I need advice with my rda/rta setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel Hagen

Jul 9, 2018
So the stuff I've been using first.
- Drop RDA
- Native wicks cotton, platinum blend
- Coilology pre-built Nichrome coils and hand wraped geekvape kanthal coils.
-Mostly 70/30 blend eliquid

Lately I have had very little success with the builds I have put into my drop RDA. I feel like I have tried everything. I used to have amazing builds. But it seems that I don't get that warm, saturated and flavorful vape that I used to. It's more hot and spity.
I have tried using less cotton to avoid choking the coil. I have tried different kinds and size coils, and the position of said coils. Nothing I do seems to help. It seems that when I do get a decent build, I do nothing different.
The best build I can remember was hand wrapped claptons very close to the airflow with the bottom 4 holes taped off. Also with that build I used to wick my rdas really tight.
If anyone has decent advice, be sure to let me know.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I, personally, couldn't get a decent vape off of the drop. I gave up on it and sold it, so I cannot recommend a build or coil placement. But if you are having spitting, the first thing I do is try tighter wicking. It usually helps stop spitting and poping. Trying to get more airflow on the coil can also help keep the coil from overheating and spitting juice around.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Been using the Drop myself for months now, never had any issue with flavor as it's been excellent with everything i use in it.

Best trick i've found is to use simple round wire builds (i tend to use SS on a 3 to 3.5mm ID with a .2 to .3 resistance) put both coils centered in the middle my airflow is wide open aswell.

Sometimes i use SS claptons aswell (same Id and resistance) still no issues for me.
Wicking wise i cut it right at the bottom of the outside deck, and it has to be somewhat tight inside your coil (not too tight but just enough to have some resistance when pulling)

If that dosen't work still, then i have no clue what else to suggest as again i've had Great flavor from my Drop.

Reactions: BrotherBob

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
I do not have any experience with the Drop but, had similar issues with my Dead Rabbit. Right now I am getting a nice vape with duel paralell 26 agw, 3mm id, 4 wrap coils. They ohm out at .30 and I use a lighter wick. Not like sloppy loose but medium tightness with good wiggle room. I cut it to just touch the bottom of juice wells( which is long on DR). I get a nice medium to warm vape with the right juicy-ness. Probably not much help but I wanted to share.

• Agree
Reactions: QcVaper

Mike P

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2017
I haven't tried the drop but it's similar to the dead rabbit(which I love) from what I hear and I'm also using the coilology ni80 coils(framed staple) in it with great sucsess.

from what you described and based on my own experience it sounds like your under wicked and over juiced.

roll the wicks up nice and tight in your palms, they should feel really snug going through the coils. if they rip or deform the coils you've got too much. try that and be careful not to over drip

Reactions: vapdivrr

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
So the stuff I've been using first.
- Drop RDA
- Native wicks cotton, platinum blend
- Coilology pre-built Nichrome coils and hand wraped geekvape kanthal coils.
-Mostly 70/30 blend eliquid
Lately I have had very little success with the builds I have put into my drop RDA. I feel like I have tried everything. I used to have amazing builds. But it seems that I don't get that warm, saturated and flavorful vape that I used to. It's more hot and spity.
I have tried using less cotton to avoid choking the coil. I have tried different kinds and size coils, and the position of said coils. Nothing I do seems to help. It seems that when I do get a decent build, I do nothing different.
The best build I can remember was hand wrapped claptons very close to the airflow with the bottom 4 holes taped off. Also with that build I used to wick my rdas really tight.
If anyone has decent advice, be sure to let me know.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Might want to rethink your coil builds. Going back to the basics like using single coil build with simple Kanthal wire can be the first step in establishing your sweet spot. The information below may give you some ideas on how to solve your problem:
Efficiency. Thinner wire and higher resistance VS thick wire and lower resistance
r/electronic_cigarette - Resistance is futile. Ohms are not king. Wattage is.
Higher Resistance, Lower Wattage vs Lower Resistance, Higher Wattage
The Vaper`s Guide to Flavour Chasing: 10 Tips To Maximise Flavour

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
I haven't tried the drop but it's similar to the dead rabbit(which I love) from what I hear and I'm also using the coilology ni80 coils(framed staple) in it with great sucsess.

from what you described and based on my own experience it sounds like your under wicked and over juiced.

roll the wicks up nice and tight in your palms, they should feel really snug going through the coils. if they rip or deform the coils you've got too much. try that and be careful not to over drip
As far as wicking to me slightly less is more. Wicking is a personal preference and I enjoy a juicy vape. To me a little snap-crackle-pop is a good thing. I do not want to burn my face off or anything. But I do like it somewhat warm. Now I do have a Bambino that I wick tighter for a completely different vape.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I don’t have the drop but may I suggest trying a different wicking medium, It might do the trick. Rayon is what I use, I find it wicks better and is more heat resistant. Also it has no flavor on its own, just the juice in it. Cotton gives me a paper flavor for a bit until it breaks in. It’s very cheap so it won’t cost a lot to give it a try. Good luck to you I hope you get it worked out.
Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2
Here’s a thread to check out about rayon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread