I just got the nod to vape from my doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevew443

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2010
Shenandoah Junction, WV
www.bnyeshiva.com
I had to go see my doctor today for a checkup. He has been treating me for high blood pressure. I was so looking forward to the visit today because I had quit analogs since last I was checked by my doctor. He checked my blood pressure and it is higher than it has ever been... in the range that had I not been under a doctor's care, I would have been rushed to the hospital. I let my doctor know how disappointed I was because I had quit smoking. He asked me how I had quit and I showed him my e-cig and he gave me a thumbs up for its use. He is all for any method to quit smoking and was very impressed that the e-cig worked so well for me. He was also very happy that I had quit analogs because he could look for other causes for my high blood pressure since I had stopped using one of the primary cause. So far he is leaning toward the cause being genetic and being made worse by the fact that I work night shift. After a battery of tests today I was given a fairly clean bill of health... my heart is excellent, my lungs are clear, I just have this darned high blood pressure, but a doctor who is thrilled with my e-cig.

Stevew443

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2010
Shenandoah Junction, WV
www.bnyeshiva.com
Nicotine raises blood pressure! Lower your NIC MGs? Maybe? Good News!

I have been vaping some fairly high nic juices, so I will be dropping that. I should have a bottle of no-nic PG delivered today. I was going to use it to cut some of my normal juices. I go back in a couple of weeks, so we will see if the lower nic juice helps. However, I smoked a PAD of some very heavy duty analogs, and I know from the way my body reacts to vaping that I am getting less nic than I did from the analogs.

Stevew443

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2010
Shenandoah Junction, WV
www.bnyeshiva.com
thats very good! after six months or so i had a doctors visit and he ran abunch of test also and all came back great health.. wtg.
and i also work the night shift, vape all night, no bosses on ,like the day shift.

Isn't it wonderful to be able to vape all night with nobody to bother you? Last night I discovered one of my co-workers in the next room vapes also, so we had a night of vaping and talking and comparing notes, and the other co-workers sitting in amazement watching and learning and just enjoying watching us relax. Sometimes night shift can be wonderful.

DMF

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2010
Slower Lower Delaware
I lowered my % of nic too, prior to going to doc. My bp was down and my lovely progressive doc gave me an "attagirl". She is on board with my vaping too. It's nice to have a doc that doesn't put roadblocks up in front of you. She said keep up the good work. I have since lowered my nic levels yet again, can't wait to see how she feels about the progress I've made .

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
One can pick up a cheap Blood pressure cuff at Walgreens or Wally World. I would suggest getting a name brand vs generic. Wrist cuff works well. Blood pressure variates during the day. One can also have "white coat syndrome" which is a increase in Blood pressure only when going to the doctor. (Sometimes anxiety related or inadequate training of medical personal).

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Wonderful news! I always thought it was the nicotine that raised one's blood pressure. Is that not true?

Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, a mild stimulant, and can mildly, but temporarily, increase blood pressure as well (as is and does caffeine too).

However, hereditary high blood pressure has nothing to do with nicotine consumption. If a person is genetically doomed to high blood pressure, he or she will have high blood pressure whether nicotine is consumed or not!

In my case, many years ago I stopped taking my blood pressure medication after I had succeeded in quitting smoking (that lasted 3 1/2 years) - under the similar but hugely mistaken belief that if I could only quit smoking, then my blood pressure would of course normalize. Big mistake. It not only failed to normalize, but it went up. High blood pressure is rampant in my family, as it is genetically programed in our case, and of course it afflicts nearly all my siblings, even though I'm the only one who smoked for so many years.

I have since become much better educated on these issues, but unfortunately the many myths about nicotine and its effects on health are widespread and very hard to eradicate.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
This probably doesn't apply to the OP, who has a history of HBP monitoring and treatment, but adding my experience for thread browsers. ;)

Since I've been vaping I've had several instances where my BP at a doctor visit was shockingly increased. I thought it through after my initial panicked response and figured out... I vape up until my appointment which then results sometimes in a sudden increase. Discovered that if I have them check it again at the end of my visit it's always been back to normal, or nearly by then.

Stevew443

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2010
Shenandoah Junction, WV
www.bnyeshiva.com
This probably doesn't apply to the OP, who has a history of HBP monitoring and treatment, but adding my experience for thread browsers. ;)

Since I've been vaping I've had several instances where my BP at a doctor visit was shockingly increased. I thought it through after my initial panicked response and figured out... I vape up until my appointment which then results sometimes in a sudden increase. Discovered that if I have them check it again at the end of my visit it's always been back to normal, or nearly by then.

That does not seem to be my case. I don't vape for at least an hour before the appointment, then I usually have to wait for at least 30 minutes before seeing the doctor, and my BP has been high throughout the appointment. That is what has been leading my doctor to believe that it is genetic. I go back for another appointment tomorrow afternoon.
One thing that may be contributing to the high readings is that I work night shift. I have been doing that for about 7 months now and I have noticed that my system is totally out of whack now.
My doctor also said that until my BP is under control, if I checked it at home, I may panic myself because of the readings. He indicated that he is not really worried about it because my heart is in very good shape and I am doing what I am supposed to be doing to try to control it.

wolflrv

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tennessee
I'm going to make a suggestion for you to research and experiment with. I also had to quit smoking due to extremely high blood pressure, caused by bad teeth that were abscessing and causing infection, pain and stress. My doctors finally convinced me, so I started vaping a year ago at 36mg and slowly weaned myself down to around 20mg. My BP dropped substantially(at least at home), but I was still very high in the doctor's office. I dropped it down to 10mg and my BP went even higher...and I finally lost it one night and went to town and bought smokes. Within a half a smoke...I was visibly calmer and the panic/stress stopped and my BP came down substantially by the time I got back home. This totally bummed me out though, cause I was thinking..what the heck?? I can't quit? Been vaping for a year?? What gives??

I started studying on WTA's and the MAOI factor in tobacco vs just pure nic juice. After some serious research I found a product called Seredyn. It's designed to use herbals to reduce stress and calm panic/anxiety attacks. It's relatively inexpensive compared to some of the prescription anti-anxiety meds. Bottom line is it worked for and is working for me. It doesn't make me drowsy, but calm and alert and the effect of the nicotine is even enhanced when using it..so you get that double feeling of chilling as you vape while still being perked up.

I don't know if this will help for you..but it's worth some investigation. There are many threads here on ECF on this subject. I'm just very glad to have found what I needed to give me my life back!

SonnyCrack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Florida
I've had low blood pressure (than average).. Usually 105-60.. in that range.. now its up around 120 65 or so.. Not dangerous, but marketly different.

6 months ago I was on blood pressure meds for high blood pressure, directly caused by alcohol abuse (I was drinking everyday all day)... After I removed the alcohol, it went down 40 points...

So I don't know if you drink.. But don't believe the hype that it lowers blood pressure. It does, but only when you are drinking.. After you stop, it goes way up.. I had to goto the ER once because mine shot up to 160 110..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread