I know about silica, but nothing about cotton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

double_aa_ron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have been having great success with my RM2 using silica and 30 gauge kanthel, but I keep hearing about cotton and micro coils. Cotton would be a cheaper alternative and I'm all about saving a buck were ever I can.

First question is what kind of cotton is suitable? Can you use just plane old cotton balls that you get from your local dollar store or do you have to use some sort of yarn?

Second is setup. If its some kind of yarn then I would assume it would be similar or the same as a silica setup, but what about cotton balls?

I'll probable have more questions as we go along.

Thanks in advance.:)

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
For micro coils cotton balls are the way to go. I've been using cvs brand sterile cotton balls. Others swear by sterile rolled cotton. Some go for 100% organic natural colored cotton balls.

Basically make sure its 100% cotton, no colors, and the bag has no holes so that no funk got transferred to the cotton.

Cotton yarn works great for standard sized wick but if you get cotton balls for micros there's no need for the yarn.

djezewski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Wayland, New York, United States
Wow, don't know what you are paying for yarn but I can tell you you can get about 700 yards per lb you need a 4/4 wt(that is like the sugar and cream yarn, etc) or 4/3 wt. retail about $12 lb, https://rmyarns.com/CottonNatRegStock.html. I can usually get it wholesale for much less elsewhre as I am a yarn retailer...it all depend on what my wholesaler has. I have a cone of white floating around here somewhere and if I find it I will give it a try. I would think the natural would be better as opposed to the bleached white cotton. I have some of the soft slub kind too which I suppose would work. If anyone knows please comment.

Last edited:

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
I tried organic cotton balls, which tasted horribly industrial. Then baby bottom rolled cotton, which was fine and easier to work with for me. Try both, cheap enough. With cotton you have to go the micro coil route I think (good picture essay sticky on that, from SXD), which takes a tad longer than just wrapping around silica.

double_aa_ron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
Austin, Texas
Just tried it with some q-tips my girlfriend has. *shh don't say anything*
Seems to be working pretty well. It is a brand new coil, but my initial impression is that I like the flavor of silica slightly better.

I do have one question though. About dry hits- if you get one is your wick hosed? Do you need to make sure that your wick is super saturated at all times or is there a time when the wick is saturated enough to not burn, but not saturated enough to give a pleasant vape?

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
Cotton is great but it takes a short time for it to "break in". For me it peaks at about 2ml. I have to squonk every 2 hits with sub ohm coils. Wick should be saturated but not swimming/flooded in juice or you may get a weak vape. If your juice taste burnt even when saturated you've probably burned the cotton. Easy fix though. :)

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2013
USA
You can taste the wick drying out before you get to a dry hit. Stop and squonk. Cotton will even survive a mild dry it without continued burnt taste. However, if you dry hit it bad, the burnt taste will be permanent. When I first got a REO, I went straight to cotton wicked micro coils before I had squonking down. I wasn't paying attention and took a big dry hit that burned my throat, crossed my eyes, and set off the smoke detector in the family room when I coughed it out. :lol: That wick got replaced immediately.

rc10mike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I've tried hemp, bamboo, cotton, and silica. The longest lasting, easiest to use, and having a neutral effect on flavor is, in my opinion, silica, but I would suggest trying them all until you find which best suits you.

I agree, Ive used almost everything you have, and silica wins in the end.

Cactus Breath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
AZ
Ok, I have to now admit my ignorance for have now seen it too many times to ignore...what is a "q-tip"?
It's a brand name for cotton-tipped swabs. Like such:

220px-Q_Tips_plain_BG.jpg

Matthee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Koringberg, South Africa
Cactus Breath;10599662]It's a brand name for cotton-tipped swabs. Like such:

Thanks, suspected so...

How do you clean your ear holes?

Sorry, say that again...can't hear you! Down here they are called ear buds, or swabs or just buds. Seems to me "q-tips" is a brand name, which has become generic in your country.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread