I just bought a direct 3.7V 510 PT with a red led tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broseybrose

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
This PT has no battery box like the last one i bought. I just opened the box and plugged it in. After a 3 second puff the red light flashes then goes out. If i wait a second i can get it to light again. But i can only hold the button down for 3 seconds before it shuts itself off.

Im curious what is happening here. Does this PT need to charge? Is my USB port just too weak? Im running a monster custom rig with a high quality 600w power supply.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I would like to avoid buying an AC-USB adapter, at least until i pick up a 5V PT. :p

Here's a link to the item im talking about: http://www.indyvaporshop.com/model-510-cord-usb-passthro511.html

yhst-79066778660982_2115_4822700

Last edited:

gemini2281

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Walnut Ridge, Arkansas
Its USB 2.0. I dont have a USB to AC adapter yet, but i do have a charger for 510 batteries. It would be absurd to screw the batt end of the PT into my charger, right?

I use my PT through my old iphone charger. Gives it plenty of juice. I also run it through my Droid charger as well. Not sure about the iphone charger but I know my Droid charger will easily handle a 5v passthrough as well. If you have either of these I would try it on them to see if you have the same issue.

Broseybrose

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Here's what he had to say. Not extremely helpful, but a potential reason at least.

"The power source is most likely tripping the protection circuit in the pass through. I do not know enough about electric theory to know why it is doing that but I have heard of this happening before.

You might try the PT on a regular 5v 2amp power source and see if the same happens.

Please let me know when I can be of further assistance."

Only thing is that i dont have anything to plug it into besides my comp. Oh well, back to the in-line batt PT for now.

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I am a GUY from L.A. not girl. lol
Here's what he had to say. Not extremely helpful, but a potential reason at least.

"The power source is most likely tripping the protection circuit in the pass through. I do not know enough about electric theory to know why it is doing that but I have heard of this happening before.

You might try the PT on a regular 5v 2amp power source and see if the same happens.

Only thing is that i dont have anything to plug it into besides my comp. Oh well, back to the in-line batt PT for now.

I may be wrong(haven't worked in the comp industry for a while), but if you have a USB 1.0 hub or extension cable that might help w/ power spikes.

gemini2281

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Walnut Ridge, Arkansas
If you know anyone with an iphone or a droid wall charger you could try it on that to see if it works as it should.

gemini2281

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Walnut Ridge, Arkansas
Actually, I just thought of something...

Were you plugging it into the front USB port on your tower?

If so, try plugging it into one of the ports on the back. While the front should theoretically push the same amount of power as the back, it doesn't. The back ports are built onto the motherboard itself. The front ports are run through a wire to a plug-in on the board. The board-based ports always push just a bit more power. May be worth a try.

Broseybrose

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Thought bout that too. Im gonna try it, but it will be to no end because it wont leave me enough wire to use it comfortably.

LOL at the idea of using an ATT store iphone charger for my vaping.

Another thing i thought of is, i bought this voltmeter that i havent learned how to use yet. I dont really understand the dial or buttons or even where to touch the test pins for a signal?

14jpb21.jpg

2wp179l.jpg

Does anyone know how to use this thing?

Derp. Ok, manual has been read. Meter is set properly. The only thing i dont understand is where i would touch the conductor pins in order to get the reading. I tried both pins on different spots on my in-line batt PT -which works like a charm - and got no reading.

Whats the right way to do this?

P.S.

I hope you also noticed the drip tip i made with one of those ergonomic pen grips, a little trick i learned from Dr. Vapor. Actually, this grip is from a 5 pack of automatic pencils i found at walgreens. Theyre perfectly symmetrical but wider at the ends so you can take one, cut it in the middle, and have two.

2wc1oue.jpg

Pretty neat huh?. I drip all day. Or does everyone already know this trick?:p

LowThudd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
I am a GUY from L.A. not girl. lol
Typically, just one lead goes to the center of the batt conector/post and the other to the threads. You do have it set to DCV 20...right? Also, you can check the USB port, the pins to either extreme of the connector are the power leads. But it probably isn't the voltage as much as the amps that you're worried about. so I believe you would set it to 2000(u), but not positve about that setting. It's been a while.

Broseybrose

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
After some testing with the PT i have determined that its defective. I spent about 2 minutes getting readings on it when all of a sudden it got hot. The led was flashing and wouldnt stop. When i pressed the button, nothing happened. So i sent an email to the vendor asking to exchange it for a 5v model, since theyre the same price and i already have a 3.7 in-line batt PT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread