The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

I don’t understand…..

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by LadyAmethyst, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. LadyAmethyst

LadyAmethyst Full Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Rifle, CO
    I recently had a lady ask me how I could stand using a battery powered cigarette. She had seen me vaping. I tried to explain all of the advantages of “vaping” instead of smoking and she just didn’t seem to get it. Yes she smokes. But she doesn’t want to fool with batteries!

I don’t get it. People “fool” with batteries every day. What about your Camera, Cell Phone, iPod - MP3 Player, Blackberry, Remote Controls for TV/DVD etc… She says “that’s different”. I ask why it’s different and all she says is that it just is! :confused:

Errrr……

LadyA

2. MXBNW

MXBNW ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 15, 2010
    NW Washingtion
    IMO the person is just not ready to quite smoking. I do not think they have any thing agents vaping, there just not ready.

3. Juicehead

Juicehead Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 26, 2011
    CA
    Don't let it get to you. Its their loss for being so ignorant and close minded.

4. Rhapsodies Fire

Rhapsodies Fire ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 18, 2010
    Bow, WA, USA
    I agree....sounds like they aren't ready to even consider that there might be an effective alternative to smoking. I was that way too...the only reason I did, was because MXBNW did....only it took me 5 months longer to succeed. :)

*edit....actually, I had a conversation with the wife of a recently quit 50yr smoker ....she told me that she thinks vaping is a bad idea and it will lead him back to smoking and therefore won't tell him about vaping. Poor guy has been chewing well over the maximum recommended dose of Nicorrette because he's having a rough time after 3 months....:facepalm: I gave her my card and told her if she ever changes her mind, to let me know. :)

5. LadyAmethyst

LadyAmethyst Full Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Rifle, CO
    Yeah, but I wasn't trying to get her to quit! She just came up and asked me about it! :(

LadyA

6. MXBNW

MXBNW ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 15, 2010
    NW Washingtion
    If she asked about it then there is hope down the road. She is aware that there is an alternative to smoking so that is good.

7. Juicehead

Juicehead Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 26, 2011
    CA
    You should have said that "because of these batteries, I no longer stink like smoke, cough up my lungs, or spend $6 a day on a nasty habit"

8. IOU

IOU Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Yes, you can lead a horse to water......
    I always say smokers (and I include myself in that group) are some of the best excuse-makers in the world. We are always making excuses for our habit i.e. yes I will quit when _________ __________ __________, fill in the blanks.
    I have found that you cannot force smokers to switch. We all know smoking is bad for us. We all know smoking kills, so innately we know we shouldn't smoke and each smoker has to constantly rationalize why we continue to do so. This is called an addiction, but eventually we know we should do something and many times the excuses is just "someday".
    I personally think it is enough to just plant a seed in every smoker's psyche (sp?) that there is a very good alternative available and let them do the rest themselves.
    Good luck everyone! :)

9. unsure

unsure ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

She may think differently when she fooling around an oxygen tank or voice box, :(

10. tooloney

tooloney Full Member

Jan 16, 2011
    beaumont, texas
    ask her why she fools around with a lighter.

11. Nic_Fan

Nic_Fan Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 7, 2011
    Twin Cities, MN
    You know, I have to admit. When some friends first showed me their Joye 510's and were raving about how it got them off smokes, I was totally uninterested. In fact I thought it was goofy as hell and promptly went out for a Winston. Funny how things turn out though. For me it took someone to buy me one and then I tried it 'cause it was there. Rest is history.

12. grandmato5

grandmato5 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    WNY
    When I first read about electric cigarettes several years ago I couldn't imagine using one. While I remember reading the article in the newspaper I dismissed it pretty easily not giving it anymore thought other then thinking only wierdos would use something like that. Honestly it just sounded wierd and not something I would ever consider. IF I'd seen someone in person using one I doubt I would have thought any different then I did just reading about it.

Guessing the lady you spoke to had similar thoughts to mine. Who knows, in the future, at some point, she might change her mind just I did.

13. StormFinch

StormFinch Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 22, 2010
    Arkansas
    Oooo nice one unsure. I'd much rather change out the batteries on my Infinity than recharge the battery pack on a portable oxygen generator. :shock:

14. Stosh

Stosh Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 2, 2010
    Nevada
    In the imortal words of Ron White:

"If your eyesight starts to go bad, you can get Lasik surgery and they can give you 20/20 vision at any age. If your hearing starts to fail, they'll put a little device in your ear that makes you hear as good as when you were born. But let me tell you something folks- you can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take. There's not a class you can go to. Stupid is fo-evah."

15. typocinnamongrl

typocinnamongrl Ultra Member ECF Veteran

ugg I know exactly what you mean. A few of my smoking friends wont go near my PV with a 10ft pole... One in particular says "screw fake cigs" my reply is "screw dying of lung cancer!" Serioiusly ><

16. Kent C

Kent C ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    You nailed it. For some, it's actually 'scary' to even comtemplate, esp. the ones that have tried quitting and failed. So they make up lame excuses. They don't understand that it's the nicotine talking.

17. TNT

TNT Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 5, 2009
    York, PA
    I work in the cable TV business... everyday, people call me with a problem, and I say, "Could you unplug your digital box from the electric outlet for 30 seconds?"

And everyday, at least one person will say, "Unplug it from my electric outlet... what exactly do you mean by that?"

18. LadyAmethyst

LadyAmethyst Full Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Rifle, CO
    Wow TNT, you aren't gonna believe this but my cable guy just left. I just made the switch to a new ISP. :laugh:

There were two guys here doing the installation and I was vaping part of the time. They were both interested so I gave them my opinion of vaping :vapor: but I also told them to come to ECF and do some checking before they bought anything! Oh and of course I put my plug in for my fav device!:p

So ya win some, ya lose some!
    LadyA

19. ShannonA

ShannonA Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 15, 2011
    Tyler, Tx
    I do have to admit these are more work than regular cigs... some people are just that lazy. I was actually worried hubby would get tired of fussing with it and go back to smoking but so far so good. I was also thought it might be too much fuss for my sister... well they're at least not too much fuss for her to try we'll see how it works out for her. If she converts I see her bringing others with her since she's more social than I am.

20. silentt

silentt Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 14, 2011
    Virginia
    I try not to even bring it up at work anymore because everyone is ignorant and smokes over a pack a day of analogs. From day one they didn't want to switch or learn anything about my personal vaporizers. So after a couple months now I just vape away and they smoke away and no questions asked.

edit: i say ignorant because they say the things like " fake cigg ".. etc etc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.