I got two thumbs up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAY73

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2011
CLEBURNE TX
well on friday i had to go to the ER they told me i have (i hope i spell this right) PLANTAR FACEITES(?) well any way it is a tearing of the tendons and muscles from my heel to the ball of my foot, hurts like hell. any way when he asked me if i smoke i proudly told him i quit smoking and that i vape now at 18mg/ml three to four ml'/day and he told me i loved it when true vapors come in because we are well informed about our addiction and can tell him what our nic consumption is instead of down playing or out right lieing about smoking..

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I have had plantar fasciitis for a long time, and it can get really bad first thing in the morning if I had done a lot of walking the day before.

When that happens I do a stretch that my mother taught me (she also had plantar fasciitis) and it fixes it right up.
I stand with the balls of my feet on the edge of a stair, and then let my heels slowly drop down below the stair level.

I hold that position for about 20 seconds, then raise all the way up on my toes, and do it again.
If it was really bad I do it a third time.
:)

Now I am no doctor, and I don't remember where my mother learned this technique, but it works.
Whether it is a bad idea or not, I have no idea, nor do I know what a podiatrist would say about doing it.

durgidog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
memphis, tn
www.thomasin.com
It took me 9 months to get over PF, rolling your (bare or stockinged) foot over a tennis ball can help too. Proper arch support is so important, and inserts really helped me. Also, my Dr. told me to wear shoes/sandals with decent arch support at all times while at home, walking barefoot makes it much worse. Luckily a lot of my shoes have proper support already, including my flip flops. I'm sorry you're going through this, good luck!

Glad to hear about your Dr.'s attitude toward vapers.

JENerationX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2011
Rochester, NY
I have had plantar fasciitis for a long time, and it can get really bad first thing in the morning if I had done a lot of walking the day before.

When that happens I do a stretch that my mother taught me (she also had plantar fasciitis) and it fixes it right up.
I stand with the balls of my feet on the edge of a stair, and then let my heels slowly drop down below the stair level.

I hold that position for about 20 seconds, then raise all the way up on my toes, and do it again.
If it was really bad I do it a third time.

Now I am no doctor, and I don't remember where my mother learned this technique, but it works.
Whether it is a bad idea or not, I have no idea, nor do I know what a podiatrist would say about doing it.

This works. I now have it, and my mother told me to do this one too. LOL

If you don't have stairs, you can do this by putting the ball of your foot against a wall, filing cabinet etc, heel on the ground at about a 45 degree angle, and push your knee towards the wall. Your goal is to stretch that tendon and get it to loosen up for you.

My problem is I do the stretching every day, and then when it stops hurting, I forget about it and the pain comes back one morning.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have PF in both feet. I stand on hard concrete floors all day (operating room). What has helped me:

I wear "rocker" soled shoes. MBT is the brand of shoes I wear (google them; couple hundred dollars each, but they WORK and last me an entire year wearing daily), but there are cheaper knock offs. The soles are curved, especially the rear 1/3. This simulates the "rolling on the ball" exercise described above. Just normal walking and standing in these shoes stretches the plantar faecia throughout the day. Takes a couple of days to adjust to the soles and is kinda strange at first, but they really do work. Use approved by my podiatrist.

The inserts you get from Dr. Scholl's, you know, you stand on the electronic kiosk thingy that analyzes your feet and weight distribution. Myers, Walmart, and other stores have these usually near their pharmacy depts. The inserts will run you about $50. Inexpensive when you consider that custom made inserts from a podiatrist will run you a few hundred dollars before insurance. (what a ripoff).

had PF bad because of my job. I'd end up walking like an old crippled person my feet hurt so bad after an entire shift. It was cured after using both the shoes and the inserts. My only other options were either steroid shots into the bottom of my foot or surgery.

durgidog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
memphis, tn
www.thomasin.com
Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I might have to look into those shoes.

I get mine from a specialty shoe store in a mall. The Walking Company, I think. Once you know your correct, measured size, you can order them online cheaper. These are well made, high quality shoes built to last thru high use.

Like I said, there are cheaper knockoffs once you know what to look for. Those Sketcher shape-ups are one of the cheaper brands. About 75% of the other people I work with in the operating room wear these because we all put our feet thru the same abuse every day. We also have 3/4" rubber mats that we stand on at the operating room table during surgery.

Last edited:

starsflashgordon

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Iowa, USA
Hi, just wanted to jump in about the MBTs...Massai Barefoot Technology (and they are a "medical device"...) ANYWHO, I have four pairs of them. They last forever and are extremely well-made. If you go to the MBT website, you'll find an explanation of how and why they work so well. They are kind of like standing on a 2" pipe across the middle of the bottom of your foot. I find myself rocking back and forth on them while in line at the store. Long pant legs drag at the back of the leg due to the heal being so soft. After the first half day of wearing them, I was so tired and realized they had worked me hard! I've found some good ones on eBay at a good price...also different retailers sell discontinued styles at good prices. Yup, they're weird, but really great after your body gets accustomed to them...a week or two anyway. Best wishes!

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
I have had it in one foot for about six weeks. Finally went to the Urgent Care one weekend because there was no way I could go back to work. They did x-ray and found I had developed a bone spur too.

Took off work for a week. Went to the podiatrist and got a cortisone shot. Back to work for a week. It got so bad I went back to the podiatrist, got another shot, RX of prednisone, and off work another week.

Now worked since Monday. It is still very sore. Even up my calf muscle since my gait is off. I can't bare to stand for more than a couple minutes. Can't take pain pills at work. Walking yesterday kicked the pain up so much last night I couldn't hardly walk.

Allergic to anti-inflammatory meds.

I spend all last week sitting down, with ice on my heel, and my foot up. I only walked to go to another spot to sit or to do a little bit and then sit back down.

I have custom orthotics that I wear in house shoes. I wear my Birkenstocks when out. I try not to ever go barefoot.

I have had this before and it took months before all the pain was gone.

I don't like it one bit! The pain is like stepping on a very sharp rock and the rock stays glued to your foot!

Update: Another shot in my heel. That's three. Will go back in two weeks. Of course I would rather have to cancel the apt because it is all better!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread