I Feel like a noob... need heart help with DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darma72315

Sep 24, 2019
Hi guys! I haven’t been here in years but I’m back for help! I quit cigs 6 years ago and I bet it took my first 2 years of vaping to learn to make my juice and get the right equipment for me. I’m so set in my ways that nothing has changed. I’m still using a vamo and a mt3s. I just love the setup and welcome the giggles for my outdated vape, lol.

Lately I’ve began having heart palpitations. Oh I’ve done that before when I mixed the nic too high or something. I’m a chain vaper and honestly don’t plan to change. My problem is... these heart palpitations have began with no change to my vape? I’ve been to the doc and had ekgs, xrays, blood tests, etc. I just finished with wearing a heart monitor and am awaiting results. However, they haven’t found a problem yet. So, yes I’m seeing a doc.

I’m examining my eliquid and all I can figure is my nicotine is old. Anyone have adverse effects from old ingredients? I’ve cut the nicotine down to a lowly .03%... yes .03 so it wasn’t high to start with. Nonetheless, I watered down my current batch and the palpitations have nearly stopped. I scrapped all my ingredients and ordered new yesterday.

I need to go back to the basics on mixing. I literally did the study years ago. I have a jug I marked with measurements for vg, water, and nicotine. I add flavoring to that and I only use 3. I have no earthly idea how I came to the measurements anymore, lol.

Reading through the forum I see you can buy nic tests? Can someone link me to a reliable one. I mean perhaps I’m getting more than I think is in there?

Also, can someone give me a good DIY calculator for dummies?

I think over the years I’ve just gotten sloppy. I’ve been cutting the nicotine without calculating and not watching expiration dates. My nicotine isn’t even in the freezer anymore. I mean... I’ve really dropped the ball.

I admit... I love smoking but it didn’t love me back. vaping is like the last vice I have and quite frankly I don’t want to quit or even cut down. I need to relearn DIY before I’m the next idiot that screws up vaping for the rest of us.

Where do I go y’all? My ingredients are simply VG, nicotine, water, 3 flavors. I need to get this nicotine level down to a precise art. Where do I go to learn how to do that again?

• Love
Reactions: Falconeer

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
Glad you are seeing a doc! Have you tried vaping with no nic at all? Unflavored? Change from VG to PG (if not sensitive to PG). Do you use distilled water or tap? How old is old for the nic?

Here's a link to a calculator for DIY: E-Liquid Calculator - Best DIY Vape eJuice Calculator

Have never used a nicotine test kit, so no help there. I mix using graduated cylinders.

I have had heart palpitations with no known cause, too. Closest my doc could tell, they were brought on my increasing my exercise level after a slow winter. Haven't gotten them again.

• Useful
Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Are you sure your using .03% of your mix is nicotine? Absolutely positive?

Because .3% is 3mg/ml.. So basically it looks as if your not getting nicotine.. at .03% you may as well not use any at all!

While smoking is one of the major causes of heart palpitations, it is not the only one. Many people have heart palpitations after they quit smoking because their body is trying to clean itself of harmful toxins caused by years of smoking. Quitting smoking is a great way to avoid heart palpitations in the future but since your body still has chemicals in it from smoking, you may feel some of their after effects, such as heart palpitations.

Why Do I Have Heart Palpitations When I Quit Smoking?

So it seems a few people have heart palpitations related to quitting smoking... you may be able to interpolate that information at least in part to nicotine...

I don't know it's just a guess? But if this level of mixing is new, you could chalk it up to a sudden lack of nicotine..

But I think you may like to check your math, before making that determination..

Last edited:

Darma72315

Sep 24, 2019
Are you sure your using .03% of your mix is nicotine? Absolutely positive?

Because .3% is 3mg/ml.. So basically it looks as if your not getting nicotine.. at .03% you may as well not use any at all!

Why Do I Have Heart Palpitations When I Quit Smoking?

So it seems a few people have heart palpitations related to quitting smoking... you may be able to interpolate that information at least in part to nicotine...

I don't know it's just a guess? But if this level of mixing is new, you could chalk it up to a sudden lack of nicotine..

But I think you may like to check your math, before making that determination..

I agree.. it’s like nothing at all so what would be the big deal at all. I scrapped my old supplies, watered down my current batch, and ordered new. The palpitations have all but stopped. Yesterday the results from my medical tests were great. Somewhere... somehow... I screwed up something. While I’m waiting on my new supplies I’m learning the art again. Boy has it changed. I bookmarked a calculator I will use.

I’m beginning to think that my screw up was not shaking my big bottle before filling the one I use. If the ingredients were old I read they can separate and perhaps nicotine floats lol. I’m not quite sure what the heck I did. However, it’s clear I got sloppy and lazy. It was a good wake up call.

Nicotine use, at this point is all in my head. I took it completely out and barely noticed. So, yes... I realize I might as well have none. I was using 48 to make my juice. I ordered 24 and will use same recipe.

I guess I’ll learn a lot when I get to a new batch. I did read online about old ingredients and while my nicotine was over a year expired it wasn’t very dark in color, I wasn’t sick, or anything else. This isn’t a first with heart flutters and it seems like the last time I fixed them by simply shaking my juice each time before use.

Who knows... but I’m working on it

Darma72315

Sep 24, 2019
T
Glad you are seeing a doc! Have you tried vaping with no nic at all? Unflavored? Change from VG to PG (if not sensitive to PG). Do you use distilled water or tap? How old is old for the nic?

Here's a link to a calculator for DIY: E-Liquid Calculator - Best DIY Vape eJuice Calculator

Have never used a nicotine test kit, so no help there. I mix using graduated cylinders.

I have had heart palpitations with no known cause, too. Closest my doc could tell, they were brought on my increasing my exercise level after a slow winter. Haven't gotten them again.

The nicotine expired over a year ago.. yes, I know.. shame on me. I’ve just cut it so drastically and quit making juice for my mom that it lasted far beyond expectations. All my results from doc are great. Since I watered down this batch I’ve only had a few flutters. I do use distilled water. I was so careful when I began mixing. I followed all the rules. Im not quite sure when I got so lax but apparently I did.

Whenever my new supplies get here I’m going to go back to the drawing board and really calculate. Hopefully this was just a wake up call.

Reactions: Iron Molly

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
I agree.. it’s like nothing at all so what would be the big deal at all. I scrapped my old supplies, watered down my current batch, and ordered new. The palpitations have all but stopped. Yesterday the results from my medical tests were great. Somewhere... somehow... I screwed up something. While I’m waiting on my new supplies I’m learning the art again. Boy has it changed. I bookmarked a calculator I will use.

I’m beginning to think that my screw up was not shaking my big bottle before filling the one I use. If the ingredients were old I read they can separate and perhaps nicotine floats lol. I’m not quite sure what the heck I did. However, it’s clear I got sloppy and lazy. It was a good wake up call.

Nicotine use, at this point is all in my head. I took it completely out and barely noticed. So, yes... I realize I might as well have none. I was using 48 to make my juice. I ordered 24 and will use same recipe.

I guess I’ll learn a lot when I get to a new batch. I did read online about old ingredients and while my nicotine was over a year expired it wasn’t very dark in color, I wasn’t sick, or anything else. This isn’t a first with heart flutters and it seems like the last time I fixed them by simply shaking my juice each time before use.

Who knows... but I’m working on it

Yes I always, always shake my nicotine before measuring...

Not only that, I only keep a small bottle out of the freezer at a time.. you might be better served keeping a small 30ml bottle of nicotine for DIY at room temp for use, and the rest keep in the freezer..(*just bring to room temperature and shake well before use)

Stored properly in a freezer Nicotine can keep a decade or two.. so old nicotine isn't usually a problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Iron Molly

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Also, can someone give me a good DIY calculator for dummies?
Welcome and glad you joined.
I like the calculators below, a user is not required to join and download them. All calculators can be used on line and can be stored as bookmarks for later reference.
re: E-Liquid Calculator Ten Flavors with PG/VG Adjusting The one I'm use to using.
Do It Yourself E-Liquid (E-Juice) Recipe Mixing Station!
Reading through the forum I see you can buy nic tests?
re: The DIYnicotine strength test kit for testing nicotine base liquids (no flavorings)
Where do I go to learn how to do that again?
Could read:
Getting Started: DIY 101 – Mixing Your Own eLiquid
How to Mix DIY e-Liquids - The Vapers Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread