The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

I drilled a big hole in my new tank

Discussion in 'Tanks, clearomizers and drop-in coils' started by mortenhy, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. mortenhy

mortenhy Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 29, 2017
    [​IMG]
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/VfPbYYVfEGuB7jhz9
    I just bought a new aspire nautilus (5 hours ago and saw a video with some guy telling how to drill bigger air holes . So I took (apparently) a drill for wood and started drilling.. And drilling and drilling lol.. Now I found out that I have ruined the air flow due to the heat from the drilling, the air flow ring got stuck.. Really stuck.. So I took a bigger drill and started drilling again.. At this point I was very sad due I had just bought the aspire nautilus and looking back this was a dumb idea (I am not a handy man).. And if you look at the picture (link above) you can see my new tank with a big hole in the middle lol ...but guess what.. The air flow is perfectly fine.. But don't do this unless you have a good idea about what you are doing..

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zaryk

Zaryk Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Did you choose to do this because you couldn't find an atty that you liked with the airflow options that work for you?

Glad to hear it still works. The heat probably didn't help anything, but you probably pushed some of the metal from the airflow ring into the base, through the hole you drilled, and fused it all together. Light pressure and the proper bit (and a little water poured over the hole every once in a while when drilling, to keep the heat down) would be advised if you plan to do such a modification again. Just go slow and let a nice (new and sharp ideally) drill bit made for metal do the work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  3. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Neat. I changed mine up some with a DTL type driptip. Moved on to the Exceed tanks that give me the AF that I was looking for.

( there is a vid on utube to remove the AF ring)

• Like Like x 2
  4. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    When drilling stainless Steel, cobalt drill bits work best.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. 93gc40

93gc40 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2014
    California
    The ring is stuck because you drilled it...while mounted. the burr left behind is the problem.... next time take the atty appart before drilling. Don't drill through moveable parts to make holes in other parts.

Good thing is those atties only cost $5. So ypu can get another... might suggest a nautilus X or something with more airflow than the OG NAUTILUS ypu have.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. mortenhy

Apr 29, 2017
    Yes I did it due to (sorry for the spelling, I am Danish) the air flow was to tight, and the other tanks I have bought (with good air flow) could only use subohm coils .
    Another thing is that the aspire nautilus is a 5ml tank and due to the new laws, here in Denmark we can only buy 2 ml...
    It seems like you know a little about this subject, I will definitely take your advice and have them in mind next time . Thanks for the answer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mortenhy

Apr 29, 2017
    Thanks for the answer, I will look into this nautilus x.

• Like Like x 1
  8. john1211

john1211 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2013
    Troy, NY
    buy an innokin zenith, u will be happy

• Like Like x 1
  9. mortenhy

Apr 29, 2017
    Great advice thanks

• Like Like x 1
  10. mortenhy

Apr 29, 2017
    I will look it up thanks

• Like Like x 1
  11. mortenhy

Apr 29, 2017
    What is "atties"? Is it the bottom of the tank? Do you know where to buy spare parts like o rings etc? Tried Pink mule without luck .

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vinnybagodoughnuts

Vinnybagodoughnuts Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Nov 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    I've drilled big holes in my tanks on multiple occasions, most notably when I've dropped them, it's a glass tank, and I get this gigantic raggedy airhole that I was NOT expecting to have, but it's all good. And by that I mean, airflow is improved but only for a short time.

LOL, the only airhole I am considering DRILLING is into the Berserker RTA, which I would of course obviously get the husband to do that, just because it would be a lot easier for HIM. I'm considering it thoughtfully because I really love the Berserker but got tired of the draw being so tight, it detaches my dentures from my mouth, and that's annoying. It's otherwise great.. LOL.

Welcome and congrats on your successful experiment and I hope you like it better that way. Etc.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  14. suprtrkr

suprtrkr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Or Titanium Nitride.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. suprtrkr

suprtrkr ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have been known to drill a hole or two in the occasional tank, and I have ruined a few of them along the way. If yours still works, you are ahead of that. I do agree, though, it's usually better to just get one that works the way you want it to, Unfortunately, I can't make a recommendation because I don't use tanks like that any more. Thanks for the photo; it's been a while since I've seen an old Nauti like that one.

• Like Like x 2
  16. TrollDragon

TrollDragon ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    Nothing wrong with that job at all, have you seen the Gatemouth Kayfuns that are sold?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. mortenhy

Apr 29, 2017
    Nope, but wow these on the picture looks pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    A "juice attachment" or "juice delivery device" is any device which has a heating coil which can vaporize e-liquid when powered by a battery or battery device.

One of the first words you'll read about is "atomizer", or "atty" for short. This word can be confusing to many novices, because it can have different meanings depending upon the context the word is used. It can be a generic catchall word meaning any and all juice attachments. It can also be a synonym for the heating coil itself such as a drop-in replacement coil for a clearomizer. It can also refer to a more specific juice attachment, like a "510 drip atomizer" or a "rebuildable atomizer" (RBA).

A "tank" is an attachment with a reservoir for the e-liquid in addition to a coil. These typically have glass or clear plastic to easily see the level of the e-liquid. This can include a clearomizer, cartotank, or a RTA (rebuildable tank atomizer).

A "clearomizer" is a tank which uses factory-made, drop-in coils.

A "cartotank" is a tank which uses factory-made cartomizers. (One of the first tanks, not common nowadays)

A "rebuildable tank atomizer/RTA) is a tank that uses DIY homemade (rebuildable) coils and wick.​

Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.