I got a new tank from a friend and it has pieces that I don't know the purpose of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rammstein

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2014
Green Bay, USA
The tank He Gave Me Is A SMOKE TFV12 Prince tank:
And it came with what appears to be green O-Rings (2 of them) about half an inch in diameter does anyone know what these are for? Aside from the color, they look like the ones pictured below. (I know what the white thing is used for it's the O-Rings that I am not sure about).

(The manual didn't tell me and I went onto the company website where it said the full manual was but couldn't find it.)

719iCZ2AVbL._SX425_.jpg

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
And it came with what appears to be green O-Rings (2 of them) about half an inch in diameter does anyone know what these are for?

Every new tank usually comes with a plastic bag containing some spare parts, mostly spare o-rings. But I've never seen a tank that only comes with 2 o-rings. You should have gotten a full set of replacement o-rings. Were those green o-rings in a plastic bag? Did you look inside the tank? Any green o-rings there?

rammstein

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2014
Green Bay, USA
Take a look at the o rings already installed on the tank. Those are simply replacements should the originals wear out or be damaged.

I know that but there don't appear to be any O-Rings of any kind that came on the tank (and the tank is new so I don't think they broke if they were originally on there in the first place), do you happen to have any idea where they go?
I've only ever used that first white one in the picture, never an O-Ring I haven't the foggiest where they belong.

• Optimistic
Reactions: ShowMeTwice

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
The Smok tanks I had came with two color gaskets for the glass tank section (the orange ones in the picture in your first post). They were replacements, and also to change the look of the tank. Let's say if you were to put a black tank on a green mod, you could swap the gaskets out to the green ones to match the mod.

For those orange ones pictured, the larger one goes on the bottom of the glass, and the smaller one goes on the top, if I remember correctly. But I very well could have those mixed up, it's been a while since I messed with a tank.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Thank you for showing me that video :D I put the O-Rings on as it said but I still don't know what their purpose is. Could you enlighten me?

The O rings are to seal the various pieces of the tank from leaking air and or liquid, those that meet / seal with glass also provide a slight bit of protection from glass to metal contact.

If your new tank didn't come with any O rings installed that would indicate a manufacturing mistake / defect, or the tank isn't new or a possible clone/fake.
Or maybe the person that gave it to you disassembled to clean / wash it so it was ready to use and in the process lost the O rings or didn't pay attention to where they went & left them out.

I've never heard of a tank that doesn't come fully assembled with all o rings & seals in place as they should be.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Thank you for showing me that video :D I put the O-Rings on as it said but I still don't know what their purpose is. Could you enlighten me?
I don't imagine that they're any different than any other o-ring in that they're there to make a seal so that you don't get leakages between two separate non fused parts. I apologize if I'm not understanding the question. Basically rubber or silicone will help to make the seal since it's somewhat malleable compared to a glass against metal where there could never be a true seal. Because two very hard surfaces are not going to seal as well as to hard surfaces with a rubbery one in the middle. I didn't watch the video and I don't have any smok products but I don't imagine smoks doing anything different with O-rings than anyone else other than maybe making them matchy so that you can customize your device with O-rings

Reactions: Eskie

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
If it is completely unused like your friend didn't disassemble it for cleaning ( if your friend didn't do that you should do that before use machine oil tastes terrible trust me) it should have come with the O-rings already in the places that they're meant to be and then a full spare set which usually has a variety of different sizes to fit different areas of the tank. For the most part anytime Two Pieces come together but are not fused together permanently there's going to be an O-ring there are some exceptions but not many. You may want to ask your friend in a casual way you know if there were any other things that came with it or if he cleaned it or she cleaned it that way you'll know what's going on a little bit better because it is strange not to have them already in place if it hasn't been used or open

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Smok adds different colored orings for color customization purposes. Simple as that. My old smok tanks also came with two vape bands that matched the oring colors.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if a tank made it out of the Smok factory without orings. One showed up at my local vape that they said had no glass installed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread