I have access to some equipment, should I...

Status
Not open for further replies.

berktt

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2010
NYC
So, I'm an Electrical & Computer Engineering student, and I have access to all this equipment I can use in the lab, you know, like the Digital Multi-Meter (DMM), oscilloscope, and most importantly, a DC generator that generates up to 30 V :) What do you guys think, maybe it's time to do some experimentation see how for I can push an atomizer :D I'm still new to vaping, haven't really thought about it until now. I was wondering if anybody else here who did something similar could give me some tips?

mendnwngs

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
Central California
You could try upping the voltage to 12-20v, but drive it with a moderately high speed pwm.

I don't know much about these attys, but I can only assume theyre simply a resistive load, perhaps high voltage, current limited by pulse-width might offer an advantage? Perhaps no V-drop when the atty is turned on, causing a more robust vapor?

I don't know.. Just spitballing.

A PWM in the 30+KHz switching range, so its at least out of human hearing range?

-Jason

Theophage

Sep 28, 2010
South East USA
So, I'm an Electrical & Computer Engineering student, and I have access to all this equipment I can use in the lab, you know, like the Digital Multi-Meter (DMM), oscilloscope, and most importantly, a DC generator that generates up to 30 V :) What do you guys think, maybe it's time to do some experimentation see how for I can push an atomizer :D I'm still new to vaping, haven't really thought about it until now. I was wondering if anybody else here who did something similar could give me some tips?

I would be inclined to use a lab power supply with both voltage and current controls.
The change in resistance of the heater is probably pretty small as long as the heater is wet.
It would be interesting to see how much power a couple of different attys require to become red hot.
Working with some different gauges of nichrome heater wire might be entertaining.
If I was made of money, I might rewire some attys with platinum-iridium instead of nichrome. ;)

Theophage

Sep 28, 2010
South East USA
You could try upping the voltage to 12-20v, but drive it with a moderately high speed pwm.
I don't know much about these attys, but I can only assume theyre simply a resistive load, perhaps high voltage, current limited by pulse-width might offer an advantage? Perhaps no V-drop when the atty is turned on, causing a more robust vapor?
I don't know.. Just spitballing.
A PWM in the 30+KHz switching range, so its at least out of human hearing range?
-Jason

I like the pulse width modulation concept. Ideally, a fairly simple controller would heat the atty quickly without reaching the temperature at which the e-juice to turns into carbonized crap. This would also allow for the atty to get the same power until the battery was exhausted. The battery could beep or flash to indicate when it is nearing discharge. Many enhancements are possible.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I am a GUY from L.A. not girl. lol
Sorry to be a downer, but I really don't see the point. I have never heard of anyone who wants more coil wattage than 10w. I really don't understand the reason how would this accoplish anything. At 30v you eould have more than 50watt from a atty that can't even handle 10 watt. Just seems wastefull and pointless. Again, I am sorry if this seems insulting, I don't mean it that way. It';s just that even if you more than double a 510 standard watt, you will pop the atty, and everyone knows that...from experience. That is why they're are already high volt attys. The big deal that you have the equipment to do is try and creat a bulletproof, or easily mended atty coil/

Theophage

Sep 28, 2010
South East USA
Sorry to be a downer, but I really don't see the point. I have never heard of anyone who wants more coil wattage than 10w ...

Actually, I can't imagine why anyone would want as much as 10 Watts. That kind of power will certainly generate a bunch of vapor and/or a bunch of nasty decomposition products and carbon.

E-cigs are a good idea, and a triumph of marketing - or something. They could be described as elegantly simple, or from another viewpoint, rather crude. Attys accomplish the job of vaporizing the liquid, but they have no mechanism to control the temperature of the coil, or the rate that liquid is supplied to the coil. For repeatable behavior, these controls are necessary, but would make the device more complicated and expensive. E-cigs are relatively new and will continue to improve.

With a NASA budget, some very impressive innovations would be possible, but interested users can also create significant improvements, it just takes a little time.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Hey, what's with all the downers? If you've got a spare atty you won't miss... why the hell not!?

That said... I wouldn't try to vape it - I'd just see how much it could take until it died. But, if you do vape it, put 100% PG liquid in it. Under normal circumstances (3.2v to 6v), VG is safe to vape, but at very high temps, it decomposes into acrolein. Not stuff you want to be inhaling. So, add that to your list of safety precautions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread