I Don't Trust My USB On board Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic Vape

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2015
Why do they put a USB connector on these things? When they tell you that you can use it for charging, but recommend that you don't? Just got my first 3 batterie mod, and I get how great they are, but miss my passthrough capability. Now I have the external charger instead of that and that's fine. I guess my point is that it's frustrating that they would sell anything with an option that is less safe to begin with. Just had to vent lol. Your thoughts please.

Reactions: stols001

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Now I have to learn what firmware is too lol....

:p

I agree with Mr. R and Letitia. But, in case you're away from your home/external charger and your batteries are loosing juice, it's nice to have another option to recharge.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Check the manual first. Many mods now do not charge thru USB.

Good advice!
Thanks to you both. Yeah I was wondering whether to go .5 or 1. I only charged it once at 1 so not so bad I hope irggggg.

Missed that part of your post; .5 and 1A are both OK, but I wouldn't go any faster than that. The difference between .5 and 1A is negligible when it comes to prolonging the life of your batteries, and charging at .5A can be excruciatingly slow if you have high capacity batteries (2,500 or 3,000 mAh).

Vic Vape

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2015
Yes in the manual and online it says you can use the USB, buy they also say they recommend for better charging to use the external charger. I still miss my passthrough, even though at 15 watts I get all day vape for 6 days with 3 batteries. Peace to all and thanks for your input! Goodnight from NY

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
The problem is the micro usb2 standard itself. It’s just too delicate. We’re slowly seeking N.Y. usbC stuff coming out but it’s taking a while. In the meantime fasttech has magnetic microusb2 replacements that can save your port from overuse

I'm one of those that prefer usb charging. Not always, but generally. I also hate the delicate nature of the micro usb connections. At this time, I only have 1 USB-C unit, that being my phone. Yet all my devices are charged off the same cable system as I use the magnetic connections like bombastinator mentions. Works great for me. Phone, 4 mods, tablet, and 3 other USB devices all use the same cables.

Now, since I use 10 mods for vaping almost daily, I still have to charge batteries separately for several of them, and the rest use LiPo charging systems, but all my 18650 batteries get a full external charger charge at least once a week.
0429c5c85b4e73f7fb49aa96bfcfde42.jpg

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You may find you prefer external charging after a while, anyway. It's so much easier to swap out batteries than charge via USB (I don't use passthrough, I don't care for it and I don't believe it's that great for the mod... My batteries seemed to heat up if I did that.) And yes, it's always good to have options... :)

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I started use dual 18650 mod just over a year ago and am experiencing shorter battery life over the last couple of months. Ordered 6 30q batts and the difference is noticeable. Still using older ones right now as well as new. Will probably quit using older ones in a few months.

Mr. Relentless

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2017
I started use dual 18650 mod just over a year ago and am experiencing shorter battery life over the last couple of months. Ordered 6 30q batts and the difference is noticeable. Still using older ones right now as well as new. Will probably quit using older ones in a few months.
Recently got new batts myself. Going to get a couple flashlights or a headlamp for the older 18650's.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Recently got new batts myself. Going to get a couple flashlights or a headlamp for the older 18650's.
I ordered button tops by mistake and am looking for a flashlight so I can use them. lol
I just reordered correct batts instead of trying to return them. Liion has been a great vendor for me so decided to eat them.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I ordered button tops by mistake and am looking for a flashlight so I can use them. lol
I just reordered correct batts instead of trying to return them. Liion has been a great vendor for me so decided to eat them.

Get an Atomic Beam flashlight for $20.00, I know Walgreens & Home Depot carry them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread