Status
Not open for further replies.

ian91

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Westbank, BC Canada
I smoked for 50 years and was up to 2+ packs a day when I quit. I started with 18mg and am now on 12mg. I think that 24mg is way to high for you. I have troubles with vaping and NOT inhaling. What would be the point. You could try seeing if they would change the blend for you to have a higher percentage of VG. That should cut back on the throat hit.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
Now, when I go past the smoke pen, or pass someone smoking in public... I take notice. Remember in Shark Tales, when the Great White got whiff of Dorey's blood in the water? That's what it's like when I smell that second hand smoke... from cigarettes. Cigars & pipes are even better.

Everyone is different, but I would guess that the longer you vape and stay away from burning tobacco, the worse it will smell to you in time, especially as your lungs, sinuses and tongue clear from the tobacco/tar/soot residue. I love it once myself...for +46 years. I had decided I would be the last person on earth to give up smoking. Now it's just a memory, and not an especially fond one, at that.

Like you, I almost gave up, because I wasn't able to inhale vapor at first. I coughed at every attempt. The people at the vape store recommended to lower my nic level, so I went with 6mg. Still took me 10 days or so to learn. After that, all was well. As has been noted, inhaling into the lungs isn't necessary for nic absorption, but for me, inhaling was a part of smoking, so...

Still had to deal with "quit zits", sore throat, sore TEETH (?), constipation :blush:, but those were all just minor bumps in the road. I'm armed with several varieties of good equipment, batteries, decent juice, and nic gum (for emergencies). A couple of months ago I was at lunch with our daughter and her husband, and I asked if I could take a sniff of the Camels in his shirt pocket. I never smoked Camels, but I was thinking it might be a nice, enticing aroma. NOTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos to you, long life, and best wishes for your health and happiness. GO TEXAS! And everyone else, of course!

My eurekalert was when I realized that this wasn't going to be just like smoking, smoking is smoking and this is vaping, now two completely different things to me. It wasn't until I could separate them in my mind that I could truly enjoy vaping, and now smoking just seems absurd to me, when I can get what I crave in something that won't kill me, and tastes good to boot. So if you take the approach that they are completely different it may help.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
I made the switch just over 4 years ago, from being a pack and a half a day smoker....used 24mg liquid all this time until this past week where I dropped to 12, have had no cravings...

First off to the OP congrats on the quit...I too loved smoking cigarettes,pipes, cigars, hookah...

Anyway, I'm writing this because there is just so much no in this thread...
Yes drink more water and a bit of VG in your juice will soften up what changing to vaping does to your throat....
So will changing the way you inhale...
However this whole higher/lower nic level argument was just kinda full of misinformation...
The amount of nic delivered in a cigarette varies by brand
I was a camel wides smoker...that came out to be 64 mg of nic per pack....
Or 3ml of 24mg juice...
Only the absorption rate of nicotine through ecigs is lower than absorption through smoking
And the method of absorption is different, the nic in smoke is primarily absorbed in the lungs where the studies are showing that with ecigs it's primarily through the mouth and nasal passage...
On top of that they are showing that with smoke the nic in plasma levels is hitting and then tapering off (if drawn as a line there's be many peaks and valleys where with the ecig though the absorption is less it's staying in the system longer over time (smoothing out the peaks and valleys)....
Secondly, with the newer generation of devices and higher wattage and lower resistance....devices are getting more efficient at vaporizing the juice allowing for lower nic levels and less juice usage...
That's exactly what pushed my nic level and juice usage down, while maintaining satisfaction....
Vaping a 306 drip atomizer at 9W was satisfying for 4 years.…pushing it to 11W let me cut the nic level...

For the other guy who wanted proof in regards to second hand smoke...I suggest that you read about the lawsuit that ASH brought against OSHA and the EPA where OSHA and the EPA studied ETS (environmental tobacco smoke) and came up with PELs for the majority of the byproduct chemicals in smoke and just how many cigarettes it would take to get to those levels....and testified to such in front of congress.....
Here's a hint, there's a reason ASH pulled their lawsuit...it may have had something to do with the fact that they found that something like 12,000 cigarette would have to be smoke in 1 hour in a 12'x12'x9' sealed room before they hit the PEL for just 1 of the byproduct chemicals...it's the dose that makes the poison...

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
Variable voltage or watts will allow you to lower you nic level and adjust the hit to your preference at the time. Up the power for stronger cravings. Lower the power if your throat is hurting. It's how I vaped through cravings while my husband still smoked and didn't get dizzy or a headache from too much nic. Higher VG mixes will also soften a hit. I smoked a pack to a pack and a half a day and when I switched I used 18mg juice. I'm thinking of lowering the nic level now as I'm finding that 18 mg is starting to affect the taste of the juice now, giving it a more peppery taste.

Baron Sciarri

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2014
Mantua, NJ, USA
Yeah i think everybody is different but there seems to be a setup that works for each person...i started with nicotine lozenges i doubled up on those...then i added in the blu cigs but they were pretty weak...i added the 21mg patch and switched to fins and i was doing pretty well...after awhile i started refilling the fin battery with blue carts and i was pretty happy with that...overall not smoking was costing me about 10 dollars a day...

Then i quit being lazy and got on the internet and started researching it more and bought some 100mg unflavored vg juice and got some glycerin and spring water from walmart and now im all set...still using the fin battery and atomizer just using my little visine bottle of nic juice to coat the atomizer with what seems to be maybe 40-50mg strength...plenty of throat hit...plenty of nicotine...plenty of vapor....for pennies!

Oh yes I ordered a vaping starter kit but apparently those have to be shipped from mars so im still waiting...and not smoking

Elizabeth Baldwin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
I smoked marlboros for over 20 years at a pack and a half a day. I started out at 12mg nic... I lowered it quickly because I love vaping. I Vape all the time....literally. I quit the day I started vaping and it satisfies me. I tried a cig a week after I quit and it Tasted gross... Like an ashtray. I decided I'd never even try again. Vaping tastes much better.

My husband smoked 2 packs a day for 25 years... He started out still smoking for the first week, then he quit smoking and took up vaping full time. He loves peach tobacco flavoring.

I searched and searched for a Vape that tasted like a Marlboro for the first week or 2... Then I realized why do I want a Vape like tobacco when there's all these awesome flavors I can Vape that actually have delicious tastes and smell awesome. My favorites now are vanilla tobacco and vanilla butternut. Others I Vape occasionally are peanut butter, caramel, French vanilla, cotton candy, piña colada... And a bunch of others. My point is once you get into taste testing new flavors you'll find something that makes you go awe... That's good stuff. If you would have ask me when I first started if I'd Vape flavors other than a tobacco I would have said no... I loved my marlboros. But now vaping is 100 times better and all the flavors are delicious.

I really urge you to try a lot of different flavors. Get samples. You'll be amazed.

Good luck. :vapor::vapor::vapor:

ccubed

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
Denver, CO
Good for you TYYYYLER.

My experience with smoking has been pretty similar. I don't find it nasty, like I said..... I love smoking. Actually, now I should say I loved smoking. It's been awhile.

It may have taken me longer than most, but I'm starting to get my smell back. Before I started smoking, I used to love walking past smokers. That smell of second hand smoke (though dangerous) was absolutely intoxicating. After I started smoking, it didn't have the same effect on me. It was dull & abrasive.

Now, when I go past the smoke pen, or pass someone smoking in public... I take notice. Remember in Shark Tales, when the Great White got whiff of Dorey's blood in the water? That's what it's like when I smell that second hand smoke... from cigarettes. Cigars & pipes are even better.

However, this time I'm not going to ruin it by smoking. I'll continue to vape & enjoy my second hand smoke.

Hi BCRich. This thread and your story has been incredibly inspirational. You went through some real challenges, asked for help and have moved to an analog free life. You'll soon be coming up on 60 days analog free and that is fantastic.

Part of the reason I like ECF is that the folks here are so supportive with one another. I always feel that we just want to be helpful without any judgement. We really are in this together for one another. I wish more communities were like this one.

I admire your perseverance and willingness to move through your challenges. Keep sharing your story. You may not know it, but your experience will be uniquely useful in helping someone else.

Keep the vape and namaste.

BCRich2204

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
Texas
Keep the vape and namaste.

& namaste to you too.

7997176.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread