The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

I have an old battery that I am looking to upgrade, what should I look for?

Discussion in 'APV and Mods Discussion' started by rammstein, Oct 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. rammstein

rammstein Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2014
    Green Bay, USA
    I have two Eleaf iStick TC40W and they are getting very old. I use a SMOK TFV 12 PRINCE Tank which I am satisfied with and the battery should have a compatible connection (or adapter) However, I will change my tank eventually if I must. This is the link to the tank: TFV12 Prince - SMOK® Innovation keeps changing the vaping experience!
    The TC40W not only doesn't power it well but the temperature control is virtually useless.

What I am looking for is a long-lasting sub ohm battery that looks cool (preferably) and preferably not too bulky but it can be. And have preferably 80 watts or more and if there are any other features I am unaware of as I haven't been looking in ages please let me know.
    Thanks for reading this. :) Have a nice day.

• Like Like x 1
  2. VapourFlavour

VapourFlavour Moved On

Oct 16, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    To clarify, you're not looking for a battery, you're looking for a mod with an internal battery?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Smok doesn't make coils that work in temp control, wattage only, which is probably why it's not working for you.

If you want a mod to power a typical Smok tank, a single battery option could be something like an Aegis. Big, bulky, but destruction proof of you're into that. Dual battery choices range from an Innokin Proton (very nice mod), vaporesso polar or luxe, or a whole bunch of others I'm sure others will pipe in with.

A Smok tank uses a standard 510 connector which will match up with essentially every contemporary mod on the market.

BTW, this info could be way more helpful with a budget in mind and location for availability.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. United States

United States Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    So,

Are you looking to find a battery box that is same size as the istick you have? Does it have to have an internal battery? Is at least 80 watts a must have?
    What's your price range?

I'd reccomend the JAC Vapour Sandstorm except it uses replaceable battery and maxes out at 75 watts. Perhaps an Aegis 100, but again replaceable battery and is larger than your istick. The YiHi SX mini SL Class is a goody, but it's pricey and uses a replaceable battery.

My wife loves her Vapresso Armor Pro, but again a replaceable battery. She charges it via usb cord and once a month we swap the cell and charge the former in a charger.

• Like Like x 4
  5. VapourFlavour

VapourFlavour Moved On

Oct 16, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    I've yet to hear any negative comments about the Armor Pro, seems like Vaporesso is doing a good job. I had a Vaporesso mod with nrg tank before I upgraded and started building and found their Ccell coils were great for longevity and flavor.

• Like Like x 2
  6. United States

Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    I read a review that went over my head in terms of some kind of short max pulse upon fire that would be a factor for the MTL user, but it's a sub-ohm device in a practical sense.
    Vaporesso Armour pro Kit review
    (I guess it murders dainty mtl builds?)

I'm not into sub-ohm so it wasn't for me but my wife gets great enjoyment at 30 watts with the supplied tank opened about 25%.

The fire button is the length of the dark area yet is not plagued with misfire when holding it. She changed all kinds of settings without having to look it up on the internet. She chose the white version for its gold accents.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I don't know what coils you are using in your Prince tank, but most of them require much higher wattage settings than your 40 watt mod can produce (see the fine print below for recommended wattages). And as someone else said, SMOK's coils are not compatible for Temp control. They use kanthal wire which is not compatible for TC.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. rammstein

rammstein Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2014
    Green Bay, USA
    I do not care about temperature control at all (sorry I should have made that clear) 2.) No, it does not have to be the same size 3.) The price should be under 100 dollars preferably (but it can be much higher), however, I don't want a replaceable battery (if you buy the batteries to go inside it and they are rechargeable that is fine, however.) I would like 100 watts or over if possible without getting non-rechargeable batteries (I know I said 80 but changed my mind)
    BTW I loved the look of the display on the Innokin Proton 235W. <--does it have rechargeable batteries because I love that display.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Baditude

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I'm not going to recommend a particular mod for you here, but I will say you should choose a dual battery mod which can provide the power your tank's coils will require. The batteries you choose will determine the highest wattage setting you can use. Use the chart below to choose which batteries you'll require:

Are you using a single, dual, or triple battery mod? In the interests of keeping things simple:

-If you use a good quality 15 amp CDR battery like the Samsung 30Q or Sony VTC6, then you are good up to 45 watts per battery; 90 watts using two; 135 watts for three batteries.

-If you use a good quality 20 amp CDR battery like the LG HG2 or Samsung 25R then you are good for 60 watts per battery. If using a 2-battery regulated mod, you're good for 120 watts as you have two batteries. If you are using a 3-battery mod, you're good for 180.

-If you use a single 25 amp CDR battery like the Sony VTC5A, then you are good for 75 watts per battery, 150 watts for two batteries, and 225 watts with three.

-If you use a single 30 amp CDR battery like the LG HB6 you are good up to 90 watts; with a pair of 30 amp CDR batteries you could safely do 180 watts.​

WATTAGE PER SINGLE BATTERY on REGULATED MOD:
    (Total wattage doubles using 2 batteries; Triples using 3 batteries.)

Up to 45W:
    Samsung 18650 30Q, 3000 mah 15 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Sony 18650VTC6 3000mAh 15 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Up to 60W:
    LG 18650HG2 3000mah 20 amp CDR [​IMG]
    LG 18650HE4 2500 mah 20 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Samsung 18650-25R, 2500 mah 20 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Sanyo UR18650NSX, 2500 mah 20 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Sony 18650VTC5, 2600 mah 20 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Sony 18650VTC4, 2100 mah 23 amp CDR [​IMG]

Up to 75W:
    LG 18650 HD4 2100 mah 25 amp CDR [​IMG]
    LG 18650 HD2 2000 mah 25 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Samsung 18650-24S, 2500 mah 25 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Sony 18650VTC5A, 2500 mah 25 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Up to 90W:
    LG18650HB6 1500mah 30 amp CDR [​IMG]
    LG18650HB2 1500mAh 30 amp CDR [​IMG]
    LG18650HB4 1500mAh 30 amp CDR [​IMG]
    Samsung 18650-20S 2000mah 30 amp CDR [​IMG]
    You'll need a Li-ion battery charger with these batteries. Don't recharge your batteries via the internal micro-USB. Save that port for firmware upgrades via your computer.

Guide to Choosing a Li-ion Battery Charger

• Like Like x 5
  10. Baditude

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    All of the batteries that we use for vaping are rechargeable. Your choices are a mod that uses internal rechargeable batteries that can not be removed or a mod that uses external (removeable) batteries that are rechargeable.

Most experienced vapers choose a mod which uses external batteries. It's faster and safer charging and the batteries can be monitored more closely in an external charger. In addition, when the batteries eventually die, you can simply buy new batteries for about $6 - 10 and continue to use the same mod. With internal battery mods, when the nonremoveable battery dies, you have to buy a new mod.

The Proton uses two external batteries. You'll need to purchase a Li-ion battery charger. Two 20 amp batteries will allow you to reach 120 watts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    I have a Proton. It is a very nice mod with a well laid out screen and easy to use menu. It uses two removable rechargeable 18650 batteries and @Baditude already covered selection well I rely on 2 Samsung 25R batteries which are true 20A batteries and I use a separate external 4 bay charger from Nitecore ( I have other mods and all take 18650s, the most common used in vape mods these days) so a 4 bay charger is a convenience. I use the mod at 60-80W and the battery life is fine, close to a full day if in heavy use.

As Baditude pointed out, all the removable batteries are rechargeable. The non-removable internal batteries also recharge, but only inside the mod, and when they reach the end of their duty cycle the mod becomes essentially a brick unless you're very talented at disassembly and soldering in a new battery that will likely be difficult to even find.

• Like Like x 2
  12. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    “Rechargeable batteries” may be the wrong term. All ecig batteries are rechargeable. Not all are replaceable. What I think you are trying to say is that you need a mod with USB charging. There are a couple reasons this is not recommended however, especially with multiple battery mods. While I personally would recommend the use of a dedicated battery charger for various reasons I’m sure you have your reasons too. In your case a really hefty LiPo mod is probably your best bet. The Tesla three or aspire typhoon might be a good choice if you can still find one

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. United States

Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    The Tesla one might be worth looking at.

• Like Like x 1
  14. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    I have a Proton it's a two battery mod with a rather nice compact form factor. I really like it a lot and I like Innoken personally they're just nicely designed and solid.

It should deliver the wattages you need for an all day vape (2 battery mod) but that will also depend on the batteries selected and what wattage you wind up at. Baditude has kind of covered that for you, but I like the proton enough to recommend it to others.

Good luck I think you will enjoy your vaping experience more if you get a more modern and up to date mod, you will find your tank and coils vape better with the ability to achieve higher wattages.

Have fun and happy vaping!

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  15. tailland

tailland Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 11, 2018
    Germany
    Mods with internal (non-replacable, but USB-rechargeable) batteries for >100W output:

Aspire Typhon
    Eleaf Aster RT 100W
    Eleaf IStick Nowos
    Eleaf IStick QC
    Eleaf Tessera
    Innokin MVP4
    Innokin Cool Fire IV TC
    Kangvape Lover
    Kangertech Vola
    Kangertech Iken
    Kangertech Pollex
    Smoant Rabox
    Smok V-Fin
    Teslacigs Nano 100W
    Voopoo Caliber
    Wismec Sinuous FJ200
    Xomo GT Laser

Have fun looking those up.
    That's a very exclusive club you want to join.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.