Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
So I built a 45 ohm rda and I am putting 75 watts into it. I expected it to turn red like in the videos but all I see is buring (which means it is heating up. When My mod sees the automizer though everytime I turn on my mod it shows it is .1 ohms higher before. Could this be a connection problem?
What mod?

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
What type of wire are you using? SS resistance may rise slowly a bit as it's first used (and cool as it returns to room temperature.) That may be your issue, but answering all the prior questions is going to give you your best answers. It's very hard to even guess at what is happening without a LOT more information.

Hopefully you can provide it. It could be anything, realistically at this point, your mod, your build your settings, etc

Anna

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
34 gauge. 5 raps
34 AWG wire is not going to get to anywhere near 0.45 Ω unless it's Ni200 in which case you need to be in TC mode.

34 AWG Ka1 2.5 mm 5 wrap = 3.5 Ω
34 AWG Ni80 2.5 mm 5 wrap = 2.6 Ω
34 AWG SS316L 2.5 mm 5 wrap = 1.8 Ω
34 AWG Ni200 2.5 mm 5 wrap = .24 Ω

All measurements are for single coil. Dual coil will be 1/2 the resistance.

If it was a typo, and you meant 24 AWG Ka1, you'd be closer... Around .42 Ω.

Best guesses? You've got a weak battery, you're in the wrong mode (TC vs Power), or you're attempting to exceed the mod's spec (voltage, amp limits).

When asking questions like this, it's really really really helpful to include all the info... Mod, build (diameter, gauge, wraps, number of coils, and wire used), battery in use, etc...

StrikeV1

May 28, 2018
Falmouth, MA
34 AWG wire is not going to get to anywhere near 0.45 Ω unless it's Ni200 in which case you need to be in TC mode.

34 AWG Ka1 2.5 mm 5 wrap = 3.5 Ω
34 AWG Ni80 2.5 mm 5 wrap = 2.6 Ω
34 AWG SS316L 2.5 mm 5 wrap = 1.8 Ω
34 AWG Ni200 2.5 mm 5 wrap = .24 Ω

All measurements are for single coil. Dual coil will be 1/2 the resistance.

If it was a typo, and you meant 24 AWG Ka1, you'd be closer... Around .42 Ω.

Best guesses? You've got a weak battery, you're in the wrong mode (TC vs Power), or you're attempting to exceed the mod's spec (voltage, amp limits).

When asking questions like this, it's really really really helpful to include all the info... Mod, build (diameter, gauge, wraps, number of coils, and wire used), battery in use, etc...

Ok. I’ll just make my own coils. How many times should I rap stainless steel 24 gauge wire. And is it ok to use artistic wire?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Ok. I’ll just make my own coils. How many times should I rap stainless steel 24 gauge wire. And is it ok to use artistic wire?
I wouldn't use artistic wire. Wire used in rebuildables are cheap enough that it doesn't really make sense to risk it. Chances are the artistic wire will have an undesirable coating.

Follow this link to a site that will help you calculate your coil builds.
Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Edit- After a quick google search, artistic wire is typically copper wire coated with another type of metal like stainless steel (or something else), and not solid stainless steel. I would not use it for vaping at all.

Last edited:

StrikeV1

May 28, 2018
Falmouth, MA
I wouldn't use artistic wire. Wire used in rebuildables are cheap enough that it doesn't really make sense to risk it. Chances are the artistic wire will have an undesirable coating.

Follow this link to a site that will help you calculate your coil builds.
Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Edit- After a quick google search, artistic wire is typically copper wire coated with another type of metal like stainless steel (or something else), and not solid stainless steel. I would not use it for vaping at all.
What’s a good wire to use that I could get at a store or on amazon

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
What’s a good wire to use that I could get at a store or on amazon
Nichrome 80 - 100' - 24 Gauge Resistance Wire https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJ2JG6D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_efXgBbHH16XXE

[RBA DEPOT] 24 GAUGE AWG PREMIUM STAINLESS STEEL SS316L WIRE [100FT] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HDZPBJE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZfXgBbK0RA2JD

Kanthal A1 - 100 ft. 24 Gauge/ Kanthal A1 Resistance Wire AWG https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077D98NW9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4gXgBb62ZF02J

All three of these will work fine. As suggested before, use Steam-Engine.org to calculate your coil, and check yiur coil on a resistance reader before use.

Note, I am not endorsing any of these wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread