I don't know what wire or size to buy: SS Kanthal nichrome. big builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapesmooth123

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2016
I'm researching in the meantime but figured I'd ask exactly what I'm trying to do.

I've never used anything but kanthal for years.
Now I use kanthal fused claptons: 28x2 inner, 32 outer. I usually make dual coil 3.5mm 6-wraps, good vapor but the ramp up time is too long, so I want to try TC.

I don't know which metal to use because I don't want to kill battery fast. I use a single 3000 mAh 18650 mod (for single smaller diameter coils, I realize I can't get too much battery life with that), and I have a dual 3000 mAh, and triple 3000 mAh mod but I don't like triple 18650 because it's gigantic in pocket.

I CAN use SS in wattage mode and it might have faster ramp up than kanthal? but I'm not sure if it'll kill battery fast. Or if I'd be better off using a hybrid mix of wire types.

Basically I want the wire to do everything: fit huge exotic coils (and large diameter, I'm ordering 4 and 4.5mm coiling rods that I can hopefully fit in my tanks). But the single 18650 is for smaller single coil RTAs I will probably use a single 5-wrap 2.5-3mm exotic.

I'm getting a giant 30mm RDA (will use triple 18650 MOD for that probably but will not use it daily). And want to fit some big coils in that (quad-octa 4-6mm 6-wrap if it'll fit).

I never used TC but doesn't seem too hard to do. All my MODs are DNA. I click 5X lock it out, hold two buttons and set temperature if I'm not mistaken that's all it takes.

If I end up using SS in Wattage mode, I just hold 2 buttons to 'lock ohms'? Otherwise it might fluctuate and give a burnt/weak hit depending on which way it fluctuated? I read the fluctuation isn't even much though, people use SS wattage on Mech MODs and said it's always been safe for them.

So yea anyway, I plan to buy spools of the stuff too, not premade coils, (and no, not going to spin my own exotic coils from individual wire). I plant to maybe try stuff more exotic than fused claptons like staple staggered alien etc if I google about that and see a reason to. I was going to buy spools on fasttech with my order but read to stick with well-trusted brands.

I want huge vapor and good battery life and good coil life (basically everything), but if I have to compromise to achieve much better battery life by replacing coils more often, then I'm fine with that if that type of wire needs to be replaced more often.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Best SS for TC on the DNA's is 430, 316,17 don't work as good in TC.
IMO SS430 would be your best wire choice for all around, you can run in watts or TC, you can make exotic coils or run simple round wire builds :)
Ni80 probably ramps up the fastest, Titanium is Great in TC, as for battery conservation IDK :)

Reactions: stols001

vapesmooth123

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2016
well I just put in my basket to order plain SS316L fused claptons to compare with the kanthal A1 fused claptons I've been using. There should be quicker ramp time with the SS. Dunno how battery life will be affected though. I have a DNA75 and DNA250 MOD (DNA167 in dual 18650 how I usually use it), and those boards should be able to vape 6-wrap 3.5mm dual coils of these I hope it's not too low of resistance. I'm going to try like 4 of these coils in a big 30mm RDA also, and dunno if I need to get different wire to avoid 'ohms too low'.

I'll look more into this later though not really in a rush to become a coil expert..

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread