I get to suck a flashlight too

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
I was a little bored tonight so I thought I would try my hand at modding and was surprised to find it was remarkably easy.

this was made using no power tools, no solder and no knowledge of modding. It took me an hour to do.

05232009204.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rczTwmtDSg

Maybe this weekend I will get a moment switch and add it so I don't have to use the power button from the flashlight.

DW

figures youtube goes down as soon as i post this. I am sure it will be back up soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: thetrucker

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
I started with a cheap AAA flashlight and a USB charger for an RN4081.

I unscrewed the tip of the flashlight and pushed out the plastic lens and bezel. I then took the lens and started twisting a pocket knife in the center. This was the time consuming part that made me wish I had some drill bits and a drill. I had to do that till I made a hole large enough for a 901 batter thread to fit through.

Then I took apart the RN4081 USB charger and took out the fitting but kept the 1" wires attached. I striped the end of the wires and twisted the bare wires so each one came to a nice point.

I then placed the plastic lens over the fitting I took from the USB charger like it was a washer around the fitting. I then screwed on a 901 atomizer that sandwiched the whole thing together nicely. The 4081 fitting is actually a bit longer than the 901 atomizer is deep so it was just pure luck it all fit together so well.

I pulled the bulb from the flashlight body and carefully inserted the two wires into the contact points where the bulb was previously inserted. This was not as time consuming but much tougher than making the hole in the lens. Suffice it to say this step involved needle nose pliers, tweezers and more than a few curse words.

Then holding the atomizer to keep it from spinning and twisting the wires, I screwed the flashlight head back on. The last part was putting in a a 10440 battery and enjoying a good vape with it.

I have probably taken about 50+ hits from it now as I have been using it pretty much non stop since i finished building it about an hour ago and it is pretty cool.

I hate that I am a flashlight sucker but kinda giddy like a little girl that I whipped it together myself from a few things that happen to be on my desk. I actually did the entire thing, from idea to completion, without ever leaving my desk chair.

DW

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
Yay, just did the same thing.
But I can't test it :oops: .
Still waiting on my Dealextreme batts.
Biggest pain was fiddling with those tiny wires.
Bravo muldrick, nice work.

I went to Radio Shack today. I had some interest in getting more batteries to work with but they looked at me like I had 4 heads when I asked for a 3.7v ICR10440 rechargeable lithium battery. One of the guys tapped away at the computer for a few secconds then told me there is no such battery by that number and asked if I was making it up.

Interestingly, I was not at all surprised that going to RS was a complete waste of my time.

DW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread