I have the provari and the MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smedley

Feb 28, 2014
Boston, MA
Got each about 1 month ago. Forgetting price for a moment, it is clear to me which is better, at least after a month of very heavy use.

The MVP2 is much, much better. In every way. It is solid as a rock, holds a charge much longer, more tanks fit on it. Perhaps the best thing is that it charges from a standard mini USB. I can charge it at my desk, in my car, etc. My phone charger charges it. Heck, any USB charger charges it. It is smaller and more discrete than the provari. Also, the provari is really annoying to adjust. Cycling thru the menu is reminiscent of the first digital LED digital watches. Honestly, using the menu on the Provari is like being transported to the 70's. if you pass your selection, you have to go all the way around again. Once you kae your selection you have to wait a while to access that selections menu. Then, once you've made your selection, you have to wait a while for the screen to shut off. If you don't you are in danger of messing up the settings and having to start again. besides being annoying, it can result on mistakenly setting your Volts much, much higher than intended.

Finally, and for me this is the absolute decider: It has variable Watts as well as Voltage. I don't pretend to understand what the watts/volts thing is really all about and how they work with each other in relation to ohms, etc. (nor do I really care - it's enough for me to understand that its about more/less power, heat, etc.) But it is a fact that many times it is the adjustment of Watts, not Volts that 'opens up' the flavors and qualities of an ejuice.

Yes, the Provari is very pretty, solid as hell and feels great in your hand. It feels similar to a maglite, and that's a good thing. But even if they were priced the same, I'd take the MVP2 in a heartbeat.

It's $200 vs $50... even if the MVP turns out to need replacement after a year, it's a no-brainer. I'm definately NOT trying to start a flame war, I just want to share my findings with people who are on the fence and with whom a $200 investment matters. I'm glad I have both, since I love toys but hopefully if you have to pick one, this helps a little.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Finally, and for me this is the absolute decider: It has variable Watts as well as Voltage. I don't pretend to understand what the watts/volts thing is really all about and how they work with each other in relation to ohms, etc. (nor do I really care - it's enough for me to understand that its about more/less power, heat, etc.) But it is a fact that many times it is the adjustment of Watts, not Volts that 'opens up' the flavors and qualities of an ejuice.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and preference. I have a MVP and three Provari's. I like both, but prefer using the Provari. I have no use for variable wattage. My :2c:

I'll have to disagree with your statement that variable wattage is preferable to variable voltage for selecting the "sweet spot" of specific flavors. Variable wattage is great if you know what wattage you prefer to vape at, but does not factor in the juice's specific sweet spot. Variable voltage is more friendly to find a juice's specific sweet spot as the increments are in 0.1 volts and not 0.2 watts.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
But it is a fact that many times it is the adjustment of Watts, not Volts that 'opens up' the flavors and qualities of an ejuice.

That is interesting, considering that adjusting watts is just another way of adjusting volts, and vice versa.

(Cue someone with a mech mod and two hours of googling under their belt to hurry and explain to me that I clearly don't understand the relation between voltage and power.)

Last edited:

MotherNatural

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The MVP has a built in battery which is not replaceable. It's charged with a mini USB cable. I use a wall charger. It's a good solid piece and the battery lasts for days before charging and it does have a long life expectancy. The Provari and Sigelei (no, I'm not comparing them to each other) use replaceable batteries. If one no longer holds a charge you buy a new battery. But you do need to buy a charger for these batteries.

Last edited:

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I also have an MVP and two provaris. I agree that the MVP is very nice. For me it is almost as good as the provari. The battery duration is great, and just being able to plug it in is very convenient. For that reason, the MVP is what I take on trips. The rest of the time I still prefer the provari. Like some others who have posted, I prefer the form factor of the provari, and the button push is more comfortable for me. I also like that when a battery finally dies, I can just replace the battery. And provape will repair a busted provari (which I did have to take advantage of after more than a year on my first provari). The watts versus voltage for me is a non-issue, as watts and voltage are just different ways of getting the same power level.

I do think the MVP is top notch, and a great device for a very reasonable price. The rest comes down to personal preference.

rabernet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
Buford, GA
I have had both the MVP2 and the Provari. Sold my MVP2 within a week to a co-worker, because I didn't care for it. It was too top heavy with any topper I put on it, and it didn't stand a chance when compared to my REO's.

I'm probably one of the few people who just didn't care for the MVP and the vape to ME was weak.

lsufan

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2013
Baton Rouge, LA
I have two MVPs. I had the first one for about 3 months and then bought the second one as a backup. About a month ago, I bought a Provari mini. I bought three different sizes of batteries and an extension so that I can use the mini with the three sizes. I have not used my MVPs since my provari arrived.

I'm keeping my MVPs as my backup units but right now I find I really like prefer my provari. I feel like my vapor production has been better with my provari but that could just be a function of my toppers or a figment of my imagination. Otherwise I feel the two perform similarly, but I like the form factor of my provari and the ability to just change out batteries rather than charge the whole unit.

Mousey

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
I use a ZMax but i've tried out an MVP a fair bit and i just can't get to liking it at all, yeah the battery in it kicks .... and it can charge your phone and stuff but i just don't like the ergonomics of a box mod. I much prefer the ZMax, The ProVari is one i haven't tried but it looks pig ugly to me so i'd probably never get one :(

As far as i can tell Volts/Watts is kinda like measuring in centimeters and millimeters, both do the same job but one is more precise because it's a smaller unit. Would you say that's about right?

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
That is interesting, considering that adjusting watts is just another way of adjusting volts, and vice versa.

(Cue someone with a mech mod and two hours of googling under their belt to hurry and explain to me that I clearly don't understand the relation between voltage and power.)

Lol...no, because I have and have been using a mech for better than 3 years....and you're right...

Well except I don't understand really why on most of the vv/vw devices I've seen you can "set" the wattage and then "set" the voltage and the display will show both values you "set"...I'm confused how with a fixed value for resistance you can adjust either the voltage or wattage without affecting the other and having your readout reflect that..

B1sh0p

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2013
Chicago
Lol...no, because I have and have been using a mech for better than 3 years....and you're right...

Well except I don't understand really why on most of the vv/vw devices I've seen you can "set" the wattage and then "set" the voltage and the display will show both values you "set"...I'm confused how with a fixed value for resistance you can adjust either the voltage or wattage without affecting the other and having your readout reflect that..

It's either in VW mode or VV mode. Your choice.

Mark Anthony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2013
Scranton, Pa USA
I have both an MVP 2 and a Provari and love them both..... I rebuild all my toppers with organic cotton and tend to use my PT2's with aero bases on my Provari and my RBA's on my MVP2. For me, while the MVP2 does have a lot of bells and whistles, I just always get a better vape from my Provari even set to the same volts with the same tank. Like I said, I am in no way putting down the MVP because I do love mine and you will NOT find a better mod in that price range period. Most of the time I have both of them sitting right beside me when I am at home. :toast:

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
It's either in VW mode or VV mode. Your choice.

At least with my friends MVP2 I was looking at...the display only gives the info that she set not the current info from any adjustment made....
In other words she sets it for 11W (highest it goes)...it shows her voltage is whatever she last set...
Go in and adjust the voltage and it stll shows that the wattage is at the previously set 11W...
The readout is realtime inaccurate...

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
At least with my friends MVP2 I was looking at...the display only gives the info that she set not the current info from any adjustment made....
In other words she sets it for 11W (highest it goes)...it shows her voltage is whatever she last set...
Go in and adjust the voltage and it stll shows that the wattage is at the previously set 11W...
The readout is realtime inaccurate...

I don't own a VW device myself, but this sounds like a good thing. It sounds like changing your settings in one mode doesn't change your setting in the other mode.

hazarada

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2013
buttville
Variable wattage is great if you know what wattage you prefer to vape at, but does not factor in the juice's specific sweet spot. Variable voltage is more friendly to find a juice's specific sweet spot as the increments are in 0.1 volts and not 0.2 watts.
Thats just not true. A 0.2w increment is still at least twice smaller than a 0.1v increment within the usual voltage range (3v - 6v). Also watts are more linear in terms of number -> experience.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread