Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
While I commend those that take actions such as these, I also see that my voice means nothing to these people. I know this isn't what people want to hear, but it is pretty much where we are at.

Strongly disagree. There are at least 9 million adult vapers in the US (probably more).

New CDC Data: More Than 9 Million Adults Vape Regularly in the United States

If only half of them bothered to call the White House, sign a petition or respond to CASAA's calls to action, we would be in a much stronger position to change those stupid bans and regulations.

Some of us have been fighting every attempt to ban or restrict vaping for 10 years and we're not going to stop now. Please join us--every voice and every vote counts.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men (and women :)) to do nothing.”

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
One call to the White House may not have an impact. One signature of a petition may not have an impact. One march may not have an impact. Collectively, they do have the power to change.

Odds are it won't hurt, and at best be neutral. Just got to be careful what you say, if it's too over the top it can confirm vaping is for the crazy lol. Finding that line is very hard to do for sure.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
While I commend those that take actions such as these, I also see that my voice means nothing to these people. I know this isn't what people want to hear, but it is pretty much where we are at.

They clearly don't listen to reasoning or scientific research, proven by the many studies they have access to but choose to ignore.
I understand the sentiment, but I kind of disagree here. They absolutely listen to reasoning and scientific research, but only as it relates to campaigning, polling, and getting elected/re-elected. They're not listening to how bans may violate rights, trample business, or cost lives. But the only way to affect their decisions is to convince them they'll lose enough votes.

It sort of takes me back to one of the best tips I ever got in a sales seminar, decades ago: When trying to sell someone, you should picture a sticker on their forehead that says "What's in it for me?" Not just politicians, but EVERYONE makes decisions based on self interest.

And this part:
Since they are willing to go that far, my voice isn't going to be the straw that breaks that camel's back.
Same as saying "my one vote won't matter, so why vote?"

A member here (apologies for forgetting who) has a great tag line, a quote from a philosopher I guess: "No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible." (No, not that kind of snowflake!)

edit: Found it - it was @Dubminer, my Doggystyle mentor (okay, that doesn't sound right either!)

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Honestly, I don't have an hour. I have an elderly grandmother and a son with cancer that live here and requires my full attention all day. I get a few minutes here and there, but never an hour.

You don't need an hour. Call, get on speaker phone and do what you're doing. When they answer, tell them what you need to tell them. You only need 1-2 minutes. Signing petitions and responding to CASAA's CTAs takes no time whatsoever and can be done at any time--even at night.

Georgia Boy

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2019
Atlanta Georgia

They clearly don't listen to reasoning or scientific research, proven by the many studies they have access to but choose to ignore.

They have no respect for public health, proven by their willingness to turn out the public to indisputably dangerous options like smoking while removing safer options like vaping.

And they have no respect for businesses, proven by their willingness to force thousands of businesses close their doors without solid indisputable proof that it needs to happen. They know this will financially ruin a sizable group of US citizens that are only trying to make a living by making others lives better, but that doesn't matter to them at all.

Since they are willing to go that far, my voice isn't going to be the straw that breaks that camel's back. Again, I respect and appreciate all that do take this action. But it is already getting to the "out of control” proportions and if doesn't get us at the federal level, it's looking like the state level will do it anyway.
I am afraid we must agree to differ if it wasn't for people speaking up and sharing their views nothing would get done. It's your right, like your right to Vote, people who don't use those rights are usually the first to complain.................just sayin

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I understand what you all are saying and all, And I knew as I posted it that many were going to disagree, but I just shared my feelings on it. And how I feel won't change.

Same as saying "my one vote won't matter, so why vote?"
Funny thing with this statement is that I have never, and very likely will never, vote.

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
When trying to sell someone, you should picture a sticker on their forehead that says "What's in it for me?" Not just politicians, but EVERYONE makes decisions based on self interest.

Bingo, once you really understand this, you can make progress. You can finally make a difference too, but if you think politicians are angels in disguise, odds are whatever you write or say will make almost no difference.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I understand the sentiment, but I kind of disagree here. They absolutely listen to reasoning and scientific research, but only as it relates to campaigning, polling, and getting elected/re-elected. They're not listening to how bans may violate rights, trample business, or cost lives. But the only way to affect their decisions is to convince them they'll lose enough votes.
I may have read it in one of the links I posted here, but Trump thought by calling for a flavor ban he would get the soccer mom's vote. He had no idea that vapers would respond so enthusiastically and in such large numbers.

Our advocates say the real challenge will be fighting bans in the individual states. Our advocates will be spread kinda thin with all the proposed bans happening within pretty much the same time. Now is not the time to get lazy and rest on our laurels. There is strength in numbers.

Join CASAA (its free) to be able to get individual state "calls to action". Contact your governor and state representatives.

Last edited:

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Honestly, I don't have an hour. I have an elderly grandmother and a son with cancer that live here and requires my full attention all day. I get a few minutes here and there, but never an hour.
My call took 15 minutes counting hold time. I put the phone on speaker and went about my business while waiting. It doesn't even take an hour. I can't make you call but every call helps.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I understand what you all are saying and all, And I knew as I posted it that many were going to disagree, but I just shared my feelings on it. And how I feel won't change.

We may not know the impact calling the White House has. We may not know what signing a petition may have. But these are methods of opposition that should be supportive by all who share that same opposition. Given your current circumstances, you may not have the capabilities to protest – I for one understand that and I am sure many compassionate people would shadow. But please be supportive toward those who can carry your voice.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Do be polite and even if on hold for a long time, these are volunteers who agree to take these comment calls. They don't even get paid to do it, so I always make it a point to thank them for their time. I mean, the second to last time I called apparently Barron was volunteering to take calls. After my vape speech he asked for help on his trig homework. I told him to go ask his father for help with his homework. He said he tried, but his dad said he didn't know about that new math stuff and thought it was all fake anyway.

Reactions: Georgia Boy

Kn0ttYFive

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2013
Releaser of the KRAKEN
C-PXTcbIG1Cnj2IV57idrwHaIp.jpg

fiddleshe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Barron was volunteering to take calls. After my vape speech he asked for help on his trig homework. I told him to go ask his father for help with his homework. He said he tried, but his dad said he didn't know about that new math stuff and thought it was all fake anyway.
Barron is taking trig? Must take after his mother in the smarts dept.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Hey don't joke about the secret service. Those guys mess up your computer and talk to all your friends - even internet friends. It's a pain in the rear. Umm or at least that's what my friend told me. Now I don't mess with the Secret Service at all. I'd hate to have to reinstall programs again. :oops:

fiddleshe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Hey don't joke about the secret service. Those guys mess up your computer and talk to all your friends - even internet friends. It's a pain in the rear. Umm or at least that's what my friend told me. Now I don't mess with the Secret Service at all. I'd hate to have to reinstall programs again. :oops:
Well I dealt with them once when I had a little printing problem...

Reactions: Anise

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL

Funny thing with this statement is that I have never, and very likely will never, vote.

Okay, but haven't you given up any reason for anyone to hear the complaints, then?

But seriously, I'm very sorry to hear that about your son. I missed that at first. Unbelievable fear when your children are going thru anything serious, so prayers out to your family! And while I disagreed with the idea that you can't make a difference, I certainly understand if someone doesn't put vaping rights at the very top of their agenda. While the symbolism, implications, and methods involved are outright scary, vaping definitely doesn't make my top ten list of concerns.

Reactions: Zaryk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread