I could really use some support right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jghunter1

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Denver, N.C.
I have, up till about 5 minutes ago, been smoke free for over 2 weeks. But I lit up an analog. It's been a REALLY bad day. MAJOR huge family issues. I'm incredibly stressed out/sad/depressed. Super bad crap is about to come down on me. Sooo, I lit up a cig. I only took a few drags then put it out. It just didn't taste good. But I just could use a little encouragement right now. I know I don't want to become a smoker again but.... It has been such a "comfort" to me for so long... I could always chain smoke whenever "life" got rough. The 510 just isn't helping me "deal" tonight. Please help me remember why I want to quit.:(

Kimmberlee

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2008
MI
I have, up till about 5 minutes ago, been smoke free for over 2 weeks. But I lit up an analog. It's been a REALLY bad day. MAJOR huge family issues. I'm incredibly stressed out/sad/depressed. Super bad crap is about to come down on me. Sooo, I lit up a cig. I only took a few drags then put it out. It just didn't taste good. But I just could use a little encouragement right now. I know I don't want to become a smoker again but.... It has been such a "comfort" to me for so long... I could always chain smoke whenever "life" got rough. The 510 just isn't helping me "deal" tonight. Please help me remember why I want to quit.:(

You can do this!!! I quit 11 months ago and I am not looking back. I have had cravings, however, vaping has saved my life.

My Mom was diagnosed with Emphysema and quit over a year ago!!! Her Dr. said she is doing fantastic and was really impressed with her e-cig.

We have since moved up to a mod. You may want to check out the Xhaler at nhaler.com. It is a GREAT mod and so much better than the smaller batteries that you have to constantly charge. There are many threads about it as well.

Drew (at Nhaler) has great juices too. The best I have had so far. :p

I also do business with Puresmoker and have a Prodigy and a Protege. The throat hit and vapor that you get from a mod will absolutely help you quit for good. Especially during stressful times. :rolleyes:

I smoked a pack a day and probably 2 packs on a Friday night if I was having cocktails. I could have NEVER quit without this. I thought that drinking and not smoking would have been really tough.... the smell of smoke actually makes me gag now. Go figure!!!:D

You CAN do this. Hang in there. We are here for you!!!

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
Being in a crappy place mentally and emotionally makes even a small mistake seem like a disaster, and then it's so easy to generalize it to everything about life/your actions/the world....and think you're a failure.

And lighting up the first, and being 'already a failure', makes it easier to light up the second....and those dark nights spiral off. Heart goes out to you on that.

Practically speaking, keep your mouth and hands occupied. Gum. A beverage. A snack. Whatever. Or go someplace where you can't smoke. (Walking for me is exactly when I smoke, so that never helps!) Watch something funny on the computer. Get into a heated discussion where you can't stop typing. Shop online (for 36mg liquid or a new mod!) or anything else distracting.

Just because your stress is overriding your resolution doesn't mean your resolution is weak; it means your stress is strong and your strategy just needs some tweaking. It'll make for a nasty self-hating cycle if you assume you must succeed at quitting exactly with the method you've been trying.
(There's trying a higher mg, snus, an HV device, a therapist, Zyban....Or whatever solution you find. If one doesn't work, try another.)

Hope this isn't too cheesy, but I like Ralph Waldo Emerson:
Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.

jghunter1

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Denver, N.C.
Being in a crappy place mentally and emotionally makes even a small mistake seem like a disaster, and then it's so easy to generalize it to everything about life/your actions/the world....and think you're a failure.

And lighting up the first, and being 'already a failure', makes it easier to light up the second....and those dark nights spiral off. Heart goes out to you on that.

Thanks Madam. That helped. No, it's NOT too cheesy. I'm in a "dark place" right now and I very much apreciate poetry ( Poe rules) I love the Emerson quote. Thanks so much for replying. Right now I just need to know that other people UNDERSTAND the struggle. It's really been pretty easy quitting up till now. I haven't wanted to smoke after having my 510 for a while. But now I have all this MAJOR STRESS. I always turned to chain-smoking in the past...... just need to find some new coping mechanisms.......

jghunter1

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Denver, N.C.
Yeah, smoking is NOT the answer. Just lit up another analog. IT TOTALLY SUCKED!!!! Tasted like crap.Put it out after about 2 drags. So now I am sucking on my 510 like a fiend. MUCH more pleasurable but I still want that "good old feeling" the cigs used to give me. I guess that's gone forever. Probably a good thing. I guess it's time to "put on my big girl panties and deal with it..."

smokinridge

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2009
Hendersonville, NC
From one Tar Heel to another....stay strong!:D Get some 36mg juice from Chris at My Freedom Smokes. It's great juice and I have been ordering on Sunday and getting it Tuesday!
Sometimes "dark times" come along to remind us how good things are the rest of the time, even when they don't seem to be! It really will get better. When you can get yourself to a place that you see that everyday we are alive is a GIFT, it is easier to face the dark times. None of us are sure that we have a tomorrow! Be GREATFUL for each day!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, thats why they call it the present!"
PM me if you need someone to talk to!;)

JinniVapour

Moved On
Dec 15, 2009
NYC
You will come back here and look at your posts, and tell yourself.. "wow, I must've been really REALLY stressed at that time!!"..

Just take things easy, we all face problems, we WILL all keep getting problems outta no-where in our daily lives.. you ever had a day without problems? ever met or heard of ANYONE who doesn't have problems?

The trick is, doing what we want to do regardless of our problems.. that's where the real fight lies.. ;)

Good luck and keep in touch!

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
"MAJOR huge family issues. I'm incredibly stressed out/sad/depressed. "

ok - what you need to do is up your endorphine levels (feel good hormones) - that means, walking, running, punching pillows, whatever you can to work up a good sweat.

Don't beat yourself up for reaching for a cigarette. Doesn't mean you're backto being a smoker, just that you had a weak moment and that's ok. Next time, think 'sweat' instead of 'smoke' and you'll have a direction to head towards besides the cigarette pack.

Keep up the good work!

TTRP

Snarkyone

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Your mom said not to say...
Try to remember the reasons you wanted to quit in the first place. We all go through stressful times, and for most of our lives we had the crutch of a cigarette. I would suggest that you use the E-Cig as much as you need to, don't worry about it too much. If you have to have a 30 minute vaping session to get you back on an even keel than vape away. Try to remember that the scars we carry with us are a map of our past not the map of our future, and that nothing can make you do something that you choose not to do. You can do this.

jghunter1

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Denver, N.C.
Thanks so much, all of you, for the support and encouragement. I thought you might like to know that after I put out that first cig (after 2 drags) I paced for a while, surfed the forum a bit, and I lit up not one, but 2 more cigs. BUT I put them BOTH out after only 2 drags each. They were just awefull and nasty and didn't make me feel better, just made me feel even WORSE. Apparently I need to learn some new stress coping mechanisms cuz chain smoking is out. My last pack of analogs ( and it was a full pack except for those 3 I tried to smoke) is currently on it's way to the dump.
I'm kinda glad I had my "crisis". It proved to me that I DONT want/need cigs anymore. Good friends are better than analogs-thank you all for being that for me.

ladysolitary85

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
California
You can do this! I'm trying to battle the same battle myself.

My guy lost his job 6 months ago and the weight of being the only support is killing me. I'm lucky enough my landlady has allowed me to make payments with my rent. Between two jobs I'm working part-time shifts. It's been hard I've only been vaping for a month and still have 5 or 6 analogs a day. I'm not proud of it and I can't wait for the day when I can say "I'm smoke-free".

It will happen! You just got to believe in yourself and try a higher mg. That's what I need to do but I need to find the right e-liquid. I'm afraid of wasting money on something I don't like. But, I have to take risks.

Be strong!

jghunter1

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Denver, N.C.
My guy lost his job 6 months ago and the weight of being the only support is killing me. I'm lucky enough my landlady has allowed me to make payments with my rent. Between two jobs I'm working part-time shifts. It's been hard I've only been vaping for a month and still have 5 or 6 analogs a day. I'm not proud of it and I can't wait for the day when I can say "I'm smoke-free".

Lady solitary: Thank SOOOO MUCH!!! I too am supporting "my guy". He's in school/getting a degree, trying to improve his chances of getting a decent job after being laid off from an awesome/high paying/union/ manufacturing position. It totally SUCKS to be the "breadwinner".... I guess I was spoiled before...... MY guy has been out of work since Oct of 08. We BOTH look forward to the day he's out of school and earning a DECENT PAYCHECK!!!!!

As far as analogs go- I think anyone who can get to 5 or less per day is doing AWESOME. Sure, NO analogs is better but there is not a D@m# thing wrong witn cuttting all that tar and carcinogens back to only 1/4 ANY progress is better then none at all.

Thanks so much, all of you, for the support and encouragement. I thought you might like to know that after I put out that first cig (after 2 drags) I paced for a while, surfed the forum a bit, and I lit up not one, but 2 more cigs. BUT I put them BOTH out after only 2 drags each. They were just awefull and nasty and didn't make me feel better, just made me feel even WORSE. Apparently I need to learn some new stress coping mechanisms cuz chain smoking is out. My last pack of analogs ( and it was a full pack except for those 3 I tried to smoke) is currently on it's way to the dump.
I'm kinda glad I had my "crisis". It proved to me that I DONT want/need cigs anymore. Good friends are better than analogs-thank you all for being that for me.

This will happen. Don't be too hard on yourself. It's not just the nicotine, but smoking also puts a monoamine oxidase inhibitor in your body which you don't get from vaping to my knowledge. It's an antidepressant that you're having to adjust to not having. It's not easy, just hang in there and keep stubbing those xxxxers out and you'll be there before long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread