I had a dream about smoking the other night...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
I haven't smoked for over a year now, so I'm wondering my my subconscious decided to revisit that dropped bad habit? It's kind of amazing how strong a hold those cancer sticks can take in our lives.

I don't recall the specifics of the dream. I was never good at that. The details are always hazy after the fact. I do remember (in my dream) smoking two cigarettes and feeling that doing so held some undefined significance for me. I don't know if it was guilt, pleasure, or what. It must have stirred some pretty strong emotions because I rarely remember any dreams at all.

I don't miss smoking. I'm so proud of myself for putting them down and not picking them up again. The dream didn't reawaken any suppressed urges or anything like that, so I'm just a little baffled about the whole thing.

Today I had to lean in close to talk to an attractive young lady. I was taking her to jail. (Don't get arrested for weed, bond out, and go back to smoking weed before you appear in court. That will always bite you in the ....) While getting her basic information for the booking paperwork, I detected the stale, unpleasant, aroma of cigarette smoke on her. I sure as hell don't miss smelling like that.

Just rambling because they let me get away with it around here. :)

olwildbill

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2010
Kansas City Missouri
Sorry to hear you had a dream about that Nasty habit we all use to have if it would make you feel any better I would be more than happy to tell you about the dream I had last night. Alot of smoke and fire heck even my pillow looked different and unlike you I can remember every juicy detail!!!(but caint remember her name) Thank doG for DREAMS!!!

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
I agree that it's really funny how cigs has taken a hold of us. Remember that I was coughing up tar a few years ago and proceeded to keep smoking. And yes, that's how strong my addiction was but, luckily I found ecigs recently. Now, all I have to worry about it buying more juice and atty's/cartos.

Just stay strong man and you'll be alright. I have to put up with the urge every time I go out with friends. All of them smoke and I'm off in the distance with my REO. Since I can't stand the smell and I don't want to ever smoke again neither.

zenoland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
Central Florida
I used to dream of smoking when I went cold turkey a few times in my life. When I would wake up I would be annoyed because I hadn't enjoyed it. What better way to smoke but in your dreams only when you really crave cigs. :)

When I started vaping I allowed myself a smoke or two, thinking that was what I really craved, till I could no longer even bring the cig to my mouth because it smelled so terribly. Haven't had a dream about smoking since I turned to vaping almost a year and a half ago.

mkp

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2009
Central Florida
I think you're right, that it's more about how strong the psychological addiction is than that any physical urge is reasserting itself.

It was months before I vaped in a dream, and every so often a cigarette will still creep in (made memorable when my dream-self does a double-take: "SMOKING?")

After 2 1/2 years, the occasional dream hiccup doesn't make me feel any more "at risk" than the bald fact of addiction does. I firmly choose vaping and celebrate that cigs aren't part of my waking life anymore.

rustybikes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2011
Concord, NC
I've long believed/perceived that, having been a smoker for roughly 30 years, dreams of smoking would be a part of the process of quitting. I've known numerous ex-smokers over the years that have commented that they still have smoking dreams, even after years since their last. My experience has done nothing to convince me otherwise - I've always had smoking dreams during quit attempts over the years, and fully expected to since I started vaping. I was not disappointed. I think it has a lot to do with how much a part of my life smoking had been - a kind of "permanent damage" perhaps - but I'm not actually smoking, so I decided to try an experiment.

I decided that I would try to remember that it's just a dream next time to try to make it more of a lucid dream, where I could control things. That actually kinda worked. (!) The last time I dreamt of smoking, I did know it was a dream, and was able to actually enjoy, guilt-free, smoking in that context. Because it was a dream, the analog I was smoking tasted just like Dekang RY4 (my daily-vape), so it was yummy. I remember waking up, having all that rush forward into conscious memory and didn't feel guilty or craving or anything. I can live with that.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I have Night Owl circadian cycle; all of my life. It is typical for those of us in this group to do most of our dreaming later in sleep cycle than "morning people" That's one reason it takes us longer to wake up fully when on a normal, for others, sleep cycle and function better on night shifts. One advantage to late dreaming is increased ability to remember dreams. As a 40+ year 2 Pack a day smoker and 3 PAD last 10 years with serious nic withdrawal symptoms during some attempts to quit I'm suprised to hear that it so common to dream about smoking when switching to vaping. I've been vaping for 1.5 years and I'm not aware of having any dreams where I've smoked. Interesting.

Feisty Alice

Sent from REOdroid using Dave's Squonk application

rustybikes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2011
Concord, NC
It still embarrasses me that THAT cig smell was all over me and that anyone that leaned in to speak to me will always remember that I smelled like that! :facepalm:

Thank goodness those days are gone! ;)

I think the smell issue is a bit more traumatising to me than the dreams.

The other day, I stopped at the grocery store on the way home. As I was walking down one of the isles, an attractive woman started approaching from the other end of the isle. As she approached, I was thinking "hey, she's kinda cute. oh look - no ring.." (I'm a guy - sue me. :D). But, as we passed each other, I caught a whiff of that familiar odour that practically screams "I'm a smoker! Deal with it." She was suddenly no longer all that attractive.
rustybikes-albums-emotes-picture78056-emot-sigh.gif

Delilah718

Vape Enthusiast
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2011
In the clouds
I think the smell issue is a bit more traumatising to me than the dreams.

The other day, I stopped at the grocery store on the way home. As I was walking down one of the isles, an attractive woman started approaching from the other end of the isle. As she approached, I was thinking "hey, she's kinda cute. oh look - no ring.." (I'm a guy - sue me. :D). But, as we passed each other, I caught a whiff of that familiar odour that practically screams "I'm a smoker! Deal with it." She was suddenly no longer all that attractive.
rustybikes-albums-emotes-picture78056-emot-sigh.gif

awwwww...I think that you should have introduced yourself and your REO :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread