don't have a lot of experience with fruits, but I am certain someone will be along very shortly that can help you. In the mean time, it might help them help you if you gave the name of the flavors and the percentages you are currently using in your mix.

I already did that in a previous post. I'm using "Juicy Orange", and whenever i try to mix it with "Peach" or "Mango", all i get is complete muting. I'm using low percentage, under 5%. I don't think i have any other fruit to experiment with, but this is lame. I can't make anything that works together.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I already did that in a previous post. I'm using "Juicy Orange", and whenever i try to mix it with "Peach" or "Mango", all i get is complete muting. I'm using low percentage, under 5%. I don't think i have any other fruit to experiment with, but this is lame. I can't make anything that works together.
Please refrain from taking out your frustration on the forum and its members, or the hobby itself. You'll attract more flies with honey, and nobody is being paid to assist you. To obtain the best assistance, drop the attitude of entitlement and include the full name of your ingredients, including the manufacturer (eg. TFA or Flavor Art). Nobody wants to dig through your posting history.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This hobby is a bit dissapointing. I have tried mixing my "Juicy Orange" with Mango and Peach as recommended, but all i get is muting. I cannot mix any 2 fruits together and make them pop or be self identifiable. I don't know what to do, and i still can't achieve anything tart.
One of the weirdnesses of flavorings is everyone tastes them differently. This may be just the way your body works.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
This hobby is a bit dissapointing. I have tried mixing my "Juicy Orange" with Mango and Peach as recommended, but all i get is muting. I cannot mix any 2 fruits together and make them pop or be self identifiable. I don't know what to do, and i still can't achieve anything tart.
This is your third post about orange flavors.
re: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/search/13830719/
You may benefit by trying these different tweaks and your results:
Atty air flow settings
Wattages
Wire materials
Ohms
Percentages
Proven rated recipe's (how many and which ones?)
RDAs, tanks
Wick materials (new or other)
What did you clean your pallet with prior to tasting?
Steep times
The above should keep you on your toes for a good month minimum. Be sure to keep us posted.:)

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I've never had luck with orange. The pros mentioned in another thread (possibly one of yours) that layering is the key. You need something like four different varieties of orange to make one convincing full orange.

I tried to make lemonade once using just Lorann lemonade and it was sadly lacking. Then I found a recipe that used Lorann lemonade at only 3% with several other fruits in smaller amounts, and it was an amazing fruit punch. Seems like this is a common theme: Use one background ingredient plus a few highlight ingredients. None of the ingredients can stand on their own. They all work together to achieve a synergistic effect that is greater than the sum of the parts. The beverage industry knows this: your "blueberry 100% juice" is mostly apple because apple provides the necessary body to showcase the blueberry highlight without being overpowering (and is cheaper ofc).

All this subtlety makes mixing an excellent hobby, much the same as cooking. It wouldn't be as satisfying if it were entirely straightforward. But if you're not creative and willing to fail often, stick to proven recipes and you'll do just fine.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I am not sure I would try to do much with orange personally but I find citrus really tough. Try something like mango, peach, apricot and cream.

Also: steeping. That means get back to us in a month.

I'm really sorry DIY sucks at first much like cooking. Since I abruptly learned the skill of "cooking" at age 12 when my mom got sick well I feel some sympathy but not that much.

I started with SINGLE flavors that I would mix in my tank. Not exactly the same as "a mix" but it gave me some sense of what went with what.

Also, I am sharing MY taste buds and what they liked yours will be a different matter.

I say forget orange for a bit and branch out.

But, that's me,

Anna

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Trying to mix something with out knowing what you're mixing is like hoping to win the lottery. Start simple. Make just orange juice. Also, make a bottle of mango... Etc. If you really want to get creative, fill a tank with mango, then drop a few drops of the orange concentrate straight onto the coil, and see how the flavor changes as it fades.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Diy takes patience, trial and error. Fruits I have always found to be more of a challenge.

I have not followed your journey so I don’t know what gear or flavors you have, or what specific recipes you’ve tried. So don’t @ me, as the kids say, if I suggest something you’ve already tried.

Do SFTs of everything and test them in a good dripper at intervals over the course of a week or two. Know what you’re looking to add. You say tart. (to which the diy community always warns, tart is not easy to nab, so you’re trying to get a difficult result)

So find the central flavor, and the flavors that fill it out. My personal experience is that my recipe will end up predominantly one flavor, backed up with two or three at far smaller percentages to enhance the main flavor.

Some recipes are 10% total flavor, some are 5 or 6%. But one flavor will be more than half the total. And I have an unwritten rule that I’ll use four flavors, no more. If 4 can’t get me there, I’m using the wrong brand.

For example, I might use 7% of the main flavor 1% of the layer flavor ( which will be the same fruit, but the first may be the ‘sweet’ profile, the second might be the ‘ripe’) 1% of a contrast ( maybe watermelon if your main flavor is strawberry) and 1% of an accent (cactus or gummy).

And I do add a little sweetener because that’s how I like it. I don’t really count it as a flavor although it is calculated as one.

Also, I find that certain atties work better than others for different flavor profiles. Fruit does best, imho, in a cooler vape. Not too much air, not too little, and easy on the watts. Bakery can be good that way, but it’s better warmer and can stand up to a lot of air. And since big air is my thing - at least for now- I’m sticking to vaping a lot of bakery. Just saying, you can vape whatever juice you want however you want to do it, but it seems the delicate nature of fruit flavors gets lost in heat and big air.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hello,
As the previous poster says, it does take time. Tang and tart are kind of hard to achieve. I would suggest first try mixing some tangerine from CAPS anywhere around the 5-10% range. Don't be afraid of mixing with higher % to get what you are looking for. Some flavor makers make their flavors more or less potent than others. High % are usually needed when using Flavor West. Lower, more concentrated flavorings can be found at FlavourARt. Caps or TPA are usually a middle of the road type of concentrations. Can you tell us what flavorings you specifically are using? Just like rl, food types all tastes different so most companies do offer the same named flavorings but all have very different taste.

Good luck and let us know.

:)

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
IMO....the very best thing for you to do is to find a recipe either here...

https://..................../

or here....

DIY Eliquid Recipes: All the Flavors

One of the links will take you directly to the mango recipes. Have a look through the recipes and when you see one you like....make a note of the flavours and flavour company and then go out and buy those exact same flavours :)

With regard to your experiences with your own flavourings....sounds like 5% might be too low so try upping the %'s. You'll get there in the end....good luck :)

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I mix up 30mL sft bottles, about 20-30 bottles at a time. Takes me about a month to go through them, but I have enough of each that I can mix, match, and sample. If I don't like something as a main flavor, the whole bottle goes on the " additive " list to see how it can be used to modify another.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

What does your Recipe look like?

DIYNoob

Moved On
Jun 20, 2019
Diy takes patience, trial and error. Fruits I have always found to be more of a challenge.

I have not followed your journey so I don’t know what gear or flavors you have, or what specific recipes you’ve tried. So don’t @ me, as the kids say, if I suggest something you’ve already tried.

Do SFTs of everything and test them in a good dripper at intervals over the course of a week or two. Know what you’re looking to add. You say tart. (to which the diy community always warns, tart is not easy to nab, so you’re trying to get a difficult result)

So find the central flavor, and the flavors that fill it out. My personal experience is that my recipe will end up predominantly one flavor, backed up with two or three at far smaller percentages to enhance the main flavor.

Some recipes are 10% total flavor, some are 5 or 6%. But one flavor will be more than half the total. And I have an unwritten rule that I’ll use four flavors, no more. If 4 can’t get me there, I’m using the wrong brand.

For example, I might use 7% of the main flavor 1% of the layer flavor ( which will be the same fruit, but the first may be the ‘sweet’ profile, the second might be the ‘ripe’) 1% of a contrast ( maybe watermelon if your main flavor is strawberry) and 1% of an accent (cactus or gummy).

And I do add a little sweetener because that’s how I like it. I don’t really count it as a flavor although it is calculated as one.

Also, I find that certain atties work better than others for different flavor profiles. Fruit does best, imho, in a cooler vape. Not too much air, not too little, and easy on the watts. Bakery can be good that way, but it’s better warmer and can stand up to a lot of air. And since big air is my thing - at least for now- I’m sticking to vaping a lot of bakery. Just saying, you can vape whatever juice you want however you want to do it, but it seems the delicate nature of fruit flavors gets lost in heat and big air.

I don't have all that..multiple tanks. I only have one. And it's not a dripper, it's an RTA.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread