I hate the use of the word 'analog' to describe cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

makasin

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2010
San Diego
Does anybody agree with me?
It's probably because Im an electrical engineer and when I hear the term analog, I think analog voltages.
It's not like we are vaping digitally or anything guys. Probably nobody cares, but I thought I would start this thread so we can discuss this (probably for the 100th time). Why cant ppl just refer to them a cigarettes? That's what they are isnt it?
Do you mean analog as in analogous to ecigarettes? Because that is technically incorrect, as ecigs are analogs of cigarettes. Also, ecigs are electrically analog, just like your amplifiers or LPs. They are by definition a set voltage that changes over time. Digital means that there is logic involved, and digital is even a subset of analog. There is no logic circuitry (apart maybe from the darwin) in ecigs. Even those mosfet buttons are analog circuits.
Maybe im just overanalyzing this and being a nerd, but thats my :2c:.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
From the Urban Dictionary -

Analog Cigarette
The common traditional cigarette, a crude, old-fashioned nicotine delivery device, consisting of processed tobacco wrapped in a paper tube, from which smoke is inhaled after being lit.

So named to differentiate it from the more modern and less harmful electronic cigarette.
Dude, you're still smoking analog cigarettes? Get with the tech and vape, man!

I don't think it's a term people use outside of a message board. I would never say, "Sue is outside smoking an analog." They'd think I was on crack. It's just message board lingo.

nbourbaki

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
Cincinnati
I understand it's not a perfect analogy, but I believe the term derives from Smoking a Cig = real thing, and in some peoples mind that equates to analog. Vaping is the approximation of that real thing. Right or wrong or whatever term is used, I much prefer vaping to smoking. So now at least for me, vaping is the real thing.

Poppa D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I agree, but I think these terms are meant for the computer and forum discussion.
I don't use these odd terms in my daily life, I'd have to define my language/slang at every turn. I smoke an electronic cigarette, which is a battery driven device that delivers a harmless vapor that looks like smoke.
And cigarettes are still just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread