I Love Vaping, but I Want to Eventually Quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Religion

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2011
AZ
I am approaching 6 months since I've touched an analogue. I will never smoke again. It was easy because I made zero self-imposed rules for vaping - just no analogs.
I feel great and am in a good place and have recently been toying with quitting vaporizing nicotine as well.

Does anyone recommend cold turkey vs. tapering off mg levels?
Anything weird I should expect?

I was desperate to stop smoking because my odor was ruining my social life, but vaping solved that. Now I'm mellow and content with vaping, but quitting vaping almost seems too easy at this point to not at least give it a shot. I mean, deep down, no one likes anything having mastery over them. I'm not in hurry, but now that I got the idea...

I already switched from 24mg to 18mg (easy), but I'm wondering if I should taper down to 12 - 6 - 0 or just quit. Is it hard to drop to 6? Should I even bother with 0mg?

I know we're all pretty different, but some pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Vape On!

_Religion

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
If i were to quit nicotene i'd go to patches... i don't really consider vaping a smoking cessation much at all, if any.

When i started, i knew i loved it.. the whole concept of it whereas smoking was just a bummer except those rare times when a cigarette tasted and felt really great...

If you do taper or cold turkey, i wish you all the luck... you won't have to bother dealing with what for many of us has become a hobby if not an obsession

Luvs5rugrats

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
The Lowcountry
I know for me, tapering off is working. I tried jumping from 24mg down to 12 but that didn't work real well. I went to 18 and then down to 12 and that seemed to work much better. Everyone's different but it makes sense. If I ever get down to 0, I'll probably still use vaping as my pacifier as I've always had a hand-to-mouth thing. I sucked my thumb until i was 7, moved on to bitting my fingernails (which vaping has helped me stop doing, so I got a two-fer!) and from there, smoking. And if I didn't smoke, like when I tried cold-turkey for periods in the past, I ate. Everything. All the time. :glare:

So vaping even 0mg will help keep me from biting my fingernails and gaining weight. And as for the oral fixation thing, my husband really doesn't mind. :p

Loveridden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
Schaumburg, IL
A lot of people at the very least want to get down to 0 nic. I hear it all the time. But there are a good portion of ppl on here too that plan to vape for the rest of their lives so you will hear comments from people about that. I plan to eventually taper down nic level and stop using the e-cig. I don't want to be on it forever. But I am not tapering at the moment.

LibertyValance

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
Tampa, FL
I think nicotine addiction is a very personal thing and response varies wildly. In my case even though I was the heaviest of smokers over 20 years I never really felt that I was strongly physically addicted to nicotine - it was more psychological. Today I am by any definition a very light vaper - using only 6mg juice a few times a day. Even at those extremely low levels of nic both my wife and I feel a slight (good) feeling from the nicotine.

I am not sure I would ever go to 0 nic. For one thing, at the 6mg level, I am equally concerned with the other products I am vaping (food additives and such) and not sure there is any real harm reduction dropping from 6mg to 0.

One thing in my case I have noticed for sure. Nicotine is no longer my master. At these low levels I don't feel any addiction at all. I don't take my PV with me when I leave the house usually, and I don't feel like I HAVE to vape.

I found it extremely worthwhile getting used to a micro dose of nicotine. Like you I used to hate the feeling that a desire for a chemical was ruling me.

ec!gg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
www.ecigg.org
IMO if that's your plan than you should continue to taper down to where you reach 0mg nic. By then, you have basically quite nicotine and can move on from there.

Good luck

I agree with washvap on this. Go with your goal to 0 NIC and if see how you feel after this. Congrats on your 6 months though!

Religion

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2011
AZ
Seriously Thanks, everyone. I think I'll stick with the tapering. Maybe a month per level, as I'm in no hurry. Besides, that's about how long each juice supply lasts me.
I'll update at each level or if I get frustrated and just quit or quit quitting ;-)

I may be crazy, but I am not a big fan of Big Pharma, so it's vape for life or just be a breather.

Again, thank you all!

_Religion

MollieA

ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2011
Santa Monica
I'm in the process of tapering off. I'm still at the stage where I have a few analogs, but even that is reducing rapidly. Since starting to vape, I prefer the flavors over a cig. It's only been a couple of months since I started vaping and cutting down on the analogs- I mean, I went from 30 cigs a day to only 4 now. I'm just about ready to take the plunge and say goodbye to analogs for good. My vape level is at 18mg, and I started at 24mg. But, like many folks here- I tend to want less nic at night, so I'm diluting my juice in increments with the hope that I'll reach a 0mg level at some point.

I failed miserably in quitting in the past- and this time, I decided to reduce my intake bit by bit- at a comfortable level I felt I could handle. Of course the majority of the addiction for me is psychological. Cigs have been my "best friend" for so long. Anyway, since getting into vaping, it helps with the oral aspect- that was the one thing I missed terribly when trying to quit in the past. I found that vaping takes care of that and with a goal and game plan in mind, I hope to taper off bit by bit. It is the least stressful IMO.

Good luck to you and contrats on your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread