I need a new mod: Small, simple, not integrated batteries, cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartham

Jun 27, 2014
USA
Well, damn. My trusty GLV2 SuperMini is finally no more after eight or so solid years of daily use....the 510 threads finally wore out. At this point, I have to wedge a piece of teflon tape in to try and get a 510-to-eGo adapter to not plop out and if I so much as look at it it just flops out.

I'm heartbroken. :)

Does Jay still exist? Does he offer repair on these dinosaurs? Honestly, this thing and the Kanger eVod tanks I've been using for the last 4 or 5 years still did everything I need, but.. well.. I guess all things must end.

I need a new one. I genuinely loathe the giant box mods, but that seems to be the way the market's turned. I've been trying to figure out a new one, to say nothing of subohms, mouth to lung, rda, etc etc etc.

I just want simplicity, serviceability, and low cost. It'd be nice if I can use the nearly 20 eVod coils I've got stacked up, they're all 1.8ohm. Like.. these crazy thigns with the menus and the screens and ...., they just sorta auto-sense, right?

Anyways, I'm pretty lost. I'm pretty much looking at the Smoant Battlestar Mini and an iJoy Elite PS2170. I have a friend with the Smoant and he's been happy, but the latter is on sale and comes with a tank, so that's nice.

But I'm open to any suggestions, not just for a mod but for a tank too, I suppose.

Size and weight are important for the mod, I'm sort of fixated on replacement batteries being a feature, as well as USB charging. I have no interest in giant clouds of vapor (actually, I hate them), i just want to have taste and battery life.

Same for a tank, the nicest thing about the old eVod tank is I could crack open the coil and do some impromptu dry burns to clean it and get about three weeks out of it. I know that no new designs are gonna be like that, but I'd like to at least focus on it being budget friendly to feed this thing.

smartham

Jun 27, 2014
USA
When I started there was no such thing as "mouth to lung" vaping, and I don't even know what it is.

I like not smoking cigarettes. I like not looking like a steam engine on a gradient. I like small, lightweight things that don't cost a lot. :)

My budget is "no, that's too much" and my location is the US, which I'll be adding to my profile. :)

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Cheap and cheerful, no worries. And MTL for sure, the tank that comes with the iJoy you've mentioned you probably wouldn't like then as it's a cloudy tank.

Vapecrawler is useful for finding bits, always search through a site when you get there as it doesn't necessarily list things.
Vapecrawler

There's also places such as heavens gifts, fasttech, 3fvape and 2fdeal. All those are Chinese based webstores that list a large selection of vaping gear.

Reactions: Hawise

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Mouth-to-lung is what you're doing. It didn't need a name when you (and I) started because that's all there was. The alternative is direct lung, a.k.a. "a steam engine on a gradient."

The leading mouth-to-lung (MTL) tank at the moment is the Innokin Zenith (or the Zlide, which uses the same coils as the Zenith). The Protank 3 is fine too, at least for the time being. It's quite a bit older so there's always a risk the coils will be discontinued.

I agree with the mod recommendations so far. The Pico and Nunchaku are good basic mods, and the Smoant Battlestar Mini should also suit you fine. I don't know much about the iJoy you mentioned, although from its name I expect it takes 21700 batteries. 18650 batteries are the standard in vaping (although that may be changing as 20700s and 21700s become more popular) but, at the moment, it's easier to find good 18650s. That said, the iJoy probably comes with an 18650 adapter so you can use those too.

Unfortunately, mods don't set themselves. You'll want to vape in wattage mode, which should be the default mode, so you can ignore any TC (temperature control) settings. The only buttons you'll need to worry about in wattage mode are the '+' and '-' ones.

Recommended settings depend on the coil. They're usually written on the coil itself (if you can read them) and on the coil box. For MTL, you can expect something in the 8 - 20 watt range. Start at the bottom of the range (or a bit below it) and try that out. Then bump it up until you don't like it anymore. Wherever you liked it best is the correct setting.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
There's also places such as heavens gifts, fasttech, 3fvape and 2fdeal. All those are Chinese based webstores that list a large selection of vaping gear.

I've used Fasttech and 3fvape and found both to be cheap and reliable. Two warnings though:
  • Some devices will be listed as 'in stock' or 'ships within 24 hours', while others are 'Available on (date)'. 'Available on...' listings can be wildly inaccurate. Stick to ordering in stock items.
  • Items are usually described as either 'authentic' or 'styled'. Authentic items are authentic; styled items aren't. Use great caution when ordering them.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Mouth to lung tank, low wattage coils, easy to clean and fill, and cheap. The Innokin Glide (or the older Zenith tank) would by my recommendation.

For a battery device that uses a single replaceable battery the Innokin Kroma would be a great choice. If given the choice, you should be charging your replaceable batteries with a separate Li-ion battery charger, not via USB. Guide to Choosing a Li-ion Battery Charger

The Geekvape Aegis Solo uses a single replaceable batter, it is water proof and impact resistant; built like a tank. It has a removeable plug that houses the USB port, but frequent removal of the plug will affect how waterproof it will be over time. A bit more pocket friendly and a better aesthetical feel in the hand than the Kroma.

I have the Aegis Solo and Cerberus tank. Love it. Although the Cerberus tank is a sub-ohm direct-to-lung tank, I use it between 16 -20 watts with the air control ring nearly shut. Works great in this way if you are a MTL low wattage vaper.

Last edited:

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Well, damn. My trusty GLV2 SuperMini is finally no more after eight or so solid years of daily use....the 510 threads finally wore out. At this point, I have to wedge a piece of teflon tape in to try and get a 510-to-eGo adapter to not plop out and if I so much as look at it it just flops out.

Does Jay still exist? Does he offer repair on these dinosaurs? Honestly, this thing and the Kanger eVod tanks I've been using for the last 4 or 5 years still did everything I need, but.. well.. I guess all things must end.

I need a new one. I genuinely loathe the giant box mods, but that seems to be the way the market's turned. I've been trying to figure out a new one, to say nothing of subohms, mouth to lung, rda, etc etc etc.

I just want simplicity, serviceability, and low cost. It'd be nice if I can use the nearly 20 eVod coils I've got stacked up, they're all 1.8ohm. Like.. these crazy thigns with the menus and the screens and ...., they just sorta auto-sense, right?

Anyways, I'm pretty lost. I'm pretty much looking at the Smoant Battlestar Mini and an iJoy Elite PS2170. I have a friend with the Smoant and he's been happy, but the latter is on sale and comes with a tank, so that's nice.

But I'm open to any suggestions, not just for a mod but for a tank too, I suppose.

Size and weight are important for the mod, I'm sort of fixated on replacement batteries being a feature, as well as USB charging. I have no interest in giant clouds of vapor (actually, I hate them), i just want to have taste and battery life.

Same for a tank, the nicest thing about the old eVod tank is I could crack open the coil and do some impromptu dry burns to clean it and get about three weeks out of it. I know that no new designs are gonna be like that, but I'd like to at least focus on it being budget friendly to feed this thing.
Uwell Nunchaku

uwell-starter-kit-uwell-nunchaku-80w-tc-starter-kit-6615351328827_1800x1800.jpg

UWELL Nunchaku 80W Starter Kit | Vape Starter Kits – VaporDNA

Reactions: smartham

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave

Of the two you listed, the Smoant mini battlestar is an easy choice. I don’t have the mini but I have the regular battlestar along with several other Smoant mods and they make great mod, priced right, that perform well and are well made.

smartham

Jun 27, 2014
USA
Thank you all thus far (and to come) for the help.

Hawise, your info is *exactly* what I needed to see.

FWIW, I'm not wedded to my old Kanger evod, I just wanna finish up all the coils I bought, but I've still got a couple of tanks to use and a handful of 510-to-eGo adapters, I'm just trying to use up my left overs before I buy new stuff (somewhere in a drawer I still have a couple of cartomizers floating around, I bet). I'm not on a hunt for a tank at this point, I should be good for another month or three before I need to worry that, but for future reference it was nice to learn the difference between them, and with that I think I have a better understanding of the inner bits that make one more suited than the other. I certainly realize there's no need for these 200w things since I'm going to be using it at low wattage anyways.

Y'all gave me lots of things to look at, although I do wish things were smaller but I guess for that there's the little integrated pods or whatever they're called. I've always liked just being able to drop it into a shirt pocket and move on, but nowadays these things are all so giant, heavy, and "look at me!" :)

Apropos to nothing: It's funny, to me, how cheap some of these things have gotten. These mods are often $20-40 now and basically seem disposable, I think I spent $130 for my GLV2 and literally has no features at all, I remember when people were first buying things like Provaris and whatnot for hundreds of bucks and now they're just, well, like I said disposable.

Anyways, I guess I'm gonna stress and wonder for this a little longer and keep jamming telflon packing into my 510 connection 'til the bitter end.

Reactions: Mordacai

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It's funny, to me, how cheap some of these things have gotten. These mods are often $20-40 now and basically seem disposable, I think I spent $130 for my GLV2 and literally has no features at all, I remember when people were first buying things like Provaris and whatnot for hundreds of bucks and now they're just, well, like I said disposable.
The age old debate on whether Provari's were worth $200 (you could actually buy just the mod itself for $100. A Provari starter kit might run up to $200 depending upon what you ordered.). Well, Provari's were built to last, and should one break or stop to function, you could always have Provape fix it for a very reasonable fee of replacement parts. Not many companies then or now do that. The only reason that Provape closed shop was because of the overwhelming expense required to please FDA regulations. Plus the owners were set to retire and were willing to sell the business. Zen from House of Hybrids was willing to buy, but his investor group felt it would be an unwise investment for exactly the same reason that Provape closed -- FDA regulations.

I still have two Provari's purchased between 1012 and 2013. They still work perfectly, but I don't use them because I changed the type of vaper I am. I went from a MTL low wattage vaper to a DTL higher wattage vaper. I still insist that they were the best investment I have ever made in my 7 years of vaping.

Last edited:

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
I still have two Provari's purchased between 1012 and 2013. ...
That's right folks, Baditude is revealed as a medieval provarianati ... forerunner of the illuminati, and very probably, a ruler of the universe. And, dang, those provari hold up over time ...
:D

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Because it's "old style" nobody's mentioned it but the iStick 30w is still banging about - oh woe it's got an integral battery etc etc... mine's still working after 3.5 years.

If that's too old hat there the Pico to which you can add your own choice of batteries ... btw I just bought another one today!

• Winner
Reactions: AngeNZ

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Thank you all thus far (and to come) for the help.

Hawise, your info is *exactly* what I needed to see.

FWIW, I'm not wedded to my old Kanger evod, I just wanna finish up all the coils I bought, but I've still got a couple of tanks to use and a handful of 510-to-eGo adapters, I'm just trying to use up my left overs before I buy new stuff (somewhere in a drawer I still have a couple of cartomizers floating around, I bet). I'm not on a hunt for a tank at this point, I should be good for another month or three before I need to worry that, but for future reference it was nice to learn the difference between them, and with that I think I have a better understanding of the inner bits that make one more suited than the other. I certainly realize there's no need for these 200w things since I'm going to be using it at low wattage anyways.

Y'all gave me lots of things to look at, although I do wish things were smaller but I guess for that there's the little integrated pods or whatever they're called. I've always liked just being able to drop it into a shirt pocket and move on, but nowadays these things are all so giant, heavy, and "look at me!" :)

Apropos to nothing: It's funny, to me, how cheap some of these things have gotten. These mods are often $20-40 now and basically seem disposable, I think I spent $130 for my GLV2 and literally has no features at all, I remember when people were first buying things like Provaris and whatnot for hundreds of bucks and now they're just, well, like I said disposable.

Anyways, I guess I'm gonna stress and wonder for this a little longer and keep jamming telflon packing into my 510 connection 'til the bitter end.
I have something for you, not cheap but small enough to throw into a shirt pocket and with a stellar chip. You can either use Nautilus coils or build your own. The options are endless... But, bear in mind that it's not cheap and in the end you'll spend a pretty amount...

SXK BB Box 60W Black Evolv DNA 60 Mod Kit w/ USB Port

SXK Billet box...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread