I don't think the EGo is a good beginner setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireDragon1138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Orlando, Florida
I think skipping Ego's altogether is probably the right thing to recommend, and so-called "cig-a-likes" are vastly underrated. I'm thinking about selling off my EGo batteries and only using a smaller one for dripping to test my DIY's with, just because the EGo battery + clearomizer is such a hassle, particularly using unregulated batteries that often start off with harsh hits (try vaping something with real throat hit like WTA or NET, for instance, and you'll know what I'm talking about). I'm thinking of making do with cig-a-likes and maybe eventually get a Vamo or Lavatube if I want something with a real battery.

I don't understand why the EGo is praised a lot, and beginners are told to avoid things like "cig-a-likes". The average inexpensive EGo (often a knock-off) out there you'll pay 14 dollars for at a shop and the voltage is completely unregulated. That means it often hits too hard fresh off the charger, and too weak later. You can get a KR808 battery that is a regulated 3.6v from SmokelessImage or LightCigUSA and it'll deliver the same vaping consistency until the battery dies- and you'll only pay about 8 dollars for that battery (so you can almost buy two for the price of one EGo- don't forget you need two EGo's, one for a backup, if you are serious about quitting smoking). Shops are getting EGo's from China in bulk and selling them with a big markup, but they don't bother with so-called cig-a-likes because that market is cornered by online businesses that provide customer service and warranties. They can't really break into that market like that can with selling people overpriced e-juice in bottles to fill into their leaky clearomizers- they shift the burden to consumers and make a handsome profit selling a product that probably cost less than 5 cents per milliliter to make.

A blind acquaintance who smokes a lot went to a vape store and she and her boyfriend left with a big stick style setup- she parted with a large sum of cash too for that privilege. I can already see this as a disaster, as she'll have to depend on her boyfriend to fill them and when the clearomizers leak, she won't be as on top of it as somebody that can see the leaking. She could have gotten a "cig-a-like" setup that would have served her much better, with pre-filled cartridges and real customer service. But B&M's selling EGo-style e-cigs are everywhere and people are starting to think that's what e-cigs are all about.

Or how about the fact that if you put anything bigger than a Stardust or maybe a Mini Nova on top of an Ego battery, it starts to become obscenely top heavy, and not to mention just plain ugly? The EGo was designed for 1mL cartridges that plug into atomizers, looking like a metal cigar, not some kind of sonic screwdriver!

What do you all think?

Last edited:

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
I agree If a beginner wants a fighting chance of getting off the analogs they really need something better than an ego
An inexpensive VV VW mod and a clearo like a Pro tank or a Nautilus is a good choice
A setup like this still cost less than smoking for a week and will drastically enhance your chance of making a smooth transition

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Gosh, I don't know what to say.

It was a kGo that got me off the smokes, when a cig-a-like failed.

I still use my Kanger 650s with a T3S or mini PT or iClear16. All low(er) resistance, of course.

The cig-a-like market in the UK is colossally expensive for the newbie - one brand charges $6.70 per cartomizer? So, cig-a-likes are out for financial reasons...

We have thousands of vapers on the main UK forums (i.e not here), many of whom stopped smoking with a very basic eGo set-up.

Other than those comments... I don't know. You may be right. :)

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
It's a process in my experience. My first thought was a cigalike and I tried just because I was thinking "that's more natural" -it sucked horribly!!!
Then I went to a ego- it got me to open my eyes to everything else out there. I didn't know about any of the other options. While the ego and ce4 sucked not as much as the cigalike but still sucked. The fact that it exposed me go the other stuff and got me to be willing to spend more that 20 bucks on a vaper that would really help me put down the marlboros gives me an appreciation for the egos. Now that I'm using a real vaping setup I see myself becoming a vaper snob lol
The problem is that unless you actively search out this stuff you'll never know it's out there. The B&M I went to just wanted to sell me something and they didn't expose me to any of the real Mods or PVs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motoman883

Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
Mt Washington Ky
I agree. We started with the typical starter kit and my first thought was this taste like crap but we stuck with it and did research and now its like the best thing ever. Its human nature to give up on something if it doesnt work the first go round, most people wont stick with it. Anologs are easy, cigarette, lighter done. Vaping is more work and trial and error but worth it in the long run with the right set up.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I thought the eGo Twist I got was a great beginner set-up. Got me to quit smoking.

Same here, and for that reason, there will always be a place in my vape vault for my Egos.

And I have to say that for me, "cig-a-likes" are overrated, not underrated. Short battery life, small capacity, and I'm pretty sure that when you work out the "cost per puff" over a year's time, it's probably the most economically inefficient way to vape.

But if it gets people to stop smoking, more power to them!

FireDragon1138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2014
Orlando, Florida
The price of two Ego Twists is the same as an inexpensive VV kit like an Itaste, Vamo, or Lavatube. It's just not a good idea to recommend to somebody trying to quit smoking that one battery will do if there's no way to swap batteries or hook it up to a passthrough.

I don't see how cig-a-likes are that costly. Decent KR808 cartomizers are cheaper than crappy CE4 clearomizers and they seem to be at least as reliable, if not moreso. Plenty of cig-a-like oriented companies sell blank cartomizers and e-liquid refills, and it's actually a good thing they sell pre-filled cartomizers (so that people who don't want to or can't fill them themselves don't have to mess with it).

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
One of the troubles with the cigalike systems is compatibility.

As a result the 510 thread becomes usefull for integrating the 510 version of cigalikes to the 510/eGo batteries; so you might start off on a 510 cigalike, and then upgrade the battery to an eGo size battery so you don't have to recharge as often. After that you upgrade to a tank - maybe a cartotank! since you're using cartos anyway, which are the front end of a cigalike.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
LOL @ DIYers thinking they know what newbies need. Cigalikes? Sorry, those are all junk. No vaping power, the battery needs to be recharged every 3-4 hours, and oh the joys of carrying a spare battery or two and handful of extra carts everywhere you go. And this is what you think newbies need?

Sounds like a HUGE hassle compared to "Charge it overnight, top off the tank in the morning, and you're good to go for the rest of the day."

Funny thing about newbies, most of the prefer CONVENIENCE. If you told the average newbie that they couldn't leave the house without 2-3 charged batteries, a charger, at least 2 filled carts and/or a bottle of juice, most of them wouldn't bother trying ecigs at all. Too much hassle. Tell them that they can charge a battery while they sleep, fill the tank in less than 30 seconds in the morning, and that alone will last them all day and they think that's fantastic.

And for the record, MOST people stay with their eGo setups. This forum is for eccentrics, not normal people. We do things different.

I'll give you an analogy here. I visit a performance car forum as well. Ask how to wash a car there and you'll be told to use the Two Bucket Method and to NEVER dry the car by rubbing it with a towel and instead use an electric leaf blower and then pat-dry any leftovers with a microfiber cloth. This is the advice given by the same type of people we are. Is it really suitable for your average car owner though?

Is your idea of what a newbie needs REALLY what a newbie needs, or is it what YOU would need if you were to go back the same point now?

BTW, in case your curious, I actually use the 3 Bucket Method to wash my cars. Clay bar once every 3 months, polish the paint every 6 months. I treat with paint sealant once every 3 months and wax every 2 weeks.

It's the proper way to wash a car.

Last edited:

Vagore

Mar 6, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
An Ego was my first E-cig, and I loved it. I actually use it occasionally to this day depending where I'm going to be that evening. It's not bad looking if you keep the smaller cardos on it. Easier to hide as well... though you'll need to carry extra atomizers with you if you're anything like me. I always sit on the darn thing or somehow get the button pressed in my pocket and burn up my atomizer. :/

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
They make all different flavors of EGO's, (unregulated, voltage changeable, spinner, twist, VV) hard to group ALL EGO's into the sucks category. I do agree unregulated is not the best, but just pointing out there are other options for an EGO battery, which I have all of them.

Vape On
Burnie
:vapor:

Maybe I should have clairified... What I meant was while they do serve a purpose as far as a good entry level exposure to the vaping community and some offer a wide range of options. Them being unregulated is not such a big deal if they are geared to beginners, most beginners have no clue what that is. All they want is something easy to use that gives them that satisfaction. My problem with them is build quality. I went through three egos in a week; because if dropping them lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BostonVape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
BeanTown
I thought the eGo Twist I got was a great beginner set-up. Got me to quit smoking.

Same here.. It depends on the individual. VV/VW is often too much for people to understand.. let alone Ohms and all of that as well... Some are content with a simple 'push and vape' method.

It's much better to suggest a simple setup for someone and then have them upgrade then over-complicate things right off the bat which will often push them back to analogs..

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I believe a successful B&M shop will carry at least one example of every step, from cig-alikes with pre-filled cartos, to eGos and clearos, to regulated mods and beyond. If they sincerely ask what the prospective buyer is looking for, rather than just make a quick, one time sale, both the shop and the new vaper can succeed. Some people want their device to look as much like a cigarette as possible. Others want their device to not resemble a cigarette in any way. Everybody's different. There's no 'one size fits all'. My GF started out with V2 cig-alikes. She went back to smoking after a couple months. A year or so later, she decided to try vaping again. We got her a Vamo, some Vivi Mini Novas, and some juice. She enjoyed the vaping; but found the set up too awkward, at least at her work. We went out shopping again, and she settled on an eGo-C, which she loves. She has no interest what so ever in the stuff I use; mechanical mods, genisis RBAs, and drippers.

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
I am well into vaping with a lot of expensive gear. I still use my Ego-C uprades before bed and when I want to stealth vape. Get the top of the line and I think they are great. Have tried to switch my wife to something better after eight months and she wants no part of anything new.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Just my .02, but I started with the eGo's because it was all I could find at the time to get off of the wretched Smart Ecig (tm), which got juice in my mouth, could only be used for 2 hours before you had to charge it for 3 hours, and generally sucked big-time. The eGo's worked for a while, and kept me off the analogs, but they were just not good enough, and I ended up with a mech and an RBA in about 6 weeks. That was 8 months ago, and since then I've been happy with my RSST and my mech.

When you are just getting into vaping and you go to the B&M's they are going to steer you right into eGo rigs, and some of those places only have that. The typical new vaper also wants something they don't have to risk a lot of money on being they are so new to the game and know so little about it. For me it was a matter of satisfaction, and I wasn't stopping until I had a satisfying vape, nor was I going back the analogs.

Vagore

Mar 6, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
I am well into vaping with a lot of expensive gear. I still use my Ego-C uprades before bed and when I want to stealth vape. Get the top of the line and I think they are great. Have tried to switch my wife to something better after eight months and she wants no part of anything new.

My wife won't use anything but her Ego... she thinks the other models are too large, bulky, or manly haha. She doesn't vape enough to kill an Ego in a day though so it works for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread