Status
Not open for further replies.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
I purchased 3 usb pens from bestecig a few weeks ago....one for home, one for my car and one for work. They all work fine on my home laptop but don't seem to work with any other usb device.

I bought a usb car charger....and that didn't. I bought a usb wall charger....and that didn't work. Just now I received my battery powered usb port....and that doesn't work either....with any of them!

It's like there just isn't enough power coming through. Why would that be? Anyone know?

If I ever get all of these to work, I'll be overloaded....and tickled pink!

Lu

Last edited:

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
No I didn't realize that. What is the black and blue option? Is this better?

Lu
yeah,thats much easier to read mate...

to change the colour scheme to black and blue,scroll down to the bottom of the page...on the bottom left theres a little drop down style choice...kirsch is the white one,or black and blue for the dark one....i much prefer the black and blue myself...

PeteMcArthur

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2008
Scotland
Some of the cheapo mains chargers will not be able to provide enough power, I've got a couple that won't even charge a phone. :( Again I'm not surprised about the car adaptor, some just have a resistor to drop some voltage, unfortunately this varies with load so who knows what voltage you actually get. Be careful, some car adaptors put through the full 12 volts, this will kill your e-cig very fast.:mad:
I'm surprised about the battery box as I used the same combination without any problems, perhaps a faulty box?

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Pete, did you use yours with the usb cig from bestecig? I am wondering now if it's just that model or what. Or maybe whatever Grumpy was referring to with the different usb numbers.

That car adapter (as with the other adapters) just would not produce a full LED like when the cig is plugged into my home laptop. It lights up on one side, like a quarter of it lights....not enough to smoke with :(

Lu

PeteMcArthur

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2008
Scotland
Pete, did you use yours with the usb cig from bestecig? I am wondering now if it's just that model or what. Or maybe whatever Grumpy was referring to with the different usb numbers.

That car adapter (as with the other adapters) just would not produce a full LED like when the cig is plugged into my home laptop. It lights up on one side, like a quarter of it lights....not enough to smoke with :(

Lu

Hi,
The USB2 refers to the newer standard which can supply more current, it's usually only mentioned on computers and less often on power supplies. As it's working OK on your laptop it's safe to assume that is USB2, most USB ports have been this for a few years.
If the LED is only partially lit, that a a good sign of not enough power, again I'm not too surprised with this as an e-cig draws a bit more current than the standard.
Does your battery box contain three or four batteries? Mine had four NiMH AA cells that gave enough power to work the e-cig well.
I don't have it any more as I kept getting tangled in the lead and it was driving me crazy. It was Bestecigs pen style adaptor that I had.

Grumpysanta

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2008
Essex, England
USB1 on a laptop usually 100mA, on a desktop pc 500mA
USB2 on a laptop or desktop up to 1500mA

result USB1 sometimes does not give enough current to drive a USB e-cig

thats why I asked. Usually USB2 compatible devices will be labeled as such so if there is no label suggesting USB2 then that device may be USB1 only.

It's not laid in stone, just something to be aware of.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Grumpy, my laptop is probably a usb2. As for the other adapters, I don't know because they don't say. It's funny though that when I have seen those adapters on other sites, the ones I got LOOK the same (actually look just like the janty spare parts). But they must be different....stronger. Well, thanks for your help.

And this might explain why they didn't work on my laptop at work. That is older than dirt....probably a usb1!

Lu

Last edited:

PeteMcArthur

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2008
Scotland
Pete, I seem to think you had the same charger (I think you showed a pic of it one time). I got mine off ebay. I have 4 regular household batteries in it. Are they the right kind? If so, I wonder why it wouldn't work. If not, I better go shoppin'!

Yes that's the one. If you are only using non rechargeable AA cells, it's unlikely to work for very long, they can't supply the current. You need to get 4 AA NiMH rechargeable cells and a charger. Look for a rating of 2400 mAh or greater. Now your in the US so I can't suggest many shops, are Radio Shack still on the go?

this is the sort of batteries you need:-
Amazon.com: Powerex AA 2700mAh Rechargeable NiMH Batteries w/holder- 4 Batteries Per Pack: Electronics

and the charger
Amazon.com: Smart Charger for NiMH/ NiCd Battery - AA, AAA by Vanson: Sports & Outdoors

These are just to give you an idea of what you need, they will be a lot cheaper on ebay!

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
OMG! That makes a lot of sense to me. Regular batteries probably just won't cut it. If rechargeable batteries work, it will be worth it!

Maybe dealextreme has 'em...lol.

Thanks so much for the info. I mean....how else would I have known that? And if it worked for you, it should work for me. I'll tell ya....I'm learning something new every day on this forum. This whole thing definitely is a learning curve!

Thanks for your help too.

Lu

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
Sambuca, DX does have the NiMh AA batteries. So does Walmart and any drugstore in the US. It is the rechargeable battery they sell everywhere - you would have to search to find another rechargeable. The important part is to make sure they provide 2400 mAh. Most are rated much less than that. I know Duracell and Energizer both make them this high. I did find the best deals though on ebay.

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Yes, nic, it is the 2400 mah that's stalling me. I did look on ebay and found 2 options of interest. The funny thing is, I was just thinking how much I hate charging bats for my penstyle and now I have to go buy a rechargeable bats and a charger, so I'll still be swapping bats!

If I didn't laugh, I'd cry :lol:

Lu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread